corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That’s just BS. the A10 isn’t perfect, but none of the issues in that quote are typical. Mine doesn’t do any of that.
Keep in mind that Evo is a UK magazine. That they'd favor a conventional 3-pedal MT or perhaps a good DSG is to be expected. Their bias against automatics in general isn't very well hidden if marks' quote from them is at all typical,

That said, it sounds very much like their drivers tend to notice smaller time lags than the average North American driver even picks up on, and that once noticed it becomes objectionable to them. And from there, exaggerated for effect in the review.

Norm
Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I loved my A10 far more after tuning the car, which happened after the 500 mile break in. In stock form, Ford's programming was a bit schizo in my car. The first 1-2 cold shift was horrible...every time. So when someone talks about an A10's performance, I almost instantly know that car isn't tuned, and the horrible tuning Ford did on it stock is still apparent. I've talked to Chevy guys with the same trans. and none of them had the cold (mostly part throttle, off throttle searching for a gear) shift issues or schizo type feeling complaints I endured for the first month or so driving the car before I tuned it....which makes me pretty sure the difference isn't in the tranny but indeed the manufacturers tuning of it. Fords tuning of it is pretty bad in my opinion, but my only experience is with my '18, maybe the '19's and now 20's are better?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey man... Don't get too caught up in the menusia... Somepeople Will never be happy and will complain about everything and make mountains out of a pebble...
Sometimes when a decision can't be reached by considering only the big things, it ends up being driven by the little ones. Which is likely to go in different directions for different people.

Plus this is a internet forum, you're never gonna see someone create a thread saying "today i drove to Wal-Mart and the car was awesome." You're only going to see people post when they have issues or if they want to vent.
This is also a Mustang enthusiast forum. When everything is going well, why would you not expect the default feelings to range from at least good up through truly exceptional? Why not assume the good in the absence of any mention of bad?

FWIW, I expect to find at least a few moments of consciously-noticed enjoyment every time I drive. If I didn't, it'd mean that I'd be driving a car that wasn't right for me to begin with.

That will unfairly skew your perceptions of things. If you are happy with your car thats all that matters it has a warranty so if it breaks its Ford's problem right? They'll put you in a car while they fix it.
OP is looking for help in deciding if the 10R80 is going to be a good fit for him - remember that he doesn't have it yet. I don't know of anybody who's actually happy about having to use the warranty process or who enjoys using a loaner while still paying for the car he isn't able to use.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
They don't even seem to be aware of the technical implementation details of the new A10 :D
They could also be trying to evaluate it while it's still trying to 'learn'. Which could be problematic in a car that gets passed from driver to driver before ever being driven enough by any one of them.

Norm

Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
More likely to be the user, don't blame the transmission if you find three pedals too difficult or clutch too heavy.

Great hyperbole though on this thread, keep it up!

The reality is from car magazines like Evo

"Transmission choices are between a six-speed manual ’box, and a new ten-speed automatic. The manual has a satisfyingly hefty shift, in keeping with its rough-and-ready image." "But we now come to the automatic transmission" "slow, slurring shifts and overactive torque converter makes it feel like the car is rarely ever fully engaged in a gear. Take control with the paddle shifters and the transmission’s convoluted software is less obvious, but the car still suffers from shudderingly slow shifts, leaving you totally unaware of whether a gear is engaged, causing the revs to flare if you apply throttle during the constant stream of shifts, then surging forward as a gear does eventually engage"
If you want to live in Evo's world go ahead but you'll be missing out on a great transmission. This assumes you aren't driving it like a total wanker. Why is it that the magazines don't seem to like the A10 but, almost universally, true owners love it? (somewhat rhetorical) I have a '19 and I understand that the earlier '18s weren't fully dialed in so maybe that accounts for some of the negative press? The good news is the A10 is programmable and software updates can change the way it shifts. Are we even sure Evo was driving an A10??

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The A10 is one of the best autos I have used (and I have used lots of torque convertors and dual clutch boxes). Evo love manual boxes and Porsches with PDK's and everything else is no good. Shame really as the mag is quite good in other respects. They love their current Fast Fleet Mustang (manual)

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Still happen I bought the A10?!?!?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

I drive it in SPORT+ mode with traction control off and steering in NORMAL mode and it's a blast.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Fuck ya I am. This thing is crazy awesome. Love pullin on the current GT's I come across on the highway.

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I'm still tickled to death and I haven't even tried drag mode yet.
Well, then... Just remember this time and how happy you think you are now. Flipping a switch for an instant shift kit is friggin' awesome...

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a A10 to M6....I did get the Bullett however. I would say I love the manual so much better. Yes its slower vs the A10 but it feels better. You can fix some of the sloppiness with upgrading supporting mods like the clutch springs and MGW shifter and transmission bushing. Its all fun after.
Wish my back didn't have the nerve damage. I had to finally give up my previous manual for the A10. But I love having the paddles. Def a added feature.

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
Wish my back didn't have the nerve damage. I had to finally give up my previous manual for the A10. But I love having the paddles. Def a added feature.
Sorry to hear. The Auto is great just not as fun. If I could have two cars one auto and one Manual would be perfect :D
Sponsored