Sponsored

Did I make a mistake?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not the club I was hoping to be apart of lol. Sounds like I should have the dealer take a look at it. It is a Ford Certified car so hopefully the additional 1 year warranty will take care of it. I’f it’s the driveshaft, I’d really like to just purchased a aftermarket solid driveshaft but, I don’t want to do that until the vibration issue is fixed otherwise the dealer may point to that when inspecting the car.
Driveshaft would be covered under the Powertrain warranty. 5yr/60k or on a CPO car 7r/100k with a $100 deductible.
Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Not the club I was hoping to be apart of lol. Sounds like I should have the dealer take a look at it. It is a Ford Certified car so hopefully the additional 1 year warranty will take care of it. I’f it’s the driveshaft, I’d really like to just purchased a aftermarket solid driveshaft but, I don’t want to do that until the vibration issue is fixed otherwise the dealer may point to that when inspecting the car.
I have read many stories of people putting in 1 piece driveshafts and either gaining a vibration, or making an existing one worse. The only way I'd do a 1 piece DS is by going with carbon fiber.

If you don't have luck at the dealer, some members have solved the vibration issue by shimming the trans mount to alter the driveline angles. Should be covered in the thread I linked as well.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Not to beat a dead horse, but do what the others have stated.

1. Check the tires for defects/direction and tire pressure first (my friend had a driveline issue and realized that the tire shop mounted his directional tires incorrectly).
2. Check the various suspension components to see if anything looks bent, worn, etc.
3. Check the driveshaft (you might want to upgrade this piece anyway since you're going to push the limits of the car).
4. Balance the wheels and get an alignment.

That's where I'd start. With the exception of the driveshaft, these steps are cheap to do. Also, like you said, have the dealer check the car out if you're under warranty.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I bought a 2017 back in April, same exact vibration you are describing. Comes and goes at the same speeds you mentioned too. It’s the driveshaft without question. It does seem to be a popular club. I have yet to take mine in, I honestly don’t drive on the highway much and I’m about to put the car away for the winter. I plan to let Ford deal with it in the spring. My car was 100% stock when I purchased it from the original owner.

My Dad recently had his explorer at Ford for some work and he talked to the tech about my car. Tech said instantly that it’s the driveshaft. He seemed very familiar with the problem. If you have a decent dealer to work with, I’m sure they’ll figure it out.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have read many stories of people putting in 1 piece driveshafts and either gaining a vibration, or making an existing one worse. The only way I'd do a 1 piece DS is by going with carbon fiber.

If you don't have luck at the dealer, some members have solved the vibration issue by shimming the trans mount to alter the driveline angles. Should be covered in the thread I linked as well.

Exactly ^^^^

That advice is the absolute best to follow. You can spend the time reading the driveline thread linked above (which is the one I referred to earlier). I would also recommend hitting up the Transmission sub-forum too and reading the large threads there about the 1-piece driveshafts. Many folks who have swapped from the stock DS over to a 1-piece have have experienced exactly as noted above (and have either returned or sold off the 1-piece).

The Dealership should assist and cover any repair efforts under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
compslow

compslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Mustang GT
Thanks everyone. I plan to schedule an appointment with the dealer as soon as the weather clears up here in Denver. I’ll point them to the driveshaft based off this and the links provided. Much appreciated.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks everyone. I plan to schedule an appointment with the dealer as soon as the weather clears up here in Denver. I’ll point them to the driveshaft based off this and the links provided. Much appreciated.
The thread should have the TSB # as well, that'll be helpful.

Don't let the dealer give you any shit, the dealer I bought from tried to blame the tires every time I took it in. Even after replacing the factory pirellis with michelin pilot sports, they still wouldn't do anything after they had done the initial driveshaft replacement. Took it to a new dealer after I moved and thats when it got resolved.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey Everyone,

I had a 2014 Mustang GT M6 that had a Whipple installed on it and decided I wanted to upgrade to a 15+ auto with hopes of pushing the stock motor a bit further. I really wanted to find a Competition Orange car so I started my search about a year ago. I finally found the car I wanted, but it was ten hours away. I decided to move forward so, I flew out and purchased the car.

On the way back home, I noticed a slight vibration. It's not something that rattles the car apart, but it is very annoying and noticeable in comparison to my 14 or, really any other car I've driven.. Now that I've had the car for few months, I've been able to nail down the vibration to start at 50mph. It continues through 60mph, then fades. It comes back in at 70+mph and increases noticeably as the speed increases. I took the car on the track a few months back and at 105mph the car shook pretty bad.

I would like to get everyone's opinion on what is causing the issue??

Thanks in advance!
Not a big deal...

Rattles are usually caused by any of the following:
1. Bent wheel, or unbalanced tires
2. Bent control arms, or damaged bushings
3. Bad wheel bearings
4. Bad driveshaft...
5.loose wheel nuts

More than likely the car hit a curb and they just replaced the wheels and sold it, get it aligned they will find the issue. If not then it's in the drive line most likely the driveshaft... The car probably had a supercharger on it and probably some drag radicals, he probably did a few big launches and trashed the Ujoints... the owner then preordered a vette and returned it to stock before he sold it to u... Or knocked up some chick and feels guilty about needing to own a "grown up" car

Good news its a coyote so it'll be fine. If worse case the tranny blows big deal put in a 10R80.

Just get it aligned thats the biggest thing and wheel bearings. Both of those can kill u look over the driveshaft, I've seen cars where guys forgot to torque the bolts or left off bolts all together.

Anyway NEVER drive a car thats vibrating hard fast... Ever...

find the issue and fix it. If its a bad wheel bearing you dont want your front wheel falling off at over 100 mph... That's how u have a really bad day...
Sponsored