Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If it's faster why not? Hp is just a number. I think people buying those don't care if it has less power if it's a faster car
Because that's not the way the mind of the average consumer works. Sure, to us enthusiasts, ANY performance bump is desired, regardless of the horsepower numbers associated. But to the masses, they look at 2 numbers; horsepower and top speed

You mean the SAME GM that has ATSV and CTSV replacements both making less hp than the current ATSV and CTSV?
But they aren't called "CTS-V" and "ATS-V", now are they?

If the "Z06" came back as something NOT called "Z06", then yeah, they probably could get away with less power because it's NOT a Z06
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
But they aren't called "CTS-V" and "ATS-V", now are they?

If the "Z06" came back as something NOT called "Z06", then yeah, they probably could get away with less power because it's NOT a Z06
Well....yes....and no....

There is a CT5-V (CT5 replacing CTS) and there is a CT4-V (CT4 replacing ATS) but now they are mid-level trims instead of top dogs. There will be top dogs, but they won’t be called CT5-V or CT4-V. They’ll be called Blackwing. Or maybe they won’t. Confused yet? Good. I don’t have enough “adult beverages” on my shelf to figure out what the hell Cadillac Marketing is doing with their product naming. Maybe I should just ask if I can have one or two of what they’re drinking.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Well....yes....and no....

There is a CT5-V (CT5 replacing CTS) and there is a CT4-V (CT4 replacing ATS) but now they are mid-level trims instead of top dogs. There will be top dogs, but they won’t be called CT5-V or CT4-V. They’ll be called Blackwing. Or maybe they won’t. Confused yet? Good. I don’t have enough “adult beverages” on my shelf to figure out what the hell Cadillac Marketing is doing with their product naming. Maybe I should just ask if I can have one or two of what they’re drinking.
Their just trying to keep up with the rest of GMs marketing brilliant alpha numeric system.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Most people must not be reading what you do I guess?
Or not comprehending/listening when the reviewers state which car they would rather own.

Just so you know, according to him, if you point out something shitty about a Ford product that you own, you also have to point out something shitty about a GM product as well, otherwise you're a troll.
Oh, poor guy! Are you ok?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or not comprehending/listening when the reviewers state which car they would rather own.
Having had the 2019 GT350 for a couple days I get this. ZL1s that I have driven would easily outperform it on the drag strip. They would also outperform it on the road course, though it would be a lot closer than it was in 2016 when I drove a 2016 GT350 and a 2017 ZL1 back to back. Back then I would have chosen the ZL1 over the GT350. It performed better and felt better. The 2019 feels like a different car than the 2016. And even though the ZL1 outperforms it, the 2019 GT350 just feels more fun to drive.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Having had the 2019 GT350 for a couple days I get this. ZL1s that I have driven would easily outperform it on the drag strip. They would also outperform it on the road course, though it would be a lot closer than it was in 2016 when I drove a 2016 GT350 and a 2017 ZL1 back to back. Back then I would have chosen the ZL1 over the GT350. It performed better and felt better. The 2019 feels like a different car than the 2016. And even though the ZL1 outperforms it, the 2019 GT350 just feels more fun to drive.
Ford it seems has been quietly upgrading both the base GT350 and GT350R. Recall in previous head to head testing, the GT350R was VERY close around the track to the ZL1. I'd venture to say with these latest round of updates that it may very well outperform the ZL1 around a lot of tracks.

Also worth noting, the current GT350 took second in Motortrends 2019 best drivers car. I'm wondering if for next year they test both the upgraded R and the GT500?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Because that's not the way the mind of the average consumer works. Sure, to us enthusiasts, ANY performance bump is desired, regardless of the horsepower numbers associated. But to the masses, they look at 2 numbers; horsepower and top speed
I don't believe that the masses buy 100k plus sports cars.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Also worth noting, the current GT350 took second in Motortrends 2019 best drivers car. I'm wondering if for next year they test both the upgraded R and the GT500?
It's interesting to note that Motor Trend hasn't really liked too many Mustang models including PP and PP2, but they do like the GT350 quite a bit.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford it seems has been quietly upgrading both the base GT350 and GT350R. Recall in previous head to head testing, the GT350R was VERY close around the track to the ZL1. I'd venture to say with these latest round of updates that it may very well outperform the ZL1 around a lot of tracks.

Equally worth noting that Motor Trend also picked the 2020 Corvette Stingray Z51 over that same Porsche. :like:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/che...8-vs-2020-porsche-911-comparison-test-review/

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Equally worth noting that Motor Trend also picked the 2020 Corvette Stingray Z51 over that same Porsche. :like:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/che...8-vs-2020-porsche-911-comparison-test-review/
One interesting tidbit of info. It appears the GT350 ran a 1:36.83 during that competition. That's nearly a second quicker than the SS 1LE they tested in 2016. I know, different days comes into play here...but for those that were always speculating how the SS 1LE would fare against the non-R, now they have more fuel for the fire. For reference, the R ran a 1:36.11 that year.

Kirgiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrzej
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
not a bad hypothesis. I was fully expecting the 5.2 TT to win out along with the 10 speed, with a long shot AWD tier.

that DCT though. I think it’s responsible for the new stratosphere the 500 is playing in. The 760 hp doesn’t hurt though.
DCT is nothing special. You can find them in Europe everywhere. Even in 1.0 liter 3 cyliner cars.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DCT is nothing special. You can find them in Europe everywhere. Even in 1.0 liter 3 cyliner cars.
Those are completely different DCTs though. It's like saying a Shih Tsu is a dog and a Cane Corso is a dog. European 1.0L cars have Shih Tsu DCTs. The GT500 / C8 DCTs are Cane Corsos.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Those are completely different DCTs though. It's like saying a Shih Tsu is a dog and a Cane Corso is a dog. European 1.0L cars have Shih Tsu DCTs. The GT500 / C8 DCTs are Cane Corsos.
FACTS!!!!!! DCT in a Merc CLA250 is pure shit.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
One interesting tidbit of info. It appears the GT350 ran a 1:36.83 during that competition. That's nearly a second quicker than the SS 1LE they tested in 2016. I know, different days comes into play here...but for those that were always speculating how the SS 1LE would fare against the non-R, now they have more fuel for the fire. For reference, the R ran a 1:36.11 that year.
Welll.. I would hope a car that's up 70 hp and is a $15k+ premium over the 1LE would be more than a second faster
Sponsored