Thinking of a used GT350 for a daily drive over a GT

chevyman95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
1995 Miata
Wanted to run this by a few GT350 owners and make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I like the S550 GT premium 6speed a lot but it seems like the GT350 is better in every way. Better sound, Better motor, Better suspension, Better transmission, more cooling, Better looks, the whole deal. Used ones in my area (2017 models non recaro with less than 20k miles) can be had for around $42k while used 2017 GT premiums are still around $30k. To me it seems like a no brainer to spend the extra $12k. I would think that the resale value of a GT350 would be better than a standard GT down the road as well.

The only downside I see is fuel economy and requiring premium gas when driving 17k miles a year. I understand that 95% of what I would use this car for in commuting would be way underkill but I'm still considering it.

What am I missing? Thanks
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
The 350 can do 51mph in first, not exactly geared for a commute but could totally be done. Once you take it to the track, you understand why it is the way it is. The ride is great for DD too IMO. If I’m honest, i liked my bolt on 16GTPP more around town than my almost stock 350...had more down low. After i wrecked that GT, i had a choice between the same two cars again...the looks of the 350 won me over.

And you are correct on depreciation, shelby will fare much better.

Now my DD duties are shared between a gigantic wobbly jeep and a ZLE, so the shelby sounds like a cloud of titties about right now.

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you can swing it, definitely go for the GT350. Just know the motor is asleep until 3500, then it's heaven until redline.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
If your commute involves any open highway miles like me, cruising in sixth gear at 70 mph you should able to achieve 22 miles to the gallon.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I commute in mine on city streets 3 days/week. It's fine if the 17 mpg is OK with you in town and as long as you can watch for high speed bumps, deep swales, high curb entrances, etc. It bottoms up front easily. I have to plan my route for errands to avoid entrances, etc that may ground me out. Highway commute is probably less of a concern in this regard.

Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
I would add DSC controller, it with smooth out your drive. Enjoy it and the marvelous crackle sound, no way would I settle for a non GT350.
There are mods you can do that won’t affect warranty, and make her more personal.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For my daily commute, I averaged about 19 mpg in a 2015 Mustang GT and about 17 mpg in a GT350, so the fuel economy difference isn't that huge. On track the GT350 will suck a lot of fuel, though.

I think the used GT350 would be a good call. I sold my GT350 and I've been regretting it. The only thing holding me back from buying another right this minute is $$. Hopefully soon I will be in a position to purchase another.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
With a more daily driver oriented tire you could definitely use it as a daily. The difficult part of asking about that on a forum is that every individual will have a different tolerance of what they’d be happy with as a daily. In the summer there are times when I’d daily my R for a week at a time, but I’m also a young car enthusiast. Others wouldn’t be too happy doing the same. But yes, I could easily use a GT350 as a daily and would pick it over the Mustang for that.

Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
My last GT was a 2012 and my issues with the transmission may possibly have been all addressed by now in the newer GTs - but I can tell you that the improvement in the transmission itself was almost worth the price of selling my GT and getting a slightly used GT350. The GT350 transmission is just nearly ideal and a pleasure to use compared to GT one.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The 350 has a Tremec....the GT has a totally different tranny. The Tremec is used in lots of other cars, such as the CTS-V, which I had two of. I think Tremec is also building the DSG in the GT500.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
when driving 17k miles a year
your GT350 will have LOUSY resale value with that kind of mileage on it. On the other hand, cars are the worst investments known to man and the point of ownership is to enjoy it, QED drive it. So resale value is of no consequence. I can't imagine anyone willing to buy a V8 car gives a good damn about gasoline prices.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
your GT350 will have LOUSY resale value with that kind of mileage on it. On the other hand, cars are the worst investments known to man and the point of ownership is to enjoy it, QED drive it. So resale value is of no consequence. I can't imagine anyone willing to buy a V8 car gives a good damn about gasoline prices.

The above statement is sooooooo freaking true in every sense...

1) If someone is buying ANY vehicle such as a Shelby with a 5.2 V8, mpg doesn’t mean shit whether they’re daily driving it, weekend driving it, highway or city commuting it. If they have the $$$ to purchase, insure and maintain a V8 (insert any car here), then mpg isn’t even in the thought equation. IF the Buyer is thinking about how much gas will cost or mpg consumption, then they’re most likely living above their means, because the cost of gasoline is nothing compared to the cost of initial purchase, annual insurance and the obvious maintenance or cost of replacement parts associated with that type of vehicle.

2) If you’re putting 17k a year on any vehicle or even 20k, resale value will be much lower on it when comparing to the same exact car in the same exact condition. The car with the lower miles will have a higher private sale or trade in value every time.

3) Tolerance levels will be different from one person to the next. So what you may be able to tolerate as far as NVH in a daily driver, the next person replying may not agree or can’t tolerate NVH. You’re going to get a ton of varying responses. Sure the GT350 or even a GT350R can be daily driven, just like a Lamborghini or Ferrari... but each will have different pros and cons regarding suspension responsiveness and comfort afforded to the driver. If the roads in your area are shit (potholes, divots, major imperfections etc), then a vehicle with a suspension designed for extreme handling or racing characteristics. So there’s a lot of variables.

I always suggest to anyone looking for a different car over their daily to go and drive the car in question. Not just take it for the scripted Dealership “5 min drive around the neighborhood at 35mph”... I’m talking take the car out on the same roads or areas that you would be normally be driving; open it up, hit the same road toes etc. you want a feeling of how that car will handle or perform... The scripted Dealership and Salesman routed drives are a joke. If they don’t want to let you drive it to experience what the car is like before you commit to a deal or lay down your $$$$ - then walk.

Best of luck and if you land a GT350, post your update!

Last edited: