Sponsored

Do you change your own oil?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Always. I cringe at the thought of someone else touching my car unless it’s for warranty fixes and even then I still cringe.

I like choosing my oil, filter and ensuring the proper amount is filled.

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I just got my Mustang but I foresee myself doing the oil changes, for all the reasons already stated (done right, ability to select oil, etc.) but I also see it as a way of bonding with the machine. I like knowing what stuff looks like under the shiny bits.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
make sure you have a very large container at the ready for 10 qts of hot oil shooting way out. Oil changes on these are easy. Glad to see more do it yourselfers. Too many stealership errors.

Sponsored

contender

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I decided to take a gamble with the service department at the dealer I bought the car from. The first oil change is complementary. When they were writing up the work order today, I brought up the fact that the 2018's forward take 10 quarts of oil. While checking out, they confirm that there is no cost. I noticed on the receipt that they installed a new filter and 9 quarts of oil. Why do they struggle with getting such a simple thing right? I'll be changing the oil myself from now on like I do with my other vehicles and equipment.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I decided to take a gamble with the service department at the dealer I bought the car from. The first oil change is complementary. When they were writing up the work order today, I brought up the fact that the 2018's forward take 10 quarts of oil. While checking out, they confirm that there is no cost. I noticed on the receipt that they installed a new filter and 9 quarts of oil. Why do they struggle with getting such a simple thing right? I'll be changing the oil myself from now on like I do with my other vehicles and equipment.
Better check the dipstick to make sure that the error was in how much oil they actually added. I would not assume that the '9' that they entered on the invoice was correct. Could be 8, might even be the full 10.

Norm

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I do, for various reasons:

• I know nothing is being over or under tightened or stripped
  • I know the correct amount of oil is being put in
  • I know somebody isn't down there letting oil get all over everything without cleaning it
  • I know the belly pan is being removed and reinstalled with care
  • I get a chance to look around at everything else under there when I'm down there and clean some things up (on my old car I also used this time to grease all my poly bushings)
  • I can do other little things to the car while the oil is draining
  • It's therapeutic, and I don't have those OCD moments where I think something is missing later or maybe they (if I took it to a shop) didn't bother to replace the filter or messed up my drain plug
  • It's more convenient to walk out to my garage and do it whenever I feel like, instead of having to set an appointment and/or wait around forever while the shop does it
  • Cost, although I'm a sales manager at a dealership so I'm not really saving more than a few bucks doing it myself

contender

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The invoice breaks it down to a quantity of 9 units, cost per unit and extended cost. Oil level on the dipstick was at the bottom hole. I called the service department and expressed my concern that only 9 quarts were put back in and it should be 10. His first response was that some vehicles take partial quarts and it might just be a rounding issue. I pressed him on the fact that it should be a full 10. He took my number and said he would talk to the service manager and call me back. When he called back, he said the car does take 10 but as long as it was registering at the first hole, I would be fine. He said I could add another quart if I felt like it. I asked why I didn't get the full 10 quart requirement and was told they are recalibrating their dispensing system because it must be off.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
The invoice breaks it down to a quantity of 9 units, cost per unit and extended cost. Oil level on the dipstick was at the bottom hole. I called the service department and expressed my concern that only 9 quarts were put back in and it should be 10. His first response was that some vehicles take partial quarts and it might just be a rounding issue. I pressed him on the fact that it should be a full 10. He took my number and said he would talk to the service manager and call me back. When he called back, he said the car does take 10 but as long as it was registering at the first hole, I would be fine. He said I could add another quart if I felt like it. I asked why I didn't get the full 10 quart requirement and was told they are recalibrating their dispensing system because it must be off.
This would rock my faith in the dealer.

I fall into the “change my own oil” category, and have always done it on my vehicles. This past weekend I did it for the first time on my newly acquired used Mustang. Just like the 5.0, my 5.2 uses 10. I put in exactly 10 quarts, and the dipstick read to exactly the top of the hashmarks, just below the second or top hole.

While it may be within spec, I would top it off a little, and not use that dealer again, Just based on your comments above. The manager should have just taken care of your concerns. I’m sure at $10 a quart for synthetic, or whatever they pay, having the machine “under” calibrated works in their favor.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Registering at the first hole is Ford's minimum level for between changes. Not the dealer's minimum-fill point, which would leave the customer starting out with zero "slack" for any oil usage at all. That 10th quart is on him, he's just trying to weasel his way out of it.

Norm

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
This is exactly why I change my own, and will continue to do so as long as I am able.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I'd also like to add, how about the dealerships leaning on our aluminum fenders risking them scratching or denting them...
Sponsored