Sponsored

Need Better High Beams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost conv.
I have a US 2016 ecoboost with the HID head lights. The headlight are just OK but the high beams are terrible. I live on some dark country roads and always looking out for deer and such. My toyota brights are incredible...these are so lame i have to double check that i have my brights on all the time. I see alot of posts about changing color (5000k etc...) but what about actually brighter lights. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I have a US 2016 ecoboost with the HID head lights. The headlight are just OK but the high beams are terrible. I live on some dark country roads and always looking out for deer and such. My toyota brights are incredible...these are so lame i have to double check that i have my brights on all the time. I see alot of posts about changing color (5000k etc...) but what about actually brighter lights. Any help would be appreciated.
Try Diode Dynamics. I have a 2019 so mine comes with LED's which are super bright but I own a bunch of their products. Interior lights, reverse light and so on. I am sure they have something for your stock lights.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/by-vehicle.html?find=2016-ford-mustang-315213&sid=wUV9UspzDT

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
Have you tried adjusting them? Felt the same way about my 17, Adjusted them up just a little and got a big improvement.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
New bulbs from DD is what you are looking for. Sadly, most people don't know how to adjust their headlights and they end up just blinding on-comers.

Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
The brights are bright, but they are just too focused IMO. It needs more width, and height. My last car's brights were like turning on a flood light, you'd be lighting up the trees 25 feet above your head, it was great.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Have you tried adjusting them? Felt the same way about my 17, Adjusted them up just a little and got a big improvement.
This. If your brights are not that bright, you may want to verify that they are aimed correctly. I have no issues with seeing hundreds of feet down the road with them on. As far as how wide they go, well no bulb or brightness upgrade is going to change this it's a design of the headlight itself.

I suggest checking your level first before spending money un-necessarily. You won't get much brighter than the stock lights.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost conv.
This. If your brights are not that bright, you may want to verify that they are aimed correctly. I have no issues with seeing hundreds of feet down the road with them on. As far as how wide they go, well no bulb or brightness upgrade is going to change this it's a design of the headlight itself.

I suggest checking your level first before spending money un-necessarily. You won't get much brighter than the stock lights.
This sound logical..i think i saw somewhere here a post about how to adjust...i will give that a try...it surely cant hurt.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I do headlight retrofitting as a side gig. The HID'd in these cars are OK.. people that come from halogen will love them, those that come from proper HIDs will think them subpar. DD makes good stuff and i sell and install a lot of it, but to truly fix the light output a clear lens and a pair of Osram Night Breakers 66340 would be huge. Only thing better would be a true retrofit.

Agree though, if they are not aimed properly its not going to help. Also you dont want any foreground light, so if you have fogs on at the same time you are running your brights your eyes just dont dilate enough to give better night vision. Turning them off will help. seems counter intuitive but its true.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you pull back on the light lever it turns on the brights and dims at the same time.

Sounds like you brights are facing to far up.

Sponsored

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Both of our GT's needed re aiming! my wife's 17, and my 18 GT's needed to be aimed, the 18 was WAY off, >super high< iirc, the wifes were to low, but both are easy to adjust, I think the LED's on the 18's and up are pretty good actually, the wife's HID's are more than adequate, maybe slightly better than my 07 Infiniti. (G 35x)

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Both of our GT's needed re aiming! my wife's 17, and my 18 GT's needed to be aimed, the 18 was WAY off, >super high< iirc, the wifes were to low, but both are easy to adjust, I think the LED's on the 18's and up are pretty good actually, the wife's HID's are more than adequate, maybe slightly better than my 07 Infiniti. (G 35x)
The LED's on the 18+ are some of the better LED headlights ive worked with. not a lot of glare and a good width and throw for led. Huge Huge step up over my focus ST with night breakers but no clear lens available for it to slide in. I havent come around to opening my 18's to see whats inside. i hate permaseal lights with a pasion

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Wondering how these stack up to the Osram
PHILIPS Xenon X-TremeVision Gen2 +150% D3S HID Xenon Bulbs Set Of Two 42403XV2C1
I’ve installed them and they are a great bulb. In fact one of the best selling premium and close to the more pure white. They are a big step up from OEM. If you are looking for a more bright white you would be happy with those.

now why I don’t run them myself. Humans can’t see depth as well the higher towards the ultra violet spectrum, some like me are a little more sensitive. In HID applications I lose a lot of depth the closer to 6k I get. With LED it’s not as noticeable to me. But for what ever HID it is. A 5500 for me really drops off. So the 4200-4300k that the night breakers give out give me a little more punch. And a touch brighter. Most people it doesn’t effect though. If you are looking for the brightest bulb you can get and the best you can see with the NB’s are about it. But the XTV are extremely close and usually more popular due to the price point. I also swing on the Osram sack as their customer service has been great for me.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Something is wrong with your headlights... Either a bad balast or most likely not properly aimed cause these cars stock lamps create a FLOOD of light.

Going to a 5000k lamp will make your lights WORSE not better. I recommend going warmer to something in the 4200k range.

Try The osram Night breakers or the Phillips XV2 those should give you better results over stock.

Also it's the nature of driving a lower car... You arent going to project light like an suv or truck because u dont have the height. You may want to consider actual flood lights. Like what they used on group b rally cars back in the day.

You can mount them behind your bumper in the front grill and just run a larger radiator like a Mishimoto, performance pack or gt350 radiator to compensate for the lights blocking airflow.

If u dont care about looks mount them on the roof with 3m double stick tape. Or glue a 1"diameter neodymium magnet on them and stick it to the roof... I guarantee they won't blow off... Neodymium magnets are no joke... Especially if u put the oposite polarity on the inside of the headliner...
Sponsored

Last edited: