Sponsored

2017 GT - Musty Smell in Cabin caused by Hood Insulation Design

Guard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Hello All,

I purchased a new 2017 Ford Mustang GT back in March and have been having issues with a light Musty smell in the interior of the car. Had the dealer check multiple times and could not find a cabin water leak NOR detect the problem. One dealer said it was normal because of the outside temperature and humidity. Decided to investigate the issue my self and noticed that the only thing that got wet was the hood insulation. Water would leak in between the Hood and the Insulation at the GT hood scoop location. At first I didn't think this would cause the musty smell because its inside the engine bay but somehow the design of the HVAC system has the outside air come from behind the battery at the firewall. Water eventually migrates from the hood scoop location to the battery tray area and drains to the side by the fenders, but the entire insulation path gets wet without a way to dry itself. Removed the insulation and sure enough musty smell is GONE. This problem would only affect ALL the GT's because of the hood scoops. Depending on how many car washes and rain, it could be a MUSTY problem.

Take a look at the images/attachments, MOLD is growing at the hood scoop locations on the insulation. I THINK THIS IS A BAD DESIGN. I'm thinking the hood vent opening needs to be the entire area of the hood scoop, there's extra water that gets in between the perimeter of the hood scoop and hood that leaks through the hood scoop clips to the insulation. I'm going to work with the dealer to see what solution FORD can come up with.

I hope this post can help someone with the same issue, you're not going crazy.
Hood Scoop Clips.PNG

IMG_2741.jpg
Hood Insulation.PNG
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah, it's a bad draining design. When I raise the hood after washing my GT, water drips out the back of the liner for 20 minutes. I always drive it after a wash so the engine heat will completely dry out the hood liner.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Agree it is a bad design. After I wash my car and raise the hood it drips for around 20 minutes or so. I have no mold smell. I have considered removing the insulation because of the post wash drip but deal with it.

Deleted member 35644

I wonder if it would help to apply something to the back side of the insulator to help it repel water. Like a couple of rows of 12" wide Flex Seal Tape.
Insulation.jpg

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Agree it is a bad design. After I wash my car and raise the hood it drips for around 20 minutes or so. I have no mold smell. I have considered removing the insulation because of the post wash drip but deal with it.
Don't remove the insulation. The heat from the engine can damage the paint on the hood. If you do remove it, replace it with some reflective tape at least.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Guard

Guard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Don't remove the insulation. The heat from the engine can damage the paint on the hood. If you do remove it, replace it with some reflective tape at least.
I agree but at the same time I can’t stand the musty smell in the car interior which is why I’m going to try to see what solution FORD can come up with. From what I understand, in the long run the extra heat from the engine will damage the paint on the hood.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I agree but at the same time I can’t stand the musty smell in the car interior which is why I’m going to try to see what solution FORD can come up with. From what I understand, in the long run the extra heat from the engine will damage the paint on the hood.
Yup it's unacceptable for mold to grow like that. Especially on an unmodified car. If you added the vents yourself, that's another thing.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Take it off ezpz

And yes before anyone says "omg the hood paint" the hood is just fine! And I didn't die or anything!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What if some drain holes (red dots) were put into the liner at the low point near the hood vent?
S550 Hood Liner-1 (drain hole mod).jpg
S550 Hood Liner-2 (drain hole mod).jpg

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm keeping the insulation for sure. I have no smell. I have vinyl stripes that would not tolerate additional engine heat if I removed the insulation.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Needs to be a few drain holes (red dot locations) in the hood liner to drain trapped water.

S550 Hood Liner-3 (drain hole mod).jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just found this under my hood think warranty would cover?
279498CF-F514-4BA2-AE21-7C8D6821D5F8.jpeg

Has the car been stored or sitting for a while after being wet?

I’m not seeing any such mold/mildew issue with my 2018 and that’s in over 31k so far...

slater550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Has the car been stored or sitting for a while after being wet?

I’m not seeing any such mold/mildew issue with my 2018 and that’s in over 31k so far...
I havnt driven it since july. Went to wash it and clean engine bay and noticed all the mold. Pretty pissed off

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I havnt driven it since july. Went to wash it and clean engine bay and noticed all the mold. Pretty pissed off
Regarding the 2018 hood liner issue:

I would definitely show the Service Center - it should not be molding up like that at all.

Where the car is stored, is it a climate controlled garage or just a regular garage?

Sometimes even if in a regular garage if there are exterior weather changes say from hot to cold, or a lot of moisture (due to rain or even humidity), the interior of the garage can also go through those changes. Although those interior changes are not as drastic as the exterior, but if there’s any moisture in the air it could be trapped in areas of the vehicle such vehicle liners, soft parts, car covers, etc.

There’s specific products you can get at Home Depot or Lowe’s that you can place in areas of rooms, closets or garages that will wick out the moisture from the atmosphere which may help if the car is to be stored long periods of time.

There’s even specific products to place on the inside of the car too that will help guard against mold/mildew (that can happen even with windows up).
Sponsored

Last edited: