Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I did not say “it is not a track car” in the same vein as a certain company saying GT PP2 “is not intended for track”. I said it is not Corvette’s track car. ANY Corvette or V8 6th Gen Camaro (including my convertible) is track capable and warrantied for track use. But when Chevrolet tunes Corvettes for the track, the focus is on Grand Sport and Z06, as well as any Camaro with 1LE trim (including 4 and 6 cylinders). There is track capable (my car, C8 Stingray) and track purposed (any 1LE, any ZL1, Grand Sport, and Z06).
Ok, so its the best "track" Corvette we can compare the GT500 to at this time. Fight with the army you have , not the one you wish you had.
Sponsored

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Like I said, have these times been matched? You don’t think having the GT500 for a whole day on a well prepped track to get the fastest time is not a hero run? I thought you were a drag guy?? You trying to tell me if GM asked you to take there ZL1 to your favorite track for the day and do whatever you can to get the fastest 1/4 mile time, you wouldn’t beat a 11.3 magazine time? And once you got your best time after all day, it’s not a hero run?? This is common sense, not fanboyism
quoting the best times for the zl1 isn’t what it does all day in any drivers hands.

You’re trying to tell me that having a team of Chevy engineers messing with the car and all day to run the car didn’t produce hero runs?

As for the gt500...

ford quotes a 10.7. And their numbers are usually conservative. No teams of ford engineers to work on the car during runs, etc. just people driving a bone stock car in poor conditions in Vegas and good conditions in Florida.

Next you’re going to say the Demon is not really a 10 second car because some drivers get 12s and 13s?

the fact that a car with 760 hp is doing 10s and 11s at it’s worst with crap drivers (sorry YouTube community) is already proven that the 500 is not only extremely fast, but that it’s consistently able to be driven fast by anyone. The fact that better drivers are going deeply into the tens in better conditions is showing what the car itself is capable of. Zl1 hero runs in 11.3. Gt500 in 10.6.
Big difference.

And the 500 isn’t in people’s garages yet.
It was made for consistency. It has taken crazy horsepower and buttoned it didn’t to civilized control.

Look for impressive numbers on bone stock cars out of Florida and California very soon.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
quoting the best times for the zl1 isn’t what it does all day in any drivers hands.

You’re trying to tell me that having a team of Chevy engineers messing with the car and all day to run the car didn’t produce hero runs?

As for the gt500...

ford quotes a 10.7. And their numbers are usually conservative. No teams of ford engineers to work on the car during runs, etc. just people driving a bone stock car in poor conditions in Vegas and good conditions in Florida.

Next you’re going to say the Demon is not really a 10 second car because some drivers get 12s and 13s?

the fact that a car with 760 hp is doing 10s and 11s at it’s worst with crap drivers (sorry YouTube community) is already proven that the 500 is not only extremely fast, but that it’s consistently able to be driven fast by anyone. The fact that better drivers are going deeply into the tens in better conditions is showing what the car itself is capable of. Zl1 hero runs in 11.3. Gt500 in 10.6.
Big difference.

And the 500 isn’t in people’s garages yet.
It was made for consistency. It has taken crazy horsepower and buttoned it didn’t to civilized control.

Look for impressive numbers on bone stock cars out of Florida and California very soon.
I guess we will find out soon enough. But no matter what, it’s still a very fast car.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Ok, so its the best "track" Corvette we can compare the GT500 to at this time. Fight with the army you have , not the one you wish you had.
I can only repeat what I’ve already said....

..... There is track capable (my car, C8 Stingray) and track purposed (any 1LE, any ZL1, Grand Sport, and Z06).
Similar exists for Mustang. GT PP2 is track capable (despite what Ford says, I guess) and GT350 / 350R and GT500 / CFTP are track purposed.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's too bad GM is pulling the plug on the Camaro again. It was such a fun competition. A Vette and a Mustang don't really compete in the same market segment. As for the argument, that the GT500 is or isn't a track car, you can track just about anything. But, don't forget the laws of physics. A 4200 lb car with the engine in the front has a considerable disadvantage against a 3500 lb car with the engine in the middle.

Sponsored

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
..... There is track capable (my car, C8 Stingray) and track purposed (any 1LE, any ZL1, Grand Sport, and Z06). Similar exists for Mustang. GT PP2 is track capable (despite what Ford says, I guess) and GT350 / 350R and GT500 / CFTP are track purposed.
You need to be a little more specific. What do you mean by ‘capable’ and ‘purposed’?

But, don't forget the laws of physics. A 4200 lb car with the engine in the front has a considerable disadvantage against a 3500 lb car with the engine in the middle.
You forgot the laws of physics of 760hp against 495hp.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You need to be a little more specific. What do you mean by ‘capable’ and ‘purposed’?

You forgot the laws of physics of 760hp against 495hp.
Capable: Is equipped to be able to be driven competently on the track with little or no concern of overheating the engine, transmission, rear diff., or brakes. Can handle taking the curves at high speed. Example...my car has most, but not all, of the coolers included in more track purposed cars like a ZL1. I can and have taken my car onto M1 Concourse and pretty much held my own. Didn’t cook my brakes or boil my rear diff fluid or put the vehicle into limp home mode. Not for serious competition, but hella-fun for HDPE.

Purposed: Set up by the manufacturer to be competitive in a track environment. May or may not involve trade-offs to daily drivability to achieve maximum track capability. Examples...GT350R, Camaro SS 1LE, Camaro ZL1. Examples of trade-offs of driveability to maximize track capability...ZL1 1LE replacing MR suspension with Multimatic DSSV, GT350R removing the rear seats

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Thing is, the base C8 isn’t Corvette’s “track car” by any stretch of the imagination. No more than GT350 is supposed to be a drag car. Stingray wasn’t the track car for C7 and it won’t be for C8. The fact that the C8 Stingray came close to the C7 Z06 on one track is testament to how good the C8 is at something it isn’t even supposed to be good at. The C8 Grand Sport and Z06 will be the track stars, not Stingray.
This dog can chase it’s tail all day. The fan boys are going to beat their chests about their brand. Chevy fan boys came in their pants. when the C8 was released. Base model 0-60 in under 3 seconds they said. Will destroy everything around a track. For under 60 grand. They said. Not the case. Once the car was independently tested. What, nobody wants to talk about Camaros no more? Why did the Chevy fan boys jump on the Corvette band wagon so hard? Because in their hearts. They knew the Camaros time is over! Then Ford FINALLY released the GT500. About two years to late. And the Ford guys got all gooey. 10.6 they say. Will destroy everything around a track. They say. Still remains to be seen as far as I’m concerned. These are all performance cars! This track capable vs track car argument is lame! I don’t care if your a Ford or Chevy guy. The Mustang PP2 is a track capable car? No shit! The Base Corvette is a track capable car. Again no shit. Don’t get caught up in the BS. I used to race a stage 3 suspension & turbo SRT-4. (look it up) and I promise you the Corvette, GT500 and 911 owners didn’t care if that neon was TRACK CAPABLE. OR A TRACK CAR. When I passed them coming out of a turn. They also didn’t care what it cost. Compared to their cars. They just knew it was a bad little mother f$&ker. And said so. This is one of those arguments that can go on for 30 pages. And at the end of the day. Nobody wins. But both camps fan boys will claim victory. The C8 appears to be an amazing car. At a very attractive price. The same can be said for the Mustang offerings. Where else are you going to get a car that runs 10s and circles a track like the GT500 for under 100 grand? The GT350 has been the drivers car of choice. Since it came out. I’ll tell you this. If I was loaded. I’d have a GT500 and a C8 Corvette. In my garage. F$&k it. Might as well throw a redeye in just for good measure. Cause they're all bad mother f$&kers. Sometimes you just got to give the devil his due. And say good job to the other side.

Last edited:

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Dood, wtf else are we going to kill time on while couch potatoing?

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
This is one of those arguments that can go on for 30 pages.
We’re only up to 6 pages. We need to try harder to get even close to the other two C8 threads that are approaching 60 and 100 pages.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The other threads didn't start with the (false?) premise that the GT500 was the superior car. /ducks

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
The other threads didn't start with the (false?) premise that the GT500 was the superior car. /ducks
Quicker in the 1/4 and faster around a road course. So unless you believe being cheaper or winning races across an intersection make the C8 superior i'm not sure how you arrive at the "false" conclusion.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
We’re only up to 6 pages. We need to try harder to get even close to the other two C8 threads that are approaching 60 and 100 pages.
How about the 7.3 engine swap thread :facepalm:
Sponsored