Sponsored

Any Rumors of a New GT500 Convertible Model in the Future?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the Mustang GT over the ZL1?
My thought process had a few steps, but if I were to sort of distill it down to the most basic reasoning: with my MRR wheels (already owned), and a SmartTop module (~$225), the main difference with my loaded PP/A10 car, was the HP, for $12K-$15K (with roughly a comparable car in terms of used/new/discounts/etc.)

On my case, I scored an __insane__ deal on a lightly used GT, in a unique color (that would've required a new ZL1, so closer to $24K).

And for that extra HP, I was also - after a lot of thought put into it - taking a negative hit on a few things (trunk access/space, less safety tech, etc.)
Sponsored

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
You don't even need a CAI, in fact, the heat soak from an open design might be notably detrimental. I'd say, without going FI, just drop in a panel filter (maybe remove the carbon panel from the stock airbox)
Completely agree. After quite a bit of reading and seeing Dyno results, a drop in K&N style filter seems to perform just as well, if not better than many CAI designs. I found 2 studies that picked up 7-8 whp with a K&N filter alone.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I used an aFE that was in my previous car, dry model, so washed it, dried it, swapped it over (the airbox/intake tube designs are different, but same filter). I also pulled the carbon panel, it's a small plastic insert with a paper element in the airbox, snaps right out.

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kia Stinger, 2018 Kia Sedona
I was thinking of something more along the lines of the Roush CAI--Seems completely enclosed but with a larger air filter. Searching out some potential headers now.

I LOVE gathering this type of info!! Much thanks to everyone who has replied so far and offered advice!

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I was thinking of something more along the lines of the Roush CAI--Seems completely enclosed but with a larger air filter. Searching out some potential headers now.

I LOVE gathering this type of info!! Much thanks to everyone who has replied so far and offered advice!
Those are cool looking. Just know that you are likely paying an additional $350 for appearance. I doubt they would net you more than 1 whp over a drop-in filter. Headers and tune would definitely help!

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the Mustang GT over the ZL1?
It was mostly practical considerations. I wanted a rear seat big enough for my grandkids as they got bigger. The current gen ZL1 rear seat room is poor. I liked the looks and room of the previous generation a lot more. But, I wanted a warranty. Most of the people who live around here drive SUVs with good reason. Traffic and road conditions make it difficult to really enjoy any kind of performance vehicle; especially one with 20" wheels, like the ZL1. The GT has more performance than I have the opportunity to use. More power is pointless. I have been trying to convince myself otherwise for years. It's finally sinking in.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
715ACC1E-9F2E-40CB-AADA-5BEC48F25102.jpeg
May get roasted for this but I actually hope they don’t make a vert GT500 or GT350, going forward. In my mind, a “race” car should have a fixed roof.
You mean like this...

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
You don't even need a CAI, in fact, the heat soak from an open design might be notably detrimental. I'd say, without going FI, just drop in a panel filter (maybe remove the carbon panel from the stock airbox), do a tune, especially if you can go with E/E85, and maybe headers.

AED (Shaun specifically)

I drove a couple (one coupe, though I was planning on a convertible), and I'll tell, around town, that being in the sort of under-50-stop-and-go, the GT with the A10/3.55 feels just as quick - the ZL1 is with an A10 has a 2.85 rear, so that there's any traction, so it feels like it has a lot more up top, but needs that extra room (like merging into the highway, from 40-80-ish, it's a beast).

I think both cars are basically traction limited, now with the E85 tune, hahaha, in S+ it bangs through, and chirps through the first 4 gears :D
If you want a really fast Mustang Vert...go with the Shelby version:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is a sharp car!

CVCashmere

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Something about adding boost to an engine that has a 12:1 compression ratio to start with won't induce a lot of relaxed sleep.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it nowadays. OBDII does a very good job at keeping an eye on your engine. Run good fuel, make sure you get tuned by someone who knows what they're doing, and you'll be fine. The GT350 is 12:1 and has routinely sucked up 10 - 12psi all day every day without a hiccup. Good quality fuel, smart reasonable tuning, absolutely no problems whatsoever.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Maybe at some point there will be a product positioned above the GT, but below the GT500, that's available to both coupes and convertibles (kind of like @Sigma6 said).
If you don't need PP1 or 2, the CS option could be a good choice. It's a low production vehicle with many interesting and exclusive features.
20190709_164853.jpg
Sponsored