Sponsored

The big Intercooler thread.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I've always wondered... is this a thread about big intercoolers, or is it a big thread about intercoolers? :question:
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Considering very first post has the small and big intercooler photos, I’d say all.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Noticed zero downsides after install?

did you have the intercooler before the tune or after? Did you notice a difference after installing it at all
No downsides for me. I installed the intercooler a few months before the tune and the car felt healther. Of course that's all butt dyno and its not a daily. After the tune car feels much better all around. No other engine mods for me. Tune and intercooler are all I need at this point.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered it on cjpp, they have a 25 off 200+ now. It’s back ordered though. No biggie. 370 total tax included.

I saw post of people getting them for 300, I assume those sales don’t happen anymore though and 370 is normal since that’s the price everywhere.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry guys last question.
I have HKS bov / cold side CPE kit currently. my hot charge pipe is stock plastic. If I am replacing the intercooler to CPE this week, should I order a cpe hot side pipe? I can get it for 170 including the tax on top of order since CJPP has 75 off 500+

I looked up a video about the pipe on YouTube and a guy commented this under the video.- link below

What the hell is he talking about? I don't have any flutter right now, why would I get flutter by changing the pipe to a slightly larger pipe? So there's minimal pressure drop on the CPE intercooler, would adding the larger pipe, add more pressure drop? My cold side is already 2.5 inch, would mating the other side to 2.5 benefit me or hurt me performance wise?

Thanks!!

I also don't like wasting money, but if it would have any type of benefit and nothing negative, I'd toss it in since it will all be apart anyway.
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 12.13.27 PM.png

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I went with the Vortech Intercooler and charge pipes which will support 1000hp (yes I know the block won't sustain that) and my boost at WOT consistently hits 20 PSI. I also have had no loss of power with this 'full race' intercooler and no I don't have a tune......yet.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I went ahead and ordered the pipe, figure if the cold side is 2.5 and the intercooler is 2.5 might as well make the entering hot channel 2.5 to match the set.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
I went with the Vortech Intercooler and charge pipes which will support 1000hp (yes I know the block won't sustain that) and my boost at WOT consistently hits 20 PSI. I also have had no loss of power with this 'full race' intercooler and no I don't have a tune......yet.
i'm not a turbo expert but presumably the turbo can compensate for the extra pressure loss if your not running it that hard at 20psi. if you tried running it hard near its max boost (26-27psi?) presumably you would notice the losses.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
i'm not a turbo expert but presumably the turbo can compensate for the extra pressure loss if your not running it that hard at 20psi. if you tried running it hard near its max boost (26-27psi?) presumably you would notice the losses.

will I experience this loss? I have the ford performance tune, so its getting more PSI than stock. I already have a cold pipe 2.5 (because of HKS bov) so did I already lose the pressure loss that would of happened? or am I adding more pressure loss by adding a 2.5 pipe hot side on top?

so confused.

so mine will be - turbo to 2.5 hot pipe, to CPE delta intercooler FMIC - to 2.5 cold charge pipes to engine.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Your setup will work perfectly.
You will experience no loss.
Ignore the "maybe" or "should".
With what you are getting, you will realize the full potential of the tune.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My boost gauge only reads up to 20 PSI and before the Vortech intercooler was installed the max boos was 18-19 lbs. so I am getting more boost with this intercooler installed, unfortunately I don't know what that is. When I do get a tune (when the drivetrain warranty is up) I will go to a stage 3 pro tune as by then I will have changed the down pipe and I have all the other supporting mods on the engine for horsepower. With the accessport I will be able to see what the boost is. As for now I have not lost any performance with the larger intercooler and i have the patience to wait until the warranty is up to turn the car up.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I went ahead and ordered the pipe, figure if the cold side is 2.5 and the intercooler is 2.5 might as well make the entering hot channel 2.5 to match the set.
I ran the cp-e Exhale Cold pipe and cp-e HOTcharge Hot pipe on my 2015 with zero issues. In fact, it reduced flutter and was more responsive due to moving the BOV over to the cold side. I first installed the pipes with the OEM intercooler, then a month later upgraded to the Mishimoto intercooler. Again, no pressure losses and more power since my timing wan't being pulled due to heat soak like was happening with the POS OEM unit. Whoever posted on AM about the cp-e pipes causing flutter had something else going on with his setup.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have any fluttering or anything w the cpe hks cold side, so that confused me wondering why just changing the pipe from plastic to slightly bigger metal would cause flutter.

I do read people having flutter using hot side tial/hks though. But may be isolated.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am holding off, I decided to wait for performance lethal Black Friday 15% off and tax free sale. Comes out to 50 bucks lower than CJPP all said and done.

Cant wait

Cars already in garage for the last week til spring, so no rush really
Sponsored