Sponsored

What is Considered "High Mileage" or Life Expectancy of the Coyote?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
What would you guys consider to be good, regular maintenance? I do maintain it pretty well, but I'd like to hear some opinions too. Maybe things like "well you really actually change the oil every _____ miles, not every _____ miles!"
For oil, follow the OLM.
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Like others said, maintenance is pretty much what it boils down to. SPC and ISO9000 has more or less made sure that all parts are going to be more or less within spec, so "factory freaks" really shouldn't happen anymore. Maintaining it well correlates to use as well. If you change the oil and brake fluid after every hard track session, then you are probably going to get more miles than the guy/gal who beats on it regularly on the street, but casually changes the oil.

I'll offer up a well-known example: The infamous "IMS Bearing" problem with M97 Porsche vehicles. The failures are rumored to actually happen more often with regular every-day owners that follow the OCI (Which is fairly long, if I remember correctly). Owners that regularly track theirs change the oil more often, which seems to help the foolish design last longer.

According to National Geographic, Coyotes "In the wild" have a life expectancy of up to 14 years. :)

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I would say proper maintenance (regarding the engine) is using a quality engine oil / filter and doing oil changes on time. Additionally, changing your coolant every once in a while.

Also, using a catch can to prevent blow-by. Every little bit helps.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Also, using a catch can to prevent blow-by. Every little bit helps.
The catch can or oil separator has nothing to do with preventing blow-by. Blow-by is compression getting past the piston rings. That lost compression gas gets into the crank case and is vented out of the valve covers and back into the intake manifold. All the oil separator does is pull the oil vapor out of the blow-by gas to keep the intake manifold, intake ports and intake valves from getting coated in sludge.

Sponsored

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
Wow a 2018 and already with 16,000 miles. Do you do a lot of long distance traveling? I’m just curious where some people drive their vehicles to get so much mileage. I don’t think I can get close to that mileage in a year or two if I tried. My 2015 has under 8000, but then that’s my vacation car. I do have a 2003 Evo I drive regularly, just hit 40,000 recently. Knowing that these Coyotes can make it to 100,000 miles, mine seems will last forever. Though I may go the supercharged route in the future.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT and since purchase I have put about 16,000 miles on it. I do the occasional spirited drive, maybe a pull or two to redline in 6th gear on the highway, but other than that I just daily drive it normally (for reference I'll usually get about 23.5-24mpg on a tank with highway+city). Whenever I drive it, I make sure it warms up and the transmission idles down.

Are 16,000 miles considered very high mileage for a car like this of that age or is that about expected for true daily driven car?
Are my few pulls doing enough damage to significantly lower the life of my engine, or is it built for a little fun (but obviously not constant revving)?
Also, with just regular driving and use, and a proper warm-up before driving, what kind of life is expected out of the Coyote?

Thanks, everyone, and I hope I can hear some experiences from other members on this.

Edit: Clarification, 16,000 is not high miles, I was more asking if 16k miles in this amount of time is high yearly mileage. Like 16k on an F-150 is fine but 16k on a Lamborghini would be completely outrageous.
My friend has 140k on his Gen 1 coyote, still on original clutch. He only replaced the AC compressor that went out at 50k.

My 2016 Gen 2 is 57k runs good. I'm going to replace my clutch soon as pre-emptive maintenance...

The 18+ some have reported some issues but Ford's been good about the warranty. If you're worried you can extend your warranty. I maxed out mine so mines good to 75k

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Wow a 2018 and already with 16,000 miles. Do you do a lot of long distance traveling? I’m just curious where some people drive their vehicles to get so much mileage. I don’t think I can get close to that mileage in a year or two if I tried. My 2015 has under 8000, but then that’s my vacation car. I do have a 2003 Evo I drive regularly, just hit 40,000 recently. Knowing that these Coyotes can make it to 100,000 miles, mine seems will last forever. Though I may go the supercharged route in the future.
Some people just drive alot for work or pleasure. My 19 was purchased this past New Yrs Eve & was my dd for 10 months(my daily commute is 100 miles round trip for work) & we have taken it on vacation a few times. It already has 19,500 miles. I live in Baton Rouge & the car has been to Houston, Destin & the Smoky Mountains. Now I have an old Chevy 1500 for a dd so those miles wont add up so bad.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I drive 37 miles to work (42 minutes, nearly all highway)!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I used to do between 14-20mi each way commuting to work, 99% highway. Put a lot of miles on my ST that way.

Now with the GT it’s about 5mi each way.

Sponsored

Bubba Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
This thread makes me feel better about putting 6k a year on mine, lol. I figure with a blower it won't last quite as long, but seeing 250k coyotes is a nice surprise

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This thread makes me feel better about putting 6k a year on mine, lol. I figure with a blower it won't last quite as long, but seeing 250k coyotes is a nice surprise
Well I mean there's nothing inherently bad about the Coyote. Seems like if you treat it right and do regular maintenance, it's a naturally aspirated V8, which has the potential to live for a long time.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The question I have about the 18+ is the plasma liner.

We really don’t have a lot of high mileage data on that.

It is also one of few 12-1 compression engines in mass production.

The DI pump is also an unknown.

That said considering engineering failures have a tendency to fall on a bell curve as opposed to a certian mileage I don’t expect problems.
Sponsored