Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys, new here and this is my first post. My car is a Roush RS2 with a blower. I just got this car in late June 2019 and only have 4700 miles on it. It has a build date of April 2018. As many of you have experienced, I too have a rattle coming from my 2018 Mustang 5.0L. It started rattling at close to 2000 miles and has only gotten worse. It used to only rattle during warm up between 200-2700rpm, now it’s gotten louder and more consistent.

I finally took it to the dealership only to have a technician tell me it was “normal clutch chatter”. At the time (about a month ago) when I first took it in, it wasn’t as loud and prominent as it is now. The tech seemed like a good dude and asked me to please bring it back if it got worse. That’s where I am now, I took it back on Tuesday and went for ride with the foreman. He took notice quickly and agreed that there is a noise coming from the motor. He said that it would be a couple of days before he can diagnose it.

I got a call back on Thursday confirming what I thought which was catastrophic engine failure. I spoke with the technician, he said that he drained the oil and found what he thought looked like glitter in the oil. He then took the filter apart and found lots of metal shavings in the cartridge. He basically said that everything would need to be replaced from the supercharger down, but would need approval from Roush before he could order the parts. He couldn’t tell me how long it would take to or couldn’t reassure me that this wouldn’t happen again with the new engine. “Unfortunately this has happened a lot with these cars” he said. Hmm…:headbang:

Here is a video sound clip of what it sounded like:
That's exactly what my 2019 with a build date of march 19 sounds like. I took mine to the dealer took the tech out, they could definitely hear the noise. Kept the car all day and said while they acknowledge it's a noise , they dont know what from and since it's not burning oil or anything to just monitor it. Next oil change they said they would cut the filter open and check on it. I'm beyond frustrated as this is one of the few new cars I have bought. I literally hate the sound of it when cold.

I think the worst part is I asked for a borescope, for them to cut the filter open, all the things but they basically said no need. Both way this noise is normal , and mine is getting worse with mileage and last longer even when warm. And even if I do end up getting the motor replaced , no guarantee it wont happen again. How has ford not noticed this or not saying anything about it? We have had multiple fords , and this will be the last one we ever have after this mess, regardless if I keep the car or not.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
That's exactly what my 2019 with a build date of march 19 sounds like. I took mine to the dealer took the tech out, they could definitely hear the noise. Kept the car all day and said while they acknowledge it's a noise , they dont know what from and since it's not burning oil or anything to just monitor it. Next oil change they said they would cut the filter open and check on it. I'm beyond frustrated as this is one of the few new cars I have bought. I literally hate the sound of it when cold.

I think the worst part is I asked for a borescope, for them to cut the filter open, all the things but they basically said no need. Both way this noise is normal , and mine is getting worse with mileage and last longer even when warm. And even if I do end up getting the motor replaced , no guarantee it wont happen again. How has ford not noticed this or not saying anything about it? We have had multiple fords , and this will be the last one we ever have after this mess, regardless if I keep the car or not.
The noise in the video is the same noise a lot of us (I'd argue it's everyone with the gen 3 but someone will say otherwise) have and don't have metal in the filter. I got a new engine and both make that sound, among others. The difference? The new one drives fine, doesn't burn oil, and doesn't have metal in the filter media. If it bothers you that much then cut it open yourself. When I did my first oil change on the old engine, I saw a lot of metal glitter sitting on top, when the oil was in the pan. I changed the oil for the second time, on the new engine, last week, and nothing. The rattle is still very much there, regardless. It's not indicative of engine failure. If it were, many others on here would have needed new engines by now.

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
The noise in the video is the same noise a lot of us (I'd argue it's everyone with the gen 3 but someone will say otherwise) have and don't have metal in the filter. I got a new engine and both make that sound, among others. The difference? The new one drives fine, doesn't burn oil, and doesn't have metal in the filter media. If it bothers you that much then cut it open yourself. When I did my first oil change on the old engine, I saw a lot of metal glitter sitting on top, when the oil was in the pan. I changed the oil for the second time, on the new engine, last week, and nothing. The rattle is still very much there, regardless. It's not indicative of engine failure. If it were, many others on here would have needed new engines by now.
You are absolutely right. I'm not burning any oil , I'll have them.cut the filter open but assuming I dont have any chunks of anything or excessive glitter, I'll leave it be. I have yet to hear a 3rd gen who doesn't have this noise. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth! P.s. it's still fast as hell. I'm at around 1500 miles so I have been driving it harder , and it just revs for days. Unlike my 17 as I dont leave clouds of black smoke when I punch it either.

vcast555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Valentin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

If the tech acknowledges that there is a noise, then he needs to offer an explanation of what he thinks it is. Did you have them document it on paperwork? I made sure that they listed in detail on mine the first time i took it in just to cover my ass. I would definitely take it back and ask to speak to the shop foreman, don't wait for the next oil change. if its anything like mine, you'll know right away when they take the cartridge out of the oil filter. Maybe its worth seeing another dealer? I didn't have that option since I have a Roush, but you should be able to take it to any Ford dealership for a second opinion.

I understand your frustration, my car was the same, it was loud when cold and it used to be very quiet when it got warm until recently, now you can hear it all the time, like nails on a chalkboard! Drove me crazy! I know there is no guarantee that it won't happen again, but considering how many of these cars are out there, I think the percentage is in our favor, fingers crossed...

vcast555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Valentin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You are absolutely right. I'm not burning any oil , I'll have them.cut the filter open but assuming I dont have any chunks of anything or excessive glitter, I'll leave it be. I have yet to hear a 3rd gen who doesn't have this noise. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth! P.s. it's still fast as hell. I'm at around 1500 miles so I have been driving it harder , and it just revs for days. Unlike my 17 as I dont leave clouds of black smoke when I punch it either.
Mine wasn't burning any oil either, but having a rattle coming from the block isn't normal. I know a handful of people that have these cars, some of them complain about the tick, but none of them have this rattle. I would recommend that you have them open the filter and have them document any findings. Again, there is nothing normal about a rattle...

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mine wasn't burning any oil either, but having a rattle coming from the block isn't normal. I know a handful of people that have these cars, some of them complain about the tick, but none of them have this rattle. I would recommend that you have them open the filter and have them document any findings. Again, there is nothing normal about a rattle...
Stop trying to scare someone because you had a bad experience. Most people, with a 2018+ MY, have that stupid rattle and there's a myriad of posts on it. There's nothing wrong with biz getting it checked, but drop the anecdotal crap about what's normal and not because, to be frank, you don't know. Do you have any pics of a tear down showing the issue that directly ties it to the rattle? Also, last I checked, catastrophic engine failure means that the engine is done. Completely done. Still driving with metal glitter in the filter media is not a catastrophic engine failure. I also had to have a longblock replacement; it left me without my car for almost 3 months. It sucks and I'm sorry it happened to you, but don't think your experience instantly makes you an expert on the topic. What you're doing is just as bad as the people who blindly say there's nothing wrong with these cars, they're bullet proof, and the rest of us are crazy for thinking otherwise.

@bizlipkick go ahead and proceed as you will, but browse the forums here to get a real idea of how "bad" the rattle is beyond the hear sayings of one person's opinion. This isn't to say you may not have a genuine issue, but I still stand firm when I say the rattle alone is not indicative of engine failure. Just perusing this thread alone will prove that. This topic has been beaten to death.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Still driving with metal glitter in the filter media is not a catastrophic engine failure.
True, but anything beyond a couple of minute metal particles after break-in is not normal and signals a problem is going on. It should therefore be investigated.

On my 2015 GT I didn't see more than a couple small flakes in the filter on the first break-in oil change at 2200 miles, and no metal glitter in the oil. It actually surprised me as I expected some glitter in the oil based on many new vehicles I've done first break-in oil changes on. Saw nothing at all in the oil or filter on the second oil change.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
True, but anything beyond a couple of minute metal particles after break-in is not normal and signals a problem is going on. It should therefore be investigated.

On my 2015 GT I didn't see more than a couple small flakes in the filter on the first break-in oil change at 2200 miles, and no metal glitter in the oil. It actually surprised me as I expected some glitter in the oil based on many new vehicles I've done first break-in oil changes on. Saw nothing at all in the oil or filter on the second oil change.
I wasn't arguing that there wasn't damage warranting a replacement for vcast. Bizl has nothing, beyond the rattle, to indicate any sort of damage is going on under the hood and I don't think it's fair for vcast to push bizl into believing anything else because of a single sound. Especially when you factor in how many members (just look at the poll) have the rattle. You've been apart of enough of these discussions to know how they can quickly devolve into fear mongering. Bizl's dealership said they will cut the oil filter open upon the next oil change. That's a fair course of action. It's a far cry from the "oh you have a Mustang? These things last forever. Be on your way." That I got on my first visit.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I wasn't arguing that there wasn't damage warranting a replacement for vcast. Bizl has nothing, beyond the rattle, to indicate any sort of damage is going on under the hood and I don't think it's fair for vcast to push bizl into believing anything else because of a single sound. Especially when you factor in how many members (just look at the poll) have the rattle. You've been apart of enough of these discussions to know how they can quickly devolve into fear mongering. Bizl's dealership said they will cut the oil filter open upon the next oil change. That's a fair course of action. It's a far cry from the "oh you have a Mustang? These things last forever. Be on your way." That I got on my first visit.
I agree, lots of guys have noisy engines .. especially the 2018+ guys. I'm not advocating fear mongering ... just saying that signs like oil consumption and metal debris in the oil and filter are signs that should be taken seriously and investigated further.

vcast555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Valentin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Stop trying to scare someone because you had a bad experience. Most people, with a 2018+ MY, have that stupid rattle and there's a myriad of posts on it. There's nothing wrong with biz getting it checked, but drop the anecdotal crap about what's normal and not because, to be frank, you don't know. Do you have any pics of a tear down showing the issue that directly ties it to the rattle? Also, last I checked, catastrophic engine failure means that the engine is done. Completely done. Still driving with metal glitter in the filter media is not a catastrophic engine failure. I also had to have a longblock replacement; it left me without my car for almost 3 months. It sucks and I'm sorry it happened to you, but don't think your experience instantly makes you an expert on the topic. What you're doing is just as bad as the people who blindly say there's nothing wrong with these cars, they're bullet proof, and the rest of us are crazy for thinking otherwise.

@bizlipkick go ahead and proceed as you will, but browse the forums here to get a real idea of how "bad" the rattle is beyond the hear sayings of one person's opinion. This isn't to say you may not have a genuine issue, but I still stand firm when I say the rattle alone is not indicative of engine failure. Just perusing this thread alone will prove that. This topic has been beaten to death.
You are right, I am no expert and nor do I pretend to be. I am not trying to scare anyone, I was merely stating that if anyone has this issue, should definitely have it checked out.

Period.

We pay a lot of money for these cars and we deserve a fair shake at enjoying them. It sucks that you had to wait 3 months to get yours repaired, I certainly hope I don't have to wait that long, or anyone else here for that matter. But if i do, then it is what it is.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You are right, I am no expert and nor do I pretend to be. I am not trying to scare anyone, I was merely stating that if anyone has this issue, should definitely have it checked out.

Period.

We pay a lot of money for these cars and we deserve a fair shake at enjoying them. It sucks that you had to wait 3 months to get yours repaired, I certainly hope I don't have to wait that long, or anyone else here for that matter. But if i do, then it is what it is.
If they're going right to the longblock replacement then you may be up and running in no time. My dealership initially had to pull the oil pan, which was on backorder, so that was a month. Then I initially was only approved for a short block, which was, yet again, on backorder. Once the shortblock arrived the tech took the heads off and found significant damage to one of the exhaust side camshafts and a longblock was approved. After that point the car was finished in about two weeks.

Unfortunately, in my case, no pictures were provided. I'm left with having no idea what sounds, that my car exhibited, were associated with the damage. The tech who worked on my car even said the same thing; no doubt in preparation for when I hit the button and heard all the same sounds. I'd be lying if the pessimist in me didn't think the whole thing was made up to appease a difficult customer.

I don't want you, or anyone else, to live in a state of paranoia with these cars. That's all. I've yet to hear one of these gen 3 coyotes NOT make the rattle to varying degrees. Yet the majority seem to be holding up to quite a bit of abuse. Maybe the tell tale sign is when the rattle remaind as loud, if not louder, at warm up. Who knows. I'm genuinely curious what's found on your end and hope to get a PM or see an update on this thread.

I agree, lots of guys have noisy engines .. especially the 2018+ guys. I'm not advocating fear mongering ... just saying that signs like oil consumption and metal debris in the oil and filter are signs that should be taken seriously and investigated further.
You're absolutely correct. Opening up an oil filter is one of the best things someone can do on every oil change.

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'll be honest I debated taking it to a other dealer.... but playing roulette hoping I get someone other then a parts monkey beating the shit out of my car and telling me the noise is normal doesn't sound like a good time as long as my car is starting and getting me to work. I am of two minds on it. I love the car, I love the color "orange fury" and minus the digital dash, which I was on the fence on anyways, it's exactly how I wanted it. And if I do start spitting chunk s of metal out, I know reasonably well that ford will handle it. I dont have to worry about being out of a car with no transportation.

The reason I say I am of two minds on it is on one side its shitty having a 46k car sound a rattle trap. Especially hearing allot of people that have the same sound and some are having motor replacements. On the other hand , I have a car most people would dream of. I think we forget how lucky we are to be in positions that let us drive a 460 hp car every day. My tech said they would cut the filter open next oil change, so unless the car doesn't start or starts making even crazier noises , I'll drive it as normal. If my .motor is fried, they will give me a rental and replace it. If the next motor has the same problem, they can replace that one or give me another car. Like someone said above, the law of averages has to swing in my favor someday.

My wife had a stroke 2 years ago at the ripe age of 34. 99 percent recovered now, but sometimes when I get huffy about my "bad luck" with the rattle I try to remember life can get much,much worse.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I would argue that every 2018+ has the rattle to some level. The tick is a hit or miss thing, but the rattle seems to be present in every car.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I've got the 2500ish RPM rattle on my 2019 GT. I noticed it about 700 miles in but suspect it did it all along and I didn't notice it til then. I'm about 4000 miles now and will do the first oil change in the next couple of weeks or so. I've used about 0,5 of a quart of oil so far which seems fine to me on a new engine. The car is an animal and I love the hell out of it. I'm not going to let a rattle ruin my enjoyment of this car. If there's a real problem there it will scatter to high hell and then the warranty comes in. If not it will keep on revving.

I'm still of the mind that this is related to the transition from Port Injection to the ramping up of the High Pressure Pump as it switches over to DI.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My wife had a stroke 2 years ago at the ripe age of 34. 99 percent recovered now, but sometimes when I get huffy about my "bad luck" with the rattle I try to remember life can get much,much worse.
Hope all is well, I can relate....
Sponsored