Sponsored

19 R vs 20 R differences/thoughts

awildpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
just recently drove a 2020 gt350r, thought i'd share little driving impression vs the 19 R

2020 R updates are suspension changes. Many including me thought FP just did it to streamline production and its not worth the price increase. Since now I drove it, there is a little bit difference worth talking about.

I never found steering feel in the R as good as I like but i've been spoiled by hydraulic and driving with mclaren on track. In the R, I just don't seem to find good feedback from the steering. I love the R for its balance and sound, it responds to your input beautifully on track and is very precise. My main complaint is steering feel but it's not a big deal compared to how good everything else is. Doesn't mean the steering is bad, it points precisely to where I want it to go, but just don't feel much connected. I never experienced any tramlining issue with my R, maybe because where I live have smoother roads. This car is really hard to improve on.

When I drove the 20 R, I noticed the way it turns is not exactly "better" but the best way to put it is more confidence inspiring. Same precise turn in, but it turns more rapidly and sharper, the car seem to turn more with the same steering input, don't know if it actually happens or it's just a feeling, but its a good setting. The front end still feels heavy in some corners like before (ofc its front engine), but the weight is handled better as it doesn't bother the steering as much as before through corners. The steering feel is improved a little bit but not by alot, but I'm happy with what they did. There is definitely an improvement, but I don't think most people including me will notice on the road, unless we're pushing it on the track.

Brakes are amazing as always, not much to say here. The 20Rs have solid rotors that should be more durable in the long run, but in the short track time i had with it, it felt the same like before (no fade, strong bite) which is a good thing.

On road I never got tramlining issues so I don't know how much improvement to tramlining there is with the 20 R. Driving the 20 R on road you can hardly tell theres a difference to previous ones. Maybe a little more feel in spirited driving on a backroad with twisty turns, but on track is where you want to be with these cars.

just some quick impressions to share if anyone's curious about actual differences. If you have anything different or other thoughts feel free to discuss.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
That is great information, awildpony! Thank you for telling us your impressions. I am ordering a 2020 350R and was a little worried the steering might have taken a step backward but it seems like that isn't the case.

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
Regarding the brakes, the switch to solid rotors was made in the 2019 models I believe.

carholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range Rover
Regarding the brakes, the switch to solid rotors was made in the 2019 models I believe.
Yes, even though many sources online and in magazines say the switch to smooth rotors is a MY2020 thing, my MY2019 already has it. Some also say B&O is a MY2020 thing, but my MY2019 also has that. I wonder what else has already been changed in the MY2019 R’s.

Sponsored

OP
OP
awildpony

awildpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
i know the 19s have the updated block, the B&O for sure as part of the tech package with puddle lamps and stuff, and the brakes.

The 19 R also got an updated ABS and brake calibration same as the 20 Rs but different from the previous model years.

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
Did the '19's get the new suspension and steering rack and all that jazz? Or was it the '20 cars only?
Not for 2019 ... steering rack is the 2020 change.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yes, even though many sources online and in magazines say the switch to smooth rotors is a MY2020 thing, my MY2019 already has it. Some also say B&O is a MY2020 thing, but my MY2019 also has that. I wonder what else has already been changed in the MY2019 R’s.
Many of thw changes happened in 19 but, the bas model got all the press therefore, no one knew about the improvements in the 19R

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
just recently drove a 2020 gt350r, thought i'd share little driving impression vs the 19 R

2020 R updates are suspension changes. Many including me thought FP just did it to streamline production and its not worth the price increase. Since now I drove it, there is a little bit difference worth talking about.

I never found steering feel in the R as good as I like but i've been spoiled by hydraulic and driving with mclaren on track. In the R, I just don't seem to find good feedback from the steering. I love the R for its balance and sound, it responds to your input beautifully on track and is very precise. My main complaint is steering feel but it's not a big deal compared to how good everything else is. Doesn't mean the steering is bad, it points precisely to where I want it to go, but just don't feel much connected. I never experienced any tramlining issue with my R, maybe because where I live have smoother roads. This car is really hard to improve on.

When I drove the 20 R, I noticed the way it turns is not exactly "better" but the best way to put it is more confidence inspiring. Same precise turn in, but it turns more rapidly and sharper, the car seem to turn more with the same steering input, don't know if it actually happens or it's just a feeling, but its a good setting. The front end still feels heavy in some corners like before (ofc its front engine), but the weight is handled better as it doesn't bother the steering as much as before through corners. The steering feel is improved a little bit but not by alot, but I'm happy with what they did. There is definitely an improvement, but I don't think most people including me will notice on the road, unless we're pushing it on the track.

Brakes are amazing as always, not much to say here. The 20Rs have solid rotors that should be more durable in the long run, but in the short track time i had with it, it felt the same like before (no fade, strong bite) which is a good thing.

On road I never got tramlining issues so I don't know how much improvement to tramlining there is with the 20 R. Driving the 20 R on road you can hardly tell theres a difference to previous ones. Maybe a little more feel in spirited driving on a backroad with twisty turns, but on track is where you want to be with these cars.

just some quick impressions to share if anyone's curious about actual differences. If you have anything different or other thoughts feel free to discuss.
Nice write up and appreciate your feedback which pretty much confirms to me that the biggest change to the 2020R is the new steering rack which was borrowed from the 2020 GT500 and as you mentioned this new steering rack has or should eliminate most all tramlining issues which was prevalent on many previous R model years.

Not sure what the steering ratio is for the 2020 R and if it remains unchanged from the 2019 R but believe that the 2020 model will have a 16.4 to 1 steering ratio which in my opinion could have been quickened and improved over previous years.

Aside from the improved steering on the 2020 R something to keep in mind is the $5000 increase in price for the 2020 920A Package but with the 2020 MY possibly being the final year for the R model either you jump on board real soon or look for an unsold 2019 R.

:wink:

Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Nice write up thanks. This is why I chose a leftover 19. Upgrades to the suspension aren’t worth the additional $5k.

I got my Performance Blue for $4800 off MSRP. For me it would have been a $10k swing to go with the 20 R

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R

Any idea on how the front alignment compared between the 2 cars?

BostonDMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2009 Porsche 911 CS, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C, 2017 Jeep SRT, 1998 Porsche Boxster (race car), 2017 Audi Allroad, 1998 Mercedes GL450, 2016 Subaru crosstrek

Thank you for your assessment, much appreciated!
So, just to make sure that I understood you correctly......
You are very diplomatically inplying that the little steering improvement is not worth the $5000 increase. Am I correct or did I misunderstand you?

OP
OP
awildpony

awildpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thank you for your assessment, much appreciated!
So, just to make sure that I understood you correctly......
You are very diplomatically inplying that the little steering improvement is not worth the $5000 increase. Am I correct or did I misunderstand you?
well i'm not in the 'worth it' club in the beginning and also thought theres no real improvement until I drove the car. I think worth it or not is dependent on the person, realistically that little change for 5k is hard to justify, but after driving the car, the 20 R convinced me that there is improvement, even though it's by a little. Personally, I don't mind the increase that much if there is actual improvement so if I choose, I'll go with the 20 Rs.

I wrote this to compare to 19s and previous Rs, wanting to show how the R is already an amazing car that's hard to improve on. The 20 Rs improvements are minute, same way how they retuned the abs & brake calibration in the 19Rs that made it a little bit quicker on track, but FP didn't publicly announce the upgrade. These changes are little but they make sense and add up to something a little better, that's what the 20 R is. On road however, all of the Rs feel basically the same under normal driving.

OP
OP
awildpony

awildpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Any idea on how the front alignment compared between the 2 cars?
unfortunately we didn't get the chance to look at how they are different side by side, just got couple laps in the 20s and I've tracked with a 19 R a couple times before so I just made a comparison based on what I felt driving them.
Sponsored