Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I think the Vette won just the fact its normally aspirated. Still I would never buy a Vette, just not into them. Although for the dough they are an awesome buy. Once again I bring up the 911S and it ran a 11.3@125mph with only 443hp...this wasn't even the 4S which probably would have been a tad quicker. To be honest I think the issue here is how fast can a front engine rear drive car go. We really are reaching the limits here. The BMW M5 with its AWD ran a 10.9@129mph with only 600hp.
Sponsored

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think the Vette won just the fact its normally aspirated. Still I would never buy a Vette, just not into them. Although for the dough they are an awesome buy. Once again I bring up the 911S and it ran a 11.3@125mph with only 443hp...this wasn't even the 4S which probably would have been a tad quicker. To be honest I think the issue here is how fast can a front engine rear drive car go. We really are reaching the limits here. The BMW M5 with its AWD ran a 10.9@129mph with only 600hp.
so... it’s cheaper. But it lost.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I stated facts. Facts hurt your feelings. Sucks to be you.
The only facts these guys see is the GT500 running a faster quarter mile time and an assumed $95,000 GT500 CFTP lapping faster than a C8 Z51 on tracks with longer straights. They will dismiss the faster 0-60 mph times and wouldn't even think about the 11.1 sec quarter mile time on a non prepped surface with 265 less HP. For them GT 500 did 10.6 quarter mile time and that is all matters. Don't even bother to show facts because most of these people are also uneducated and blinded by the brand loyalty. It is a battle you won't be winning in this forum.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would like to discuss this in a mature manner.

I don't think the C8 got "crushed" or "humiliated". The C8 ran an extremely great time and has performed extremely well. And it can be had at a great price anywhere. The GT500 has managed to run a faster quarter mile in specific conditions. Those conditions were different from the conditions in which the C8 ran. The difference is enough to make it unfair to compare the GT500's 10.6 run to the Vette's 11.1 run. If the Vette was run in those same conditions, then what would the time difference have been? Nobody right now can answer that. With that being the case we can only compare 1/4 mile times where the conditions were the same. In those conditions the GT500 ran between 11.3 and 11 flat to the Vette running 11.1. So at this point in the same conditions they have the same MPH. The GT500's higher MPH would mean that it has a higher potential. I doubt the C8 will do 10.6 in the same conditions that the GT500 did it in. It just does not have the HP to go that fast stock. I think it can break into the 10.9s. A high 10.9 but 10s regardless. That is nothing to be humiliated about when compared to a car with over 50% more HP and that costs more. In fact it could be argued that the C8 is slugging it out with the giant. But the fact remains that the GT500 has more potential. WIth DRs or slicks the GT500 will be significantly faster. Around certain tracks the GT500 will win. Around other tracks the GT500 will keep up remarkably well if not win. But all along the Vette will be like the scrappy fighter who you just can't knock out and who keeps getting up and every now and then catching you with some stingers. You might win the fight, but it is going to be a long fight you will know that you were in a fight.

Neither car is anything to take for granted. Underestimate either of these beasts and you will learn a valuable and embarrassing lesson. The ZL1 and Z06 will have to stay on their toes around a track when the GT500 is present. Slip up and the GT500 will slide by. That is if it doesn't win altogether. The GT500 will have to be at it's best in the quarter mile if the C8 is present. Muck up the launch and the C8 is going to edge it out by a slight few ticks. Same thing against Dodge.

The game is going to be close. VERY close. CLoser than what we all think. Every fan boy is going to be shocked. Each car is representing a specific segment of the performance market. The GT500 Base and CF are representing what Ford can do when they take their time and do their homework and don't cut corners. It will be an all around car that when it's focus is directed towards something specific it should be tough to beat. Aim it at the quarter mile and it is going to murder. Aim it at a track and it is going to murder. Or keep it as an all around vehicle and it will keep the competition on their toes. GM is showing what they can do in a segment that is new to them. They are coming out swinging. And the best is yet to come. For now you get a car that is going to put it's all into everything. If it loses at anything, it will still be annoyingly right there. It represents price, performance, value, and availability. It is a scalpel that might not be completely sharp but sharp enough to make a clean cut. It will please the Euro guys who want Lambo stuff but also the purists who want American Muscle. The ZL1 represent every category at a cheaper price than the others. It is hard to argue the value when they can be had at such discounts that we've been seeing lately. While it might not dominate in any segment, it will be close to 1st place in more places than any of the others. The Dodge guys are just flat out sluggers. They couldn't care less about going around any track. They represent people who want to go fast in a straight line and get to the end before anyone else. They represent what a car can do when the focus is on one thing and one thing only. The car is big, comfortable, roomy, and fast. They are like the old boxer who hits like a tank and doesn't bother to duck or avoid any punches.

Basically there is something for everyone in enough variety and supply to satisfy everyone's needs. Not one of these cars are going to get crushed or embarrassed. Plus these are not $30,000 or $40,000 vehicles. These are cars that have a $65,000 minimum entry fee. Those who are shopping know what they want and which car will give them what they want at the price they think is reasonable. If a Hellcat owner loses to a GT500 owner on a long stretch of road, he is not going to be embarrassed. If a GT500 owner loses to a ZLE owner while canyon carving then he is not going to be embarrassed. If a C8 owner gets walked on a highway from a 60 MPH roll then he is not going to be embarrassed. That type of attitude is not present among those who are fortunate enough to buy these cars. That is SS and GT and R/T mentality. The guys who have these higher level cars are all buying what suits them specifically. And I doubt any test or review is going to change their mind or purchase choice. Thank you!

(Applause)!!
TLDR

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I think people are going to be a bit surprised when the Vette doesn't run that much quicker at the dragstrip. It's engine configuration is allowing much more traction on the street. This advantage quickly disappears at the strip once VHT is applied, greatly increasing the friction coefficient of the tires and negating much of the corvettes advantage. The corvette will likely be slightly quicker on the street (illegal racing) in most scenarios and the GT500 will be significantly quicker at the dragstrip.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The difference is enough to make it unfair to compare the GT500's 10.6 run to the Vette's 11.1 run. If the Vette was run in those same conditions, then what would the time difference have been? Nobody right now can answer that.
who do we need to bribe at GM to send a C8+Z51+MR to Bradenton for the forum hotshoe to give it a few flogs?

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
The only facts these guys see is the GT500 running a faster quarter mile time and an assumed $95,000 GT500 CFTP lapping faster than a C8 Z51 on tracks with longer straights. They will dismiss the faster 0-60 mph times and wouldn't even think about the 11.1 sec quarter mile time on a non prepped surface with 265 less HP. For them GT 500 did 10.6 quarter mile time and that is all matters. Don't even bother to show facts because most of these people are also uneducated and blinded by the brand loyalty. It is a battle you won't be winning in this forum.
Sorry, can't wait for someone else to point out how the Chevy guys claim the cars are comparable when Chevy has the hp advantage (think zl1le vs. gt350), but as soon as Ford has the advantage they're sniveling 'but, but, but, horsepower.!'.

ROTFLMAO!

Last edited:

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Sorry, can't wait for someone else to point out how the Chevy guys claim the cars are equal when Chevy has the hp advantage (think zl1le vs. gt350), but as soon as Ford has the advantage they're sniveling 'but, but, but, horsepower.!'.

ROTFLMAO!
I don't believe any GM guys have said the ZL1 1le is equal to the 350R. The 1le is way faster in every aspects. What they say is equal, is the price point being the same. So for the money, the 1LE is a better performer.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I don't believe any GM guys have said the ZL1 1le is equal to the 350R. The 1le is way faster in every aspects. What they say is equal, is the price point being the same. So for the money, the 1LE is a better performer.
You're right, they dismiss the horsepower advantage when pointing out Chevy is faster. Clarified my post for you. Still ROTFLMAO.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're right, they dismiss the horsepower advantage when pointing out Chevy is faster. Clarified my post for you. Still ROTFLMAO.
They don't dismiss it, but saying for the same price, it crushes the R performance wise. If the GT500 was the same price as the C8, then the C8 would have nothing to brag about. But being $14K less for its performance is a very good value.

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think people are going to be a bit surprised when the Vette doesn't run that much quicker at the dragstrip. It's engine configuration is allowing much more traction on the street. This advantage quickly disappears at the strip once VHT is applied, greatly increasing the friction coefficient of the tires and negating much of the corvettes advantage. The corvette will likely be slightly quicker on the street (illegal racing) in most scenarios and the GT500 will be significantly quicker at the dragstrip.
idk. There are videos of the gt500s being taken out on public roads and doing 0-60 in 3.3, which is what Ford says it does. Not prepped tracks. Public roads. C8 may be quicker from a stoplight to the next if the 500 doesn’t grab traction. But if both cars are on the highway, where most “Mexico” racing is done, it’s not even close the gr500 washes it.

cant wait for the head to head reviews from owners of both in everyday scenarios.
They don't dismiss it, but saying for the same price, it crushes the R performance wise. If the GT500 was the same price as the C8, then the C8 would have nothing to brag about. But being $14K less for its performance is a very good value.
It would be if it matched the 500s performance. It doesn’t. But it’s still a good value. It’s just that for the price you pay for a 500, it’s a great value too.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
When the Cheby wins on a road course by mere tenths it crushes the R, the C8 gets killed and you are all wait a minute :).

Yea, we have to wait for a head to head on the same day. Track conditions in Vegas were so so according to Evan Smith who ran the 10.6. The quality of the other drivers were, well amaturistic. Im being told track times between Billy and other drivers on the road course were in the tens. not tenths

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the Cheby wins on a road course by mere tenths it crushes the R, the C8 gets killed and you are all wait a minute :).

Yea, we have to wait for a head to head on the same day. Track conditions in Vegas were so so according to Evan Smith who ran the 10.6. The quality of the other drivers were, well amaturistic. Im being told track times between Billy and other drivers on the road course were in the tens. not tenths
Talking about the 1le, not the base zl1. Show me where the R is only 10ths away.
Sponsored