Boostane alternative to E85?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No E85 in my region. So . . . with the proper ratio of Boostane and 93 octane, I can get to 99-100 octane easily.

So question is, can a 2018 GT with some bolt-on's and 99-100 octane using Bootane achieve close to the same, It not the same HP/Torque as E85?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sure as long as you can find someone willing to tune for the boostane.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
No E85 in my region. So . . . with the proper ratio of Boostane and 93 octane, I can get to 99-100 octane easily.

So question is, can a 2018 GT with some bolt-on's and 99-100 octane using Bootane achieve close to the same, It not the same HP/Torque as E85?
Sure as long as you can find someone willing to tune for the boostane.
The short answer is NO.

To run E85 you would need a dedicated tune to take advantage of the timing increase E85 allows.

To get the same HP/TQ benefits from gasoline would also require an aftermarket tune as the factory tune is not optimized for "bolt-on's".

And here lies the problem..., most reputable tuning companies will not configure a gasoline tune the way they will an E85 tune because of the vast differences in pump-gas quality from brand-to-brand and even pump-to-pump on any given day, and there is no way for you to test it. Pump gas is essentially a leap of faith as it applies to octane.

Just because it says 91 or 93 octane on the pump is no guarantee it is in fact 91 or 93 octane gasoline.

At least with E85 you can test it right before you decide to fill 'er up.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I had Lund make me 100 octane tune on my 14 GT/CS cobra jet setup. I used VP Octanium as my octane spiker. My 18 GT on E85 makes more power for sure. Not apples to apples, but I will take E tune any day over pump or spiked pump. Zero knock always on E. Jmo.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
No for several reasons:

1) tuners will have a hard time extracting all the power out of the tune because even with 93+boostane there's no guarantee of the final octane rating. And without a guarantee, they will not write an aggressive tune (similar to flex fuel tunes vs. full E85 tunes)
2) E85 has more octane than your supposed 100, so even if the tuner writes an agressive tune it won't match that of the E85
3) ethanol based gasoline has other power benefits than pure octane, something that you won't have the benefit of when running E10 at 100 octane

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No Sunoco reasonably close, no E85 either. Have 93 octane everywhere.

My thoughts are if it's tuned for 93, and I add enough Boostane to run around 96+ octane, the 93 tune should be knock proof and keep detonation away on an FI motor.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
No Sunoco reasonably close, no E85 either. Have 93 octane everywhere.

My thoughts are if it's tuned for 93, and I add enough Boostane to run around 96+ octane, the 93 tune should be knock proof and keep detonation away on an FI motor.
lol. So are we talking bolt on’s or FI now?? No pump gas is knock proof... You would have to log it and build the tune around the fuel you get.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

Just stick to pump gas... If your car is a daily it doesn't make sense resorting to exotic fuels to get an extra 10-20hp...

For perspectivs... These cars lose 10-20hp when the intake temperatures go over 100 degrees...

On a street car tune to the worst fuel, you can find or what's readily available, because u'll never know where you'll be a few months Or years from now... u might be on a road trip and find yourself out of fuel with nothing but 87 octane, diesel and "off road diesel" available for the next 300 miles...

If you have a whipple, and this is a car u drive 2 times a week just go all the way and get u some VP racing fuel, you can order it online...

Or do methanol. The meth has the added benefit of cooling the engine... So you'll make a fuck load of power. Some meth cars cool the intake charge so much it starts frosting the manifold. Lol cool stuff

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Just stick to pump gas... If your car is a daily it doesn't make sense resorting to exotic fuels to get an extra 10-20hp...

For perspectivs... These cars lose 10-20hp when the intake temperatures go over 100 degrees...

On a street car tune to the worst fuel, you can find or what's readily available, because u'll never know where you'll be a few months Or years from now... u might be on a road trip and find yourself out of fuel with nothing but 87 octane, diesel and "off road diesel" available for the next 300 miles...

If you have a whipple, and this is a car u drive 2 times a week just go all the way and get u some VP racing fuel, you can order it online...

Or do methanol. The meth has the added benefit of cooling the engine... So you'll make a fuck load of power. Some meth cars cool the intake charge so much it starts frosting the manifold. Lol cool stuff
Is Methanol safe with supercharging? I thought I read read somewhere a while ago that it was "iffy". Can you verify?
How come more people don't use this method if it works so well with supercharging? Is it because of cost?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Is Methanol safe with supercharging? I thought I read read somewhere a while ago that it was "iffy". Can you verify?
How come more people don't use this method if it works so well with supercharging? Is it because of cost?
Yeah bro people use meth with boost all the time... I don't know all the details about it. But I'd look into that or even water Or alcohol injection...

To be honest all of these options are a waste NA... You can only advance spark so much, all the added fuel fanciness wont yeild much powerwise...

With all the time your wasting trying to squeeze out 10 or 20 hp, you could have bought a used set of heads and got them CNC ported and made the same amount of power reliably on pump gas...

With boost its a different story because u can run more boost without detonating, so if that's what you're doing then yes e85, alcohol, meth, etc makes sense

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Reasonably close? I have a 2 or 4 hour drive @ 75mph to get to a race track, and I don't think you are in New Mexico.
Sponsored