Sponsored

Subtle cat back: Magnaflow street VS FP by Borla touring?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Ended up ordering the Magnaflow. Better price, proven (on here), and the comment about the FP system possibly being restrictive scared me off since I already have the fp tune. Excited to get it installed while I still have a little top down weather to hear it better with! Thanks everyone for the input.
Congrats! I'm sure you're going to like it. I think you'll also be amazed how easy the replacement is.
Sponsored

RickA1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost premium 2019
Hmmmmm..too dow
Ended up ordering the Magnaflow. Better price, proven (on here), and the comment about the FP system possibly being restrictive scared me off since I already have the fp tune. Excited to get it installed while I still have a little top down weather to hear it better with! Thanks everyone for the input.
Hmmmm.....top down? If you have a convertible I don't think this or any other catback will fit......

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
It's supposed to fit but may be a tight squeeze. Thinking of bringing it to a shop for that reason. My old man back issues have nothing to do with it :p

Mscratch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
It's supposed to fit but may be a tight squeeze. Thinking of bringing it to a shop for that reason. My old man back issues have nothing to do with it :p
I went to professional muffler shop that specializes in dual exhaust systems, they only charged me $60 to install it.

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only reason I was thinking of doing myself is so I can fiddle with the tip depth..

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Only reason I was thinking of doing myself is so I can fiddle with the tip depth..
You can do that yourself after an install. The Magnaflow exhaust comes in several sections. All you would have to do is loosen the clamp on that last section and move it in/out. It's so easy to install though, I would think they could do it while you wait and you could ask to look at the tips before tightening down.

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up doing the install on jack stands. It wasn't too bad except removing the convertible bracing was kind of a p i t a and I couldn't figure out how to get the tips somewhat even without one of the pipes touching the bracing afterwards. I took it for a test drive though and it doesn't seem to be rattling.
The sound is super deep , it was actually louder than I thought it was going to be. With the top down it's a little intense at certain RPM ranges but I'm assuming I'll get used to it. To me it does feel faster and lighter though. Compared to picking up the MagnaFlow box and picking up the full Factory Cat-Back system to remove it you realize how ridiculously heavy the factory system is!

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually thinking of uninstalling it now. The base (drone?) is too deep/overpowering when the top is down, especially when holding a gear while coming to a stop (I have a manual trans). It drowns out my stereo and I have an old-school band pass sub-woofer installed lol. I think if I had a coupe I would love it because it sounds pretty sweet when the top is up, but with it down it's just too much for my ears. Maybe I wouldn't get this with auto since it's constantly switching rpms.

Anyways, I got a good deal on it but no returns so I'm willing to sell at a decent price and it's still installed if someone isn't too far from New Haven, CT area and wants to come listen to it this weekend. I'll probably take it out early next week to keep it like new.

Maybe next summer I try the FP Borla. I think the smaller piping will really help fit it over the convertible bracing. The magnaflow fits and I was able to get it off the bracing, but I think I would need a professional to get it just right with no rattling and perfect tip alignment. Either way it was kinda fun learning to install an exhaust so no regrets...anything to keep me out of trouble in my slow season lol...

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Awe touring
No drone

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s my awe- except I have a Roush y pipe.

RickA1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost premium 2019
Ended installing a resonator to my Magnaflow catback. Cold start drone was too much (Garage under master bedroom.....wife not happy).

Now it's quieter, no drone and perfect volume in my opinion.
Sponsored