Sponsored

So fender vents were considered...

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
=scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=107&se=7&ig_cache_key=MjE2MTIzNzIyOTY1MDIyOTA4NA%3D%3D.jpg

75341409_2410785442513652_5639141735176463958_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.jpg

Also this, posted by @Epiphany

2020-design-crew-dat-ass-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
TopNotch: That is MOST interesting and where in the world did you find those images, if you can say, that is?

I'm not a fan of the way they look in the photos and from what I've seen and read, brake cooling doesn't seem to be an issue.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, there's already a LOT going on with the front 1/2 of the car, so unless there was a very compelling performance need, it was a little much.

My only very minor design beef, is the rear 1/2 not having anything really unique - I mean, sure there's the snake logo, bigger exhaust tips (CFTP wing if optioned) but I mean, squint and it's a GT350. I get that rear fender/panel changes would've meant significant cost (vs. the way more modular front end), but maybe even just the rear valance? Is that the same as the GT350[?]

@1MEAN18 Love me some Justified :D

Sponsored

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
Yeah, i'd prefer some vents like the ones on the GT350 to add some more flavor to the side profile, but not a fan of these so much.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah, i'd prefer some vents like the ones on the GT350 to add some more flavor to the side profile, but not a fan of these so much.
Yes! I like the GT350 side vents.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
We knew about these like 2 years ago.
My understanding is they canceled them because they didn’t see any real benefits.

I think they would of looked great.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I was watching talking shit with alejandro flores (alex) and john lund. They have sources saying the car generates a lot of heat. So those fender vents would have helped. They need to be much bigger tho, like the ACR fender vents.

They are getting a gt500 to test and make aftermarket parts for.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Pretty upsetting that they dropped them from production. The GT500 has a pretty boring side profile. These would have given it looks to kill from every angle.

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
We knew about these like 2 years ago.
My understanding is they canceled them because they didn’t see any real benefits.

I think they would of looked great.
Fender vents almost always reduce drag from the front wheel wells. I think they were deleted more because of cost and the fact that the GT350 vents tend to come off over time due to the cheap tape they use. Agreed they would have looked great on the 500.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I've spoken about these before. There were three variants. Aero testing was done and yes, they provided an actual benefit. In the end all three were killed because of production line install issues due to clearance among other reasons. Didn't make sense to me as I don't get why they couldn't have been preinstalled on the fender after paint (off the car) but it is what it is.

The last version done was a compromise that tried to best accomodate line installation but I understand the worst in terms of aesthetics. So in the end designers chose the "clean" route.

Chris showed them on an early sketch too.
Z%2520Chris%2520Stevens%2520sketch-L.jpg

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...owens-and-gary-patterson.116095/#post-2441663

Full shots, high res...

2020%20GT500%20vents-X3.jpg

Design%20Team-X4.jpg

My sense is that the sketch in red was early. The use of R Model GT350 wheels, a GT350-esque grille opening, a somewhat appearing older version of the snake badge in the grille, and a more "cowl"ish, hood, may hint at when it was penned. Front fascia was definitely nailed early on if that were indeed the case. From what I understand, the first vent version, Porsche influenced(?), would be what you see. Great looking but line issues had the studio looking at other versions. The silver car, I think as it isn't easy to discern, may be showing the third version. Easier to install but not as good looking.

I don't know if Jamal had left prior to or after the vents were killed, or Raj. Or whether Pericak was involved in the decision. Regardless, a missed opportunity. Bosses could have been incorporated into the molds at CSP and the fender liners could have had an embossed border, both allowing trimming them post production. Ford Performance could have sold a vent kit comprising of the vents, and associated hardware. Could have. Should have. Sadly, it would seem this would have been a bit much as somebody there would have complained that it was too much for the average drooling American that wants to just bolt-on and go. Another missed opportunity.

We were so close too...

Possible-2019-GT500-Mule-Spotted-with-Fender-Arch-Vents-Gills%2B2-L.jpg

Last edited:

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I've spoken about these before. There were three variants. Aero testing was done and yes, they provided an actual benefit. In the end all three were killed because of production line install issues
That’s not the reason I was told when I spoke to the engineers in Vegas. They stated they found no benefit from them to relieve pressure from that area so they scrapped them. What I should’ve asked was if it hurt it, because if it didn’t I would’ve liked for them to keep some version of it. It would help the side profile from an aesthetic perspective.

The line issues may have contributed to it, but they were very specific about whether it benefited the aero of the car and not production issues.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
They worked. Just as they work for Porsche.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
They worked. Just as they work for Porsche.
Not debating that. I’m sure they did work, but according to Jeff Greuer, there was no benefit. So it’s probably a combination of no benefit, potential line issues, and who knows what else. They were very adamant that it was a lack of benefit that led to removing them.

i wish they would’ve kept them
Sponsored