Sponsored

Thinking of a used GT350 for a daily drive over a GT

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
i daily drove my gt350 for almost a year. if its your only car, i really dont reccomend it as it doesnt really like traffic. for a 2 or 3 day a week car and weekend car, go for it.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The "Is a GT350 a good daily driver?" questions are starting to get a little ridiculous. I can understand why it's being asked but let's break it down because it really does come down to the buyer and like buttholes, everyone will have an opinion.

Yes, the GT350 is pretty gutless below 3500 RPM but it's not incapable of moving.

I don't understand the "is it practical" argument either. It's still a large coupe underpinning at the end of the day. Trunk space, rear leg room are the same, as is visibility for the most part across the entire lineup. Want visibility? Get a minivan.

MagneRide in normal mode is more complaint than even the base suspension but is indeed STIFFER (compliance =/= stiffness mind you. Compliance is about suspension communication. Stiffness is about how many cracks your back will get from that communication but says nothing about what the suspension is trying to convey to you).

Can you unwind the GT350 out on the road? Sure. I've done it. Is it a good idea? Eh.....

The fuel economy is abysmal. And for f**k's sake, fill it with premium goddamnit. You bought a 60K car and you want to feed it gummy bears rather than protein shakes? Why?

The limits of the PP1, PP2, and GT350 even in factory form CANNOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT be achieved on the streets. Period. Just because you can rip an 11 out of the local Starbucks parking lot does not mean you've reached the limits of grip and handling performance. Anyone who tells you otherwise has absolutely zero true motorsports experience. Yes that's pretentious but very honest and a necessary statement at this point.

I keep saying this, if you really WANT a GT350, actually desire one and it's in your heart, you wouldn't be asking others if it's for you or not. The GT350 has honest flaws. It is far from perfect. Trying to marginalize the GT350 makes as much sense as buying one but thankfully it so happens to be able to back up its performance chops. So you're looking for a fun daily driver with some character that has a great engine, great sound, has a great transmission, and good commuter for 95% of your driving? Charger Scat Pack.....................

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
but I can tell you that the improvement in the transmission itself was almost worth the price of selling my GT and getting a slightly used GT350. The GT350 transmission is just nearly ideal and a pleasure to use compared to GT one.
I totally agree! I’ve driven many of my friends GT’s and thought there was nothing wrong with the transmissions. They felt fine! What’s everybody complaining about! Then I got the Shelby! NOW I GET IT! Don’t go by what we are all saying! Drive both and make your own decision. I think you will come to the same conclusion. The only thing about the Shelby that wouldn’t be a consideration for an every day driver would be SNOW! (I hate that 4 letter word)

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Yes, the GT350 is pretty gutless below 3500 RPM but it's not incapable of moving.

I don't understand the "is it practical" argument either. It's still a large coupe underpinning at the end of the day. Trunk space, rear leg room are the same, as is visibility for the most part across the entire lineup. Want visibility? Get a minivan.

MagneRide in normal mode is more complaint than even the base suspension but is indeed STIFFER (compliance =/= stiffness mind you. Compliance is about suspension communication. Stiffness is about how many cracks your back will get from that communication but says nothing about what the suspension is trying to convey to you).

Can you unwind the GT350 out on the road? Sure. I've done it. Is it a good idea? Eh.....

The fuel economy is abysmal. And for f**k's sake, fill it with premium goddamnit. You bought a 60K car and you want to feed it gummy bears rather than protein shakes? Why?

The limits of the PP1, PP2, and GT350 even in factory form CANNOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT be achieved on the streets. Period. Just because you can rip an 11 out of the local Starbucks parking lot does not mean you've reached the limits of grip and handling performance. Anyone who tells you otherwise has absolutely zero true motorsports experience. Yes that's pretentious but very honest and a necessary statement at this point.

I keep saying this, if you really WANT a GT350, actually desire one and it's in your heart, you wouldn't be asking others if it's for you or not. The GT350 has honest flaws. It is far from perfect. Trying to marginalize the GT350 makes as much sense as buying one but thankfully it so happens to be able to back up its performance chops. So you're looking for a fun daily driver with some character that has a great engine, great sound, has a great transmission, and good commuter for 95% of your driving? Charger Scat Pack.....................
What a beautiful well thought out rant... I love it...!!!!!
This guy gets it my friends.

Sponsored

DH9387

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I just made this exact transition back in September. I traded in my 2017 GT Premium PP for a 2016 GT350 Tech Package and I could not be happier. The GT350 is my daily driver (roughly 15k miles a year), just like the GT was, and in day to day driving they perform almost identically. The GT350's twin-disc clutch is noticeably lighter and I find the engagement to be much smoother. So, I actually find it easier to drive in traffic. The MagneRide suspension (in either mode) is no harsher than the GT PP's suspension and shifting on the Tremec in the GT350 is much smoother than the GT's Getrag. Finally, there is no comparison between the engines. The Coyote is a great engine, but it cannot hold a candle to the Voodoo. Contrary to what some of the others have said, I find them both to be pretty gutless in the lower rpms, so I don't really see a trade-off between the two around town. The only demerits I have found with the switch are that the GT350's front splitter makes navigating driveways and ramps more complicated, my fuel economy has dropped by roughly 5 mpg (which shouldn't be a concern with these types of cars), and the sound system is noticeably worse (but who cares when you can put the exhaust into sport mode whenever you want and enjoy the real music of the engine). With all that said, if the financial side of the switch works for you, I say go for it. You won't regret it.

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP

chevyman95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
1995 Miata
Awesome, I really appreciate it guys. I understand most don't care about MPG in a V8 car. My only concern with that was I like to keep my revolving expenses low. I would buy the car outright but I have always found wealth is made or lost in revolving expenses. Regardless thanks for all the input. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Sponsored