Sponsored

What is Considered "High Mileage" or Life Expectancy of the Coyote?

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT and since purchase I have put about 16,000 miles on it. I do the occasional spirited drive, maybe a pull or two to redline in 6th gear on the highway, but other than that I just daily drive it normally (for reference I'll usually get about 23.5-24mpg on a tank with highway+city). Whenever I drive it, I make sure it warms up and the transmission idles down.

Are 16,000 miles considered very high mileage for a car like this of that age or is that about expected for true daily driven car?
Are my few pulls doing enough damage to significantly lower the life of my engine, or is it built for a little fun (but obviously not constant revving)?
Also, with just regular driving and use, and a proper warm-up before driving, what kind of life is expected out of the Coyote?

Thanks, everyone, and I hope I can hear some experiences from other members on this.

Edit: Clarification, 16,000 is not high miles, I was more asking if 16k miles in this amount of time is high yearly mileage. Like 16k on an F-150 is fine but 16k on a Lamborghini would be completely outrageous.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If maintenance is religiously maintained and documented, this is much more important than mileage alone.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
There are tons of 150k + coyotes, I seen a few 200k on the FB pages..

For me high mileage is 30k though haha. Last 2 cars were traded at less then 25k, but I only put 5-7k a year on my cars due to working from home.

Edit: like stated above, maintenance is the most important factor in making anything last. A car that’s beat on reasonably but maintained regularly is going to last a lot longer then a car that’s driven normally but never maintained.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
My last car before this was a 2012 GT. I Bought it CPO with 65k miles, and personally put on another 100k hard miles with many launches at the drag strip. I ran a tune for about 95k of those miles. The engine never skipped a beat. By the way, I was still on the original clutch when I traded it in at 165k miles, with no slippage. It also had the infamous BBQ tick everybody is so worried about...for the entire time. And I changed the oil every 7500 miles. The only engine maintenance I did besides oil changes was spark plugs once at 90l, one coolant flush, and two brake fluid/clutch fluid flushes.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
16k is nothing.

Just an interesting example: Car & Driver magazine does their 40,000 mile long term reviews. They measure acceleration, braking, handling, fuel, etc when new and at 40k.

Nearly every vehicle tested posts better stats at 40k than new. The car is fully “broken in”.

These engines underwent a ton of R&D and are basically expected to be severe duty engines. Their platform is a muscle car (for lack of a better term) and a lineup of trucks.

Short of a mechanical defect, negligent maintenance or adding a power adder or a bad tune (not saying a supercharger will pop the motor, but it does add significant stress) and carelessly beating on the car, the engine should last the life of the car.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Anything over 150K would be high mileage. Less than 500 miles from 80k here and going strong as ever.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
150k+ is no sweat on these engines, I wouldn't be worried at all to send it even at 100k+.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
16k is nothing.
Especially down here in the south, I've had my 18' PP1 for 13 months and just tripped 25,000 on it. I beat it like it owes me money and it just keeps going. Oil loss is negligible, I only topped off a pint on my last 8,000mile OCI.

I did have the transmission serviced at 20,000, new fluid and filter mainly due to nearly 100 mostly 1/8 mile passes and wanted to check to see if there was any clutch material in the pan, There wasn't.

Tire wear on these P4S has also been surprisingly good ...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Take a look at any of the older modular engines and see how long they last to get an idea of what the Coyote is capable of.

Sure a high strung 12:1 compression 7500rpm engine won't last nearly as long as those driven at their full potential, but you have to remember that oils and components have gotten much better over the years too. Think of how brittle the 4.6 components are (that it could not take more than 450rwhp) compared to a Coyote that can handle 6-700rwhp without a sweat.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Miles aren't a primary deciding factor of how long a car will last. That's a secondary factor. The primary factor has already been mentioned... Maintenance. Most modern cars these days WILL go 200,000 miles with PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Screenshot_20190809-082826_Facebook.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
16k is nothing.

Just an interesting example: Car & Driver magazine does their 40,000 mile long term reviews. They measure acceleration, braking, handling, fuel, etc when new and at 40k.

Nearly every vehicle tested posts better stats at 40k than new. The car is fully “broken in”.

These engines underwent a ton of R&D and are basically expected to be severe duty engines. Their platform is a muscle car (for lack of a better term) and a lineup of trucks.

Short of a mechanical defect, negligent maintenance or adding a power adder or a bad tune (not saying a supercharger will pop the motor, but it does add significant stress) and carelessly beating on the car, the engine should last the life of the car.
Well not necessarily just 16k, but 16k since I bought it was more of the jist.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What would you guys consider to be good, regular maintenance? I do maintain it pretty well, but I'd like to hear some opinions too. Maybe things like "well you really actually change the oil every _____ miles, not every _____ miles!"

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
What would you guys consider to be good, regular maintenance? I do maintain it pretty well, but I'd like to hear some opinions too. Maybe things like "well you really actually change the oil every _____ miles, not every _____ miles!"
I use Amsoil Signature and do UOA with each change. I did one at 1200 miles i think and then just now at 6500. both came back as expected. i will probably go to 7500 and see how that looks and then as long as it comes back good 10k or so.. Our daily gets changed at 20k and the oil is still great. i dont think i could hold myself to wait 20k in my cars lol. I base mine off UOA's though. depending on the oil you should have no issues going 7500-10k miles on it.. no reason to change oil at 3-5k any more unless you really run it hard.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I base mine off UOA's though. depending on the oil you should have no issues going 7500-10k miles on it.. no reason to change oil at 3-5k any more unless you really run it hard.
I interesting take on it, thanks.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I sold My totally stock (except for tune) 2011 GT at 190K+ miles with a 3.73 that was still running great and putting down about 390-400 rwhp on a 91 tune from Greg @ RET . The only problem was it consumed oil like crazy but never faltered and ran great up to the day I sold it.
Sponsored