Sponsored

Do you plan to Ceramic Coat your new GT500?

Do you plan to Ceramic Coat your new GT500?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
No. A hard brittle coating over a soft surface is a bad idea.
Well ok. All I can say is I have done it to 3 different cars over the last 5 years with no problem. Not sure who you use as an installer but I have done both Ceramic Pro and Opticote over PPF and both installers recommended doing it that way. I'm sure someone on here is an installer and can weigh in?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well ok. All I can say is I have done it to 3 different cars over the last 5 years with no problem. Not sure who you use as an installer but I have done both Ceramic Pro and Opticote over PPF and both installers recommended doing it that way. I'm sure someone on here is an installer and can weigh in?
Ceramic is a 9H hardness coating. Almost a sheet of glass. Place that on top of a soft substrate...... predictions? If you'd like, I would be happy to put you in contact with my installer.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic is a 9H hardness coating. Almost a sheet of glass. Place that on top of a soft substrate...... predictions? If you'd like, I would be happy to put you in contact with my installer.
Understood over film but is that the same for vinyl stripes?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Understood over film but is that the same for vinyl stripes?
I've never considered it. I only know what I was strongly advised. If anyone feels differently, I respect your opinion. Please ensure that it id an informed one. I've had years and years of chemistry and what I was told makes sense.

Over paint? Hell yea.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've never considered it. I only know what I was strongly advised. If anyone feels differently, I respect your opinion. Please ensure that it id an informed one. I've had years and years of chemistry and what I was told makes sense.

Over paint? Hell yea.
Thanks for your input! Maybe I might just pass on the strips and go stealth mode again! Wait, NO, not another black car again for the 5th time! But, I must say that Jay Leno's garage did have me scratching my head!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your input! Maybe I might just pass on the strips and go stealth mode again! Wait, NO, not another black car again for the 5th time! But, I must say that Jay Leno's garage did have me scratching my head!
Just PPF it and use a quality agent that is recommended for PPF. A hard glass(like) coating really isnt necessary.

All 3 of my Rs are PPF only and I have no issue with the finish or appearance.

OP
OP
Bangarang

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
Thanks for all the input so far guys. Def leaning towards it and will ask the Ceramic Pro installers about the vinyl stripes too and best course of action for those.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just PPF it and use a quality agent that is recommended for PPF. A hard glass(like) coating really isnt necessary.

Sounds good! Iconic silver or rapid red with black vinyl over the top stripes it is! Also covered in PPF after delivery!

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I'm certainally not trying to give anyone the wrong information. Or make anyone spend more than necessary but ...

This is right from Xpel's site (which is considered one of the top self healing PPF films). Ceramic Pro recomends the same.

Can I Apply A Ceramic Coating On Top Of The Film And How Does It Affect The Self-Healing Feature Of XPEL?
Yes, Coatings can be applied to the films. Adding a coating does not stop the film from self-healing. Coatings can add a protective layer over the film, which depending on the coating can provide different properties (Please contact your installer or coating company for more information). That additional coating layer, depending on the coating applied, may or may not self-heal. Once the coating wears down and deteriorates, the self-healing qualities of XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS and STEALTH will still remain.

As for the stripes.

Can I Have XPEL Installed Over My Vinyl Wrap Or Racing Stripes?
Yes. XPEL film can be applied over a vinyl wrap or graphics. However, if there are any hard edges that film must cross (as in the case of stripes), it could result in some air being trapped along that edge.

Note (depending on the ceramic used). There are ceramic coatings for PPF.

Here is another

Ceramic Pro For Vehicles With Paint Protection Films and Vinyl
Ceramic Pro offers a new formulation of their ceramic coating product designed specifically for vehicles that already have a paint protection film. This multi-layer-able, two-part ceramic coating system can be installed on top of your existing PPF, prolonging its lifetime and enhancing its appearance. It protects the film from contaminants, oxidation and can reduce the appearance of orange peel. The top coat provides a high gloss shine. Ceramic Pro PPF & VINYL also works on vehicles with wraps or vinyl protection.

The Benefits of Ceramic Pro PPF & VINYL
Applying the two-part Ceramic Pro PPF & VINYL and PPF & VINYL Topcoat over your PPF has many benefits:

• Reduces the orange peel look of PPF, creating a layer of protection that is virtually undetectable.
  • The added slickness of the coated surface means cleaning off bug splatter and tar is much easier. Contaminants don’t stick to the surface so washing is less labor intensive and can be done less frequently.
  • The UV protection minimizes the yellowing process of some films. You’ll have a clearer film for a longer period of time.
  • The coating can help slow down or prevent the etching process of some environmental contaminants, giving you more time to remove such things as bird droppings and tree sap before they do permanent damage to your film.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm certainally not trying to give anyone the wrong information. Or make anyone spend more than necessary but ...

This is right from Xpel's site (which is considered one of the top self healing PPF films). Ceramic Pro recomends the same.

Can I Apply A Ceramic Coating On Top Of The Film And How Does It Affect The Self-Healing Feature Of XPEL?
Yes, Coatings can be applied to the films. Adding a coating does not stop the film from self-healing. Coatings can add a protective layer over the film, which depending on the coating can provide different properties (Please contact your installer or coating company for more information). That additional coating layer, depending on the coating applied, may or may not self-heal. Once the coating wears down and deteriorates, the self-healing qualities of XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS and STEALTH will still remain.

As for the stripes.

Can I Have XPEL Installed Over My Vinyl Wrap Or Racing Stripes?
Yes. XPEL film can be applied over a vinyl wrap or graphics. However, if there are any hard edges that film must cross (as in the case of stripes), it could result in some air being trapped along that edge.

Note (depending on the ceramic used). There are ceramic coatings for PPF.

Here is another

Ceramic Pro For Vehicles With Paint Protection Films and Vinyl
Ceramic Pro offers a new formulation of their ceramic coating product designed specifically for vehicles that already have a paint protection film. This multi-layer-able, two-part ceramic coating system can be installed on top of your existing PPF, prolonging its lifetime and enhancing its appearance. It protects the film from contaminants, oxidation and can reduce the appearance of orange peel. The top coat provides a high gloss shine. Ceramic Pro PPF & VINYL also works on vehicles with wraps or vinyl protection.

The Benefits of Ceramic Pro PPF & VINYL
Applying the two-part Ceramic Pro PPF & VINYL and PPF & VINYL Topcoat over your PPF has many benefits:

• Reduces the orange peel look of PPF, creating a layer of protection that is virtually undetectable.
  • The added slickness of the coated surface means cleaning off bug splatter and tar is much easier. Contaminants don’t stick to the surface so washing is less labor intensive and can be done less frequently.
  • The UV protection minimizes the yellowing process of some films. You’ll have a clearer film for a longer period of time.
  • The coating can help slow down or prevent the etching process of some environmental contaminants, giving you more time to remove such things as bird droppings and tree sap before they do permanent damage to your film.
Knock yourself out. I was strongly advised against it by all the experts in my area...and their reasons made sense. Have you ever heard of what it takes to remove a ceramic coating after being applied? It is a hard coating applied to preserve paint and if you ever want to remove it, it takes machine equipment with abrasives. Maybe you are talking about that spray on ceramic crap? Dig your nails into a layer of PPF. It is very soft. I wont be putting a hard layer of ceramic over my PPF anytime soon.

Whatever floats your boat. I dont feel like getting into a big frigging internet debate over this. I was passing along what I was told by the experts in my area. Furthermore, I have never found the need.

Do what you want to your car. I could give a rat's ass.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
No. A hard brittle coating over a soft surface is a bad idea.
It sounds like the installers in your area never read their literature.
Modesta also says it's okay to use it over PPF. XPEL even says in it's FAQ it's okay and has no negatives.

My detailer is a Modesta and XPEL dealer, they also suggest the coating over the PPF.

But I mean if you wanna tell them the 1 of 80 Ferrari they are doing this week or all the GT3's, GT350's and exotics they regularly do, they are doing incorrectly, feel free.

Lot of guys in Rennlist would be pissed if it wasn't proper procedure.

Last edited:

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like the installers in your area never read their literature.
Modesta also says it's okay to use it over PPF. XPEL even says in it's FAQ it's okay and has no negatives.

My detailer is a Modesta and XPEL dealer, they also suggest the coating over the PPF.

But I mean if you wanna tell them the 1 of 80 Ferrari they are doing this week or all the GT3's, GT350's and exotics they regularly do, they are doing incorrectly, feel free.

Lot of guys in Rennlist would be pissed if it wasn't proper procedure.
Knock yourself out. I was strongly advised against it by all the experts in my area...and their reasons made sense. Have you ever heard of what it takes to remove a ceramic coating after being applied? It is a hard coating applied to preserve paint and if you ever want to remove it, it takes machine equipment with abrasives. Maybe you are talking about that spray on ceramic crap? Dig your nails into a layer of PPF. It is very soft. I wont be putting a hard layer of ceramic over my PPF anytime soon.

Whatever floats your boat. I dont feel like getting into a big frigging internet debate over this. I was passing along what I was told by the experts in my area. Furthermore, I have never found the need.

Do what you want to your car. I could give a rat's ass.
Hey facts are facts. I'm just trying to answer the question correct. You do whatever you want to do with your car. But if it were me and I paid 10K for stripes on a 6 figure car I would use both. As you can see I'm not the only one that recommends it.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
What maintenance? I literally just wash it regularly, which I'd do anyways, in trade I get 0 rock chips.
I had xpel on my current car, it definitely required special maintenance every few months. There are multiple chemicals and application techniques... basically a full hand detail level of effort.

Then somehow an edge section of the film came loose, getting moisture under it and drawing attention to the entire film on the hood instead of being invisible.

dsz blade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT PP1
I had xpel on my current car, it definitely required special maintenance every few months. There are multiple chemicals and application techniques... basically a full hand detail level of effort.

Then somehow an edge section of the film came loose, getting moisture under it and drawing attention to the entire film on the hood instead of being invisible.
What maintenance? I’ve had Xpel and Suntek on cars and never did anything special with them. Xpel even says that there is no maintenance required but they suggest using a sealant a couple times of times a year. That’s basically just using a quick detailer, nothing special.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Yeah I think we're in agreement here
Sponsored