Sponsored

The 2020 GT500 could get blown..... to at least 1,000 HP

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Again the market is proving there is room at the $90k/100/120/?? range for an American pony car ... Ford is responding...

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I thought either on here or one of the videos about the GT500 it was hinted that the power was closer to 850. And based on at least the Florida time that’s pretty accurate right? 4400lb car (with driver roughly) and a 10.6 at 133. In the calculators 4400lbs and 850 hp state 10.06@134 and I have no doubt with proper tires the car could hit a low 10

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So, why didn't they go to 1,000HP or even 850HP?
Why stop at 760HP? Does Jim say anything about that? That car would definitely be running low 10's all day, easily.
Weird,...............:inspect:
My assumption (for what its worth) would be they "settled" at 760hp as that is a safe figure for the car in terms of ensuring it meets all of Ford's emissions/longevity/warranty targets with a safe contingency whilst adhering to all the rules full blown manufacturers must meet.

The Super Snakes are effectively aftermarket conversions, so don't have to meet those same strict standards. Dave Pericak touches on this very briefly in the Jay Leno video, when the two of them are in the car.

However, if I recall correctly, the last KR ('08/'09) was actually sold through Ford dealers, so not classed as an aftermarket conversion. That car only had an additional 40hp over the stock GT500's 500hp though, so this new car will be in a very different league. That assumes the new car is a KR, too, but that's just my guess.

Also, bear in mind Shelby have already produced a Shelby 1000 based on the '18 GT.......so 1000hp out of the 5.0 Coyote! That car is not street legal though, so I'm guessing that's to do with not being emissions compliant.

:)

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Speaking of Ford Performance , when are they going to publish the next Ford Performance Catalogue ? A 2020 catalogue full of GT500 parts would be super.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
However, if I recall correctly, the last KR ('08/'09) was actually sold through Ford dealers, so not classed as an aftermarket conversion.
To further clarify and avoid confusion...the '08/'09 KR's were pre-title and met the requisite rules in place at the time. Safety concerns and ever changing regulation have made it such that we probably won't be seeing that again from SA, hence why the cars you see from them now are all post-title vehicles. Either could have been "sold through dealers."

Flat Plane Drifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTB- a 50th anniversary Shelby GT500 vert-;)
IIRC you said sometime during the years (lol) of speculation here on what the final power figures would be, that some of the mules they tested had over 800fwhp. Obviously the other components in the driveline are the limitations.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
A standard 5.0 with a Whipple handles 800hp easily, so I'm not sure why anyone would think that an engine that's actually built for boost, couldn't handle 1,000hp? Hell, even the old GT500's handled that much.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
My assumption (for what its worth) would be they "settled" at 760hp as that is a safe figure for the car in terms of ensuring it meets all of Ford's emissions/longevity/warranty targets with a safe contingency whilst adhering to all the rules full blown manufacturers must meet.

The Super Snakes are effectively aftermarket conversions, so don't have to meet those same strict standards. Dave Pericak touches on this very briefly in the Jay Leno video, when the two of them are in the car.

However, if I recall correctly, the last KR ('08/'09) was actually sold through Ford dealers, so not classed as an aftermarket conversion. That car only had an additional 40hp over the stock GT500's 500hp though, so this new car will be in a very different league. That assumes the new car is a KR, too, but that's just my guess.

Also, bear in mind Shelby have already produced a Shelby 1000 based on the '18 GT.......so 1000hp out of the 5.0 Coyote! That car is not street legal though, so I'm guessing that's to do with not being emissions compliant.

:)
That makes sense since you put it that way.
Still a killer car at 760HP.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
they "settled" at 760hp as that is a safe figure for the car in terms of ensuring it meets all of Ford's emissions/longevity/warranty targets with a safe contingency whilst adhering to all the rules full blown manufacturers must meet.
My conspiracy theory is that it always produced the same amount.... they "settled" on the official number.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Im going to try and put a video together this week to discuss what I know about this dct, past DCT capabilities, have seen past and present, and have been told about this one

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
m going to try and put a video together this week
V: I think that's FANTASTIC but, I KNOW it will be a great deal of work so thanks in advance. The whole subject is interesting as heck.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Im going to try and put a video together this week to discuss what I know about this dct, past DCT capabilities, have seen past and present, and have been told about this one
This the start of Voodoo YT?? Or you going to be a subcontractor for Stangmode? Either way I will watch, in part for DCT content and also to see who you are in case i see you at Wegmans.
Sponsored