Sponsored

How many people have gotten letters from angry neighbors over their exhaust?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
This makes me grateful to live in a house. Good luck.

That said, I've witnessed S550s with ridiculously and stupidly loud exhausts that are ridiculously and stupidly loud idling through a parking lot. I hope your not one of them. I had an LSX454 Vette with a huge cam, ARHs, 4in SS pipes, no cats, and mufflers in name only that was robust on start up - but not piss off the neighborhood loud, relatively mild on cruising but fury from hell when on it. I wish I could upload an old vid. But here is some eyecandy
DSC_0064 1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its not nice when someone has a loud ass car and you gotta hear it and feel it vibrate every F'n time it fires up.
Be considerate and get a quieter exhaust. Simple. Or move the F out.
This. It's a bit different when you live in a complex.

OP, just quiet down the exhaust a bit. Install a resonator.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2007 BMW 335i, 2016 VW Golf R
Y
Its not nice when someone has a loud ass car and you gotta hear it and feel it vibrate every F'n time it fires up.
Be considerate and get a quieter exhaust. Simple. Or move the F out.

You move, you're the one with the problem...not him.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
This. It's a bit different when you live in a complex.

OP, just quiet down the exhaust a bit. Install a resonator.
Who was their first. Thats all i gotta say. It comes down to that.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Who was their first. Thats all i gotta say. It comes down to that.
Say OP's exhaust volume is over the legal limit. That exhaust shakes the entire complex early in the morning and in the evening. HE'S the one with the issue, NOT his neighbors.

A simple exhaust fix (i.e. a resonator) would be a happy medium.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
1. get a beater. I only have to start mine a few days a week and usually on the weekends\evenings\afternoons and never when it's so cold the start would wake the dead. One person still complains but nothing they can do. 2. Start it with the garage door closed at odd hours. 3. Convert it to active exhaust. I've done the first 2. Won't be doing the 3rd.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
weld in couple 12" resonators to the X. Problem solved.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
i feel like I’ve been very considerate. I changed my work schedule so I don’t leave before 9am anymore. I had to be on the road at 5am one morning so I put my car in neutral and pushed it out to the road before I started it. All things they never see lol

That’s the first I’ve heard of adding active exhaust that way. I’ll have to do some more research on that.

Chances are good they will still complain even if I put the factory axle back back on but at least it would pass a visual inspection that way.
Does your current set up violate local decibel levels that are specified for exhaust? If it doesn't then don't worry about it. Does it say anything in your lease about this? If not, don't worry about it.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Does your current set up violate local decibel levels that are specified for exhaust? If it doesn't then don't worry about it. Does it say anything in your lease about this? If not, don't worry about it.
Depends on if he has an HOA and the by-laws have restrictions on noise. My guess is there isn't. HOA will fine first and threaten legal action second.

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you're daily-driving your Mustang in Ontario, your cold starts for a good portion of the year are likely going to be horrendously loud with that setup. In a condo complex and the parking is relatively close like many of them, every person is going to hear you roar up at whatever time you leave in the morning. Not everybody has a 9-to-5 where they're up at the same time as you every day. And depending on the complex, if it's a large or multiple large buildings, that sound is going to reverberate back and forth.

I mean, look, we all love our cars and love the noise. I have an H pipe with the active exhaust so it's not that bad with the quiet-start option, and I'm in a house where the subdivisions are around 2+acres, so there's plenty of space between us. But in your situation, you probably should have thought about where you were first before going super-loud. It's one thing to maybe not be in actual violation of any city ordinances, or even those within your condo/HOA complex. It's a whole other to be consistently pissing off your neighbors 5 days a week, because they're obviously past that point.

Please don't let this seem like me coming off as an ass here, but if these people have already taken it this far, what's to stop them from doing something to your car (insert Canadians are nice joke here)? And if it's enough people, nobody is going to turn them in even if they see it. It seems to me that discretion is the better part of valor here.
Also need to add that between Sunday night and Monday morning when I left for work someone tried stealing my pony badge from front grill. Pony head was gone with the other pieces laying on the ground. Buying a security cam this weekend to quell that.

Still not sure what I’m gonna do but appreciate all the “fruitful” feedback.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
weld in couple 12" resonators to the X. Problem solved.
I’ve been thinking of trying to add a couple resonators somewhere but not sure it would help enough. Not sure about American laws but for us up here we have to have mufflers installed or technically the car is illegal. That being said Ive never been pulled over or had any complaints other than at home.

I do plan to add long tubes in the spring and I knew once I did that my current setup would need to be modified as it would be insanely loud. So I’m kinda leaning towards replacing my axle back with a version that has mufflers...that way I pass visual inspections and neighbors can’t say anything because I have mufflers.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
2. Get aggressive with the neighbors. It seems you’re considerate. This was my concern as well before I had headers installed. Cold start is only 20 ish seconds now.
There's nothing cosiderate about modifying your exhaust with parts that make it significantly louder. Most likely, what he has is highly illegal and getting aggressive with the neighbors and HOA is going to lead to fines and liens.

If he was 100% stock, I'd agree. Seeing as how he modified his exhaust illegally, telling him to get aggressive is straight up bad advice. He needs to distance himself from this as much as possible, not bring to light his illegal activity.

OP, if I was in your shoes I would install either OEM active mufflers from the 18+ or the dual tip 13-14 GT500 axleback. Both of those would sound very good, and better yet they would be 100% legal so you then could get aggressive with the neighbors as 5had0w mentioned since you are using OEM stuff and they have no leg to stand on.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
If everyone in a complex had to do everything to appease every person that got irritated by some other neighbor's habits, no one would be allowed to do anything at all, unless that also managed to annoy someone else, in which case, I'm not sure what the solution is. The point is: live your life, try not to be a dick, but its not really your fault if your car pisses someone off.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
After 9am, they can suck it. Back you car up to their windows and let her ROAR! Yes childish but after 9am, yall should be awake anyways.

But really, as others have said, check laws witch you're likely not in compliance with and then bring it down to that level and push on. Or park someplace else that safe and further away. If they're starting to cause damage to your ride, that's an entirely different issue. Good luck.

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
After 9am, they can suck it. Back you car up to their windows and let her ROAR! Yes childish but after 9am, yall should be awake anyways.

But really, as others have said, check laws witch you're likely not in compliance with and then bring it down to that level and push on. Or park someplace else that safe and further away. If they're starting to cause damage to your ride, that's an entirely different issue. Good luck.
Haha I have thought about it but at the end of the day I’m not a dick. I’m leaning towards picking up another axle back that’s still loud and aggressive but has mufflers so I pass inspection and neighbors can eat it!

The fact they are starting to vandalize my ride is a whole other ball of wax...hence my cameras going up this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated!
Sponsored