I cheated , mine are mostly silver but have matted blackish gray accents, lol
IMG_0264.JPG
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
This thread has nothing to do with being "worried" about anything or what might influence a buying decision. Since joining this forum I noticed quite a few negative posts about black wheels appearing to come predominantly from older members (as well as disparaging remarks about chrome wheels from younger members). I thought it would be interesting to see how prevalent those sentiments about black wheels actually are among the older guys. I've enjoyed the ideas and opinions expressed, something one would expect in an internet forum.

I don't think I, or any older gentleman posting in this thread, can qualify as a granny grabber. It seems like a rather "idiotic" question. :-)
I am an older gentleman (or at least man), though not quite a senior yet, and I don't have 3 or 4 posts a week asking what seniors do or like. It makes it sound like you are cruising the old folks home for golden girls.

And then you have the whole, please tell me what to do/make my desisions for me thing going on. But that is pretty common on car forums, thought I personally don't get it. I make my own fashion/what looks good choices and don't care much what others think about them.

This sounds a bit nasty, but I don't mean it that way. Buying what YOU like almost always makes you happier than buying what you think someone else likes.

But for wheels my theory is that people like wheels that look like the wheels race cars had when they were growing up. So in the last 20 or so years a lot of racecars have used black wheels, so younger people like black wheels. 40 years ago, most race cars had silver or gold wheels or the classic gold center and silver outer rims, so old people often prefer silver and gold wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I am an older gentleman (or at least man), though not quite a senior yet, and I don't have 3 or 4 posts a week asking what seniors do or like. It makes it sound like you are cruising the old folks home for golden girls.

And then you have the whole, please tell me what to do/make my desisions for me thing going on. But that is pretty common on car forums, thought I personally don't get it. I make my own fashion/what looks good choices and don't care much what others think about them.

This sounds a bit nasty, but I don't mean it that way. Buying what YOU like almost always makes you happier than buying what you think someone else likes.

But for wheels my theory is that people like wheels that look like the wheels race cars had when they were growing up. So in the last 20 or so years a lot of racecars have used black wheels, so younger people like black wheels. 40 years ago, most race cars had silver or gold wheels or the classic gold center and silver outer rims, so old people often prefer silver and gold wheels.
For context, there was a thread about senior Mustang GT owners and in it there was discussion about having a separate folder for seniors. Someone even made a request to the admins in this forum for it. Even though no folder was set up, I started 3 threads targeting questions to seniors (3 total, not 3 per week).

Again, nothing about these threads has to do with asking people to tell me what to do or make a decision for me. But the last paragraph of your post is on topic. Thank you.

Sponsored

WARDCLEAVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustand GT Premium, 2016 Nissan Truck
YTY.jpg

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
49 and happy with BLACK wheels.

20190827-112249-2.jpg

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Well, I'm only 40 and love my PP1 wheels, however the brake dust from the stock pads on them are horrible. I purchased the power stop pads but have not put them on yet. I did however try the turtle wax Ice seal and shine on them after doing the car. What a difference that alone has made for the wheels staying clean and the brake dust not sticking. I only sprayed it on the micro fiber and rub it on then right back off with a clean one. But I love the black wheels on my oxford white.

Sponsored

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Naturally, after I came out earlier in this thread expressing my dislike for black wheels, I ended up with this beauty. I'm still planning on putting my graphite gray wheels onto it, but I'll wear these Michelins out first.
20190828_121819.jpg

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
51 here, and to be honest I like the murdered out look of an all black car. I won't own a black car ever again however, so I live vicariously through others who are paying the price in cleaning said color. For me, I like the aesthetics of subtle contrasts in color when it comes to wheels. I do like the look of the bright silver wheels on my Magnetic GT PP1, but I am leaning towards using those as winter wheels and getting some graphite or even bronze wheels for the summer.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
51 here, and to be honest I like the murdered out look of an all black car. I won't own a black car ever again however, so I live vicariously through others who are paying the price in cleaning said color. For me, I like the aesthetics of subtle contrasts in color when it comes to wheels. I do like the look of the bright silver wheels on my Magnetic GT PP1, but I am leaning towards using those as winter wheels and getting some graphite or even bronze wheels for the summer.
I could see a matt bronze finish wheel on that color in the right style.

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I could see a matt bronze finish wheel on that color in the right style.
That's the issue, finding a style I like. I'm a 5 bar kinda guy (think bullitt wheels), and all I see are split 5 bar and multi angle stuff. Not that they are bad, some are quite nice but they tend to run high $ in bronze.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Check this one out. Order the 20 8.5 front in a +35 and the 20 10.5 in a +45mm offset. Mine fit like a glove though they are silver with polished face. Find a KMC dealer and tell them the offsets and order them. That is the only way I found to get them setup correctly. LMR only sells the black for some reason. And my wheels were on my 14 GT as well, so the bore and lug hole sizes work on the non PP setups. There is also a +28mm for the front of you want them to sit out a little further which may give enough clearance for PP setups. Would need to speak with a KMC dealer however. And they are under $350 a wheel as I recall depending on dealer,

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kmc+district+bronze&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http://tireswheelsdirect.com/Uploads/kmc-district-matte-bronze.jpg
Sponsored