Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
it is just getting started, both trims of the GT500 were tested the GS, Z06, and ZR1 haven’t even released yet. The GT500 is beating a base 65k car with a Z51 package on a clean pavement “track” by 2-3 tenths and the GT500 was at a NHRA drag strip. The fact is, when the faster models come out you’ll be back to singing the can’t compare it to a Vette song again. Same guys that compare a 65k GT350R to a 40k camaro SS 1LE. The GT500 is great. But “crushed” is not even close to the right word lol.. but what ever you have to tell yourself. It’s always fun watching the fanbois on each side.
All I can say is I was at Sebring almost a year ago when they were testing the C8R in camo, at night and all I can say is if the new Z06 is based off of that car watch out.
Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They don't dismiss it, but saying for the same price, it crushes the R performance wise. If the GT500 was the same price as the C8, then the C8 would have nothing to brag about. But being $14K less for its performance is a very good value.
How many cars will sell at 60k? Not many. The price point of these cars will be nearly the same. The GT500 is clearly the performance winner.

But the C8 Z06 will come out and of will kill the GT500. But the cost will be 100k+. ZL1 150k+

Why are people not comparing the Mustang to the Camaro anymore? Pretty awesome that Ford has upped the game far enough to be compared to Chevys top offering.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
How many cars will sell at 60k? Not many. The price point of these cars will be nearly the same. The GT500 is clearly the performance winner.

But the C8 Z06 will come out and of will kill the GT500. But the cost will be 100k+. ZL1 150k+

Why are people not comparing the Mustang to the Camaro anymore? Pretty awesome that Ford has upped the game far enough to be compared to Chevys top offering.

People that are into cars and not swinging off the nuts of one manufacture or the other do compare the 2. And most think the GT500 will one up the ZL1 1LE. especially at a drag strip. But you would kinda hope the base GT500 thats around the same price point as the 1LE can beat it and doesnt need the 100k mustang to be able to beat the 65k Camaro. I personally think around a tight track its going to be really close. a big open track i believe the 500 will get it. i personally compare the ZL1 1LE to the GT350R because they come in at the same price point. if i was spending 65-70k on a car i wouldnt say. welp better not get the ______ it has FI/NA. I think thats why so many are comparing the Mustang now to the Vette. Ford put a Mustang in the same pricing category as a Vette, along with a hand full of other cars that will be "cross shopped" ie me when i buy my next car and it will (hopefully) be in the 8k-90k range.

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

then the KR comes and and slaughters the Z06. Then the Zr1 comes out and... Add, rinse, repeat.

It is crazy that the top Mustang has overcome the new vette for the time being.

Looking forward to seeing how GM responds and how Ford answers back.

Unbelievable times. The 60’s had nothing on this.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
They don't dismiss it, but saying for the same price, it crushes the R performance wise. If the GT500 was the same price as the C8, then the C8 would have nothing to brag about. But being $14K less for its performance is a very good value.
These guys don’t like bringing the money on the table, especially the actual sale price out of pocket to own the car. There are some here already paid ADM to own a GT350, and same will happen for the GT500. When comparing cars the money is not part of the comparison. I remember one guy here telling me you can’t compare a ZL1 to GT350 because one is force fed the other is not. You are dealing it 5 year olds mostly.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
These guys don’t like bringing the money on the table, especially the actual sale price out of pocket to own the car. There are some here already paid ADM to own a GT350, and same will happen for the GT500. When comparing cars the money is not part of the comparison. I remember one guy here telling me you can’t compare a ZL1 to GT350 because one is force fed the other is not. You are dealing it 5 year olds mostly.
If comparing prices, MSRP to MSRP is the only comparison to make here. Deals can be had across the country. Not everyone is going to pay ADMIN, and in this price range...folks are going to shop outside of their normal market. Also, once you start talking price out of pocket, you need to start factoring in taxes. If you live in Las Angeles California for example, you are paying 9.5% on the entire vehicle. Here in South Carolina, the sales tax on motor vehicles is only 5% with a cap of $500. A $100k vehicle in California therefore will cost be $9000 more than South Carolina. To that point, if I pay $10k ADMIN here in SC and someone in California purchased their vehicle for MSRP, I would have only paid $1k more for my vehicle.

In the end, some people are going to pay more out of pocket for vehicles and some are going to pay less. MSRP is the only true comparison one can make though for these generic discussions.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase

I hope a decent amount of 1LT Z51 Vettes sell, because that will be the used car performance bargain. How many GT500's will sell at 74k?

The absolute top dog Mustang is being compared to the base C8. Ford hasn't really ever had an answer to the Corvette, except for the Shelby models. Also, they're the hot new performance cars. Of course they'll be compared. The ZL1 / ZLE have been around for a few years now, and are a good deal less expensive than the GT500. I think the ZL1 will be beat, but the ZLE will probably put up a pretty good fight on the track.

Looking forward to seeing how GM responds and how Ford answers back.

Unbelievable times. The 60’s had nothing on this.
Agreed! Although I wasn't around for the 60's...

Unfortunately I think it's a pipe dream to hope that GM stuffs the LT5 into the Camaro, but that would make for some real good pony wars.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I hope a decent amount of 1LT Z51 Vettes sell, because that will be the used car performance bargain. How many GT500's will sell at 74k?

The absolute top dog Mustang is being compared to the base C8. Ford hasn't really ever had an answer to the Corvette, except for the Shelby models. Also, they're the hot new performance cars. Of course they'll be compared. The ZL1 / ZLE have been around for a few years now, and are a good deal less expensive than the GT500. I think the ZL1 will be beat, but the ZLE will probably put up a pretty good fight on the track.

The Base Shelby is being compared to the base C8. The TPCF is not faster in a straight line then the base Shelby from what I have gathered. On track, its a different world. We can forum race all we want. This whole thread is in reaction to the C8 and the Oh, the game is over, ford looses mentality of some who posted prior to the 500 launch. The fact Mustang is being compared to a Corvette or a 911 and its favorable or in this case, faster is amazing in itself

Hopefully we will see real world test results of the two

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't the base Shelby be the GT350, if you want to treat Shelby as a different model?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Wouldn't the base Shelby be the GT350, if you want to treat Shelby as a different model?
You could look at it that way. Ill put my R against a base C8 on a road course any day. But drag racing is not the purpose of a GT350

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
You could look at it that way. Ill put my R against a base C8 on a road course any day. But drag racing is not the purpose of a GT350
Drag racing isn't the purpose of the C8, either. Hell, it's not even a track specific car like the GT350R is. Have to wait for the GS version for that.

And with a starting price of 73k, even a C8 Z51 + mag ride is about 5k less than the R.

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Agreed! Although I wasn't around for the 60's...

Unfortunately I think it's a pipe dream to hope that GM stuffs the LT5 into the Camaro, but that would make for some real good pony wars.
I wasn’t around for the ‘60s either. But growing up in the late 80s and 90s, the 60s muscle cars were legendary.

my first car was a beater used Mustang 2 with an anemic v8.

so all I could do was wish for real power like the legends I heard about.

now, we are in a crazy new age of mythological, yet somehow real performance that the 60s guys would have thought impossible. Amazing.

new can only hope GM goes wild with the Camaro and reconsiders possibly canceling the badge. If not for an amazing performer in the 6th gen SS and ZL1, we wouldn’t have seen a supercar Mustang like the 2020 GT500, which outperforms the base and z51 vette.

once the z06 or zr1 are out and the KR is out, we will see a whole new round of insanity. Crazy.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I wasn’t around for the ‘60s either. But growing up in the late 80s and 90s, the 60s muscle cars were legendary.

my first car was a beater used Mustang 2 with an anemic v8.

so all I could do was wish for real power like the legends I heard about.

now, we are in a crazy new age of mythological, yet somehow real performance that the 60s guys would have thought impossible. Amazing.
When you average Camry will run with 60s muscle cars you know things have changed.

Hell even 500hp is considered average now. In 1996 500hp would cost your 20k for the engine. If you don’t have 700+ your going to gapplebees.

My question is what’s the upper limit? 2031 mustang 1500hp? 2000?

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Drag racing isn't the purpose of the C8, either. Hell, it's not even a track specific car like the GT350R is. Have to wait for the GS version for that.

And with a starting price of 73k, even a C8 Z51 + mag ride is about 5k less than the R.
350r is $75000 with dest. and GG tax. The C8 with z51 and magride is $67000. So $8000 more

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
GT500 traps similar to a c6 zr1 from.. 2009. /golfclap
Sponsored