Brand new PP2 woes.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Lol everyone said that even when it had 0 miles. The sport cup 2s look bald brand new. (They basically are bald brand new)
One reason I stayed away from the PP2. Those tires are basically useless to me.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, only 19x9s.
Look for cheap Mustang OEM 19" wheels - off Ecoboost or GTs, I have a set that I use for winter, they easily fit over the brakes (like mentioned earlier - they're standard GT PP brakes). Alternatively, probably any aftermarket 19" wheel will fit. Look at the OE wheels - they cheap and fairly decent replicas. Also - SVEs at LMR.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
One reason I stayed away from the PP2. Those tires are basically useless to me.
First off, congrats on the new car. It sucks this happened but you will get a new wheel and tire and all will be right in the your Mustang world. Secondly, its easy for us forum guys/girls to tell you your car "should" be OK. You should have your front end checked out just in case.
Lastly, you live in PA. Honestly you do not want summer tires in you neck of the woods. I agree with the others recommending the AS3+. I had them when I lived in NJ and they were awesome. Pair them up with a set of the recommended low cost wheels and you have your winter setup.

I do have one question though. Why did you buy the PP2 vs the PP1? I presume the wheels and tires were part (a large part?) of making that decision. Yes, $1200.00 is a lot for a wheel but if you love them consider it part of the cost of buying that package. You can wait until the spring and get it them. Maybe even get a take off or used one.

OP
OP

Bowdy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2, 401a
First off, congrats on the new car. It sucks this happened but you will get a new wheel and tire and all will be right in the your Mustang world. Secondly, its easy for us forum guys/girls to tell you your car "should" be OK. You should have your front end checked out just in case.
Lastly, you live in PA. Honestly you do not want summer tires in you neck of the woods. I agree with the others recommending the AS3+. I had them when I lived in NJ and they were awesome. Pair them up with a set of the recommended low cost wheels and you have your winter setup.

I do have one question though. Why did you buy the PP2 vs the PP1? I presume the wheels and tires were part (a large part?) of making that decision. Yes, $1200.00 is a lot for a wheel but if you love them consider it part of the cost of buying that package. You can wait until the spring and get it them. Maybe even get a take off or used one.
Wheels/Tires was definitely a huge part of it, as well as the suspension/sway bar upgrades. I really wanted a focus on handling. I plan on putting Pilot Sport 4s on the factory rims. Summer tires are fine in PA for about 7 months of the year imo. The rest of the year I will rock whatever winter setup I end up getting.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest talking a look at the upper strut mounts on the magride... they're known to not be all that durable, and a shock like that could put some wear on them. Personally, I would probably be replacing them, but if you don't plan on tracking the car, it shouldn't be a HUGE concern. Just if you replace them, keep in mind that the bolts that hold them in are single use only

Also, as far as winter wheels go, LMR has some pretty cheap PP2 reps that would make for a good winter wheel (low cost, retains the same appearance)

Sponsored

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Insurance wasn't mentioned, but comprehensive should pay for your damage, less deductible of course.

That was a helluva hit on the wheel!

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
If you're looking to have 2 sets of wheels/tires, one winter and the OEMs for summer, Tire Rack has done the math on wheel and tire size based on your vehicle. Quite a few choices for looks and performance. This is the link for 2019 Mustang GT with PP1 if you're interested. As previously mentioned, PP1 and PP2 brakes are the same size.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/res...9&autoModClar=GT+Performance+Pkg&package=true

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
So i recently bought my first ever brand new car, and first ever mustang. 2019 PP2 401a, magnetic grey with red interior. I absolutely love it.

A storm of epic proportions blew through my home town last night, leaving all sorts of debrid on the road. On the way to work at 6am, I managed to run over a piece of cinder block in the middle of the road. I immediately pulled into the nearest parking lot, only to find 2 other cars awaiting a tow that had hit the same thing. (Including another mustang!)

So now I await the full damage report. Just the one wheel is going to be 1200$ with 7 day delivery. I also might as well replace all 4 tires with PS4S. But while its in I figured I might just get some winter wheels and tires. Anyone have suggestions for nice aftermarket wheels in the 19x9 range? I'm unsure of things like offset, and what will clear my big ass front brakes.

Hopefully there is no structural damage. It was quite a wallop. Anybody know how much of a beating those magnetic shocks can handle? Thanks for any insight, and wish me luck with my baby :( I hope a car with 2k miles isn't going to be forever damaged.
20191101_070741.jpg
Ouch!
Visual inspection is first troubleshooting step. Decide on your new shoes and drive it. & Maybe then you will have your shock concern closer to being sorted out.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
She'll be alright, just get some new horseshoes and you are good to go...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
She'll be alright, just get some new horseshoes and you are good to go...
And you know this how? What if G-d forbid something is broken and it leads to a crash? Sorry, but anyone with an ounce of common sense would take it in to the dealer just to be sure. And safe.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
This thread did not deliver!!! I came in for the expected BBQ tick & subsequent buyback complaints associated with the title! Fail!

J/K OP sorry your car had a rough bump hopefully you get it sorted and are revving again :)

Mavtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1 #3530
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 PP2.

Couple thoughts:
-I was told the Shleby PP2 wheels were forged and thus this is why they cost so much.
-I live in AZ, ran my cup2’s until they were bald and switched to long wearing, winterable Zeon RS3G1s and they seem to be OK. No where near as grippy as the cup2’s. But when i drive up to the mountains in the winter the Zeons stay sticky where the cup2’s would have been hard plastic in 30 degree weather.
-Also regarding why PP2 vs PP1: chassis upgrades and inclusion of vehicle dynamics module, similar to the GT350s.
-the PP2 chassis is so much stiffer than the PP1, great for power driving. Curves and all. And if you were thinking supercharger the PP2 makes so much more sense.
-Basically the PP2 is as close to a Shelby as you can get without paying 70k+.
Im very happy with my PP2, and think the Ford engineers were thinking correctly when designing this version.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have a 2019 PP2.

Couple thoughts:
-I was told the Shleby PP2 wheels were forged and thus this is why they cost so much.
-I live in AZ, ran my cup2’s until they were bald and switched to long wearing, winterable Zeon RS3G1s and they seem to be OK. No where near as grippy as the cup2’s. But when i drive up to the mountains in the winter the Zeons stay sticky where the cup2’s would have been hard plastic in 30 degree weather.
-Also regarding why PP2 vs PP1: chassis upgrades and inclusion of vehicle dynamics module, similar to the GT350s.
-the PP2 chassis is so much stiffer than the PP1, great for power driving. Curves and all. And if you were thinking supercharger the PP2 makes so much more sense.
-Basically the PP2 is as close to a Shelby as you can get without paying 70k+.
Im very happy with my PP2, and think the Ford engineers were thinking correctly when designing this version.
Little off topic but PP2 wheels have nothing to do with Shelby and chassis between PP1 and PP2 is exactly the same. There are very minor differences between the two one of them being different Magneride calibration. Every S550 mustang has VDM. I'm glad you're very happy but you're spreading misinformation about that car...
Software, wheels and minor part differences is what's different between and PP2 is nowhere close to GT350.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Little off topic but PP2 wheels have nothing to do with Shelby and chassis between PP1 and PP2 is exactly the same. There are very minor differences between the two one of them being different Magneride calibration. Every S550 mustang has VDM. I'm glad you're very happy but you're spreading misinformation about that car...
Software, wheels and minor part differences is what's different between and PP2 is nowhere close to GT350.
"The Level 2 also comes standard with the magnetorheological dampers—they’re optional with the GT Performance Package—along with spring rates that are 20 percent stiffer up front and 13 percent firmer at the rear. The Level 2’s anti-roll bars are beefier, too, the front by 12 percent and the rear—which switches from a tubular bar to a solid one—by 67 percent. The Level 2 also gets a larger front splitter. it includes the dampers that are $1695 extra with the lesser package. Factor that in and the upcharge pencils out to $810 for the wider wheels, stickier rubber, more extreme aero bits, and the retuned chassis elements.

At Lightning lap, the PP2 went faster than an M5 competition and SS 1LE and was exactly 2 seconds slower than a GT350R (GT350 never tested), faster than a 2013 GT500 and 2006 Ford GT, crushed a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, but here, look for yourself: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

Quite frankly, I think the PP2 would give a GT350 a run for its money on the track.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
"The Level 2 also comes standard with the magnetorheological dampers—they’re optional with the GT Performance Package—along with spring rates that are 20 percent stiffer up front and 13 percent firmer at the rear. The Level 2’s anti-roll bars are beefier, too, the front by 12 percent and the rear—which switches from a tubular bar to a solid one—by 67 percent. The Level 2 also gets a larger front splitter. it includes the dampers that are $1695 extra with the lesser package. Factor that in and the upcharge pencils out to $810 for the wider wheels, stickier rubber, more extreme aero bits, and the retuned chassis elements.

At Lightning lap, the PP2 went faster than an M5 competition and SS 1LE and was exactly 2 seconds slower than a GT350R (GT350 never tested), faster than a 2013 GT500 and 2006 Ford GT, crushed a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, but here, look for yourself: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

Quite frankly, I think the PP2 would give a GT350 a run for its money on the track.
Exactly what I wrote - bars, springs, calibration and wider wheels. That's not a chassis. I am quite familiar with PP2, fellow local autocrosser has it. Not trying to take anything from it and not need for butt hurt but it's much closer to PP1 than to GT350. Wheels are nice (likely will buy replicas from SVE because I love the look) but they have nothing to fdo with Shelby, and chassis is exactly the same (which is obvious for anyone remotely familiar with how corporations build cars).

In fact Magneride Handling Kit likely makes PP1 (and PP2) handle better since it says that PP2 will benefit from springs and bars in this kit and Magneride calibration is same.
Sponsored