Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Transmission Noise?

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is normal. Even AT have this when you drive in S+ mode. It is Valve related.

OP
OP

baja695

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Updates from this week:

My dealership service technician spoke with a Ford service technician on the issue.

They no longer think it is the throwout bearing, and I was informed today that they now believe it is engine related and will be taking the motor apart. I pressed for further details, but wasn't given any by the service rep.

So far, I am still being assured that all will be covered under warranty.

OP
OP

baja695

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They ordered me a new short block.

Anybody have any idea of the ramifications of this? Ford has been very accommodating thus far, but I have not yet received a root cause analysis.

RideSallyRide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hopefully yours doesnt sound like mine.

What was the problem with yours? Mine makes this same "card in the spokes" kind of sound between 30-40ish mph, regardless of gear or rpm, and the first dealer I've taken it too can't figure it out. Waiting on a regional engineer to be in town, not happy.

Sponsored

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
It sounds like mine, but mine is an automatic. Crap...I'm going to let them know when I get an oil change. Leaves rustling is a great description of what I'm hearing and it's so faint it's hard to get others to hear it.

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
This sounds like the 2K rattle? Is that not what it is. My car sounds just like this. 1st 2nd 1.5-3k rpms are very noticeable. A10

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqcg038ryouricn/0FAE6FA1-E730-440A-B041-1364AB9BAB4D.MOV?dl=0

This is what I’m getting. (It’s at 0:09 seconds in the video). This was a crappy, very faint example I got after finding out my iPhone has decent audio. I’m going to record more tomorrow. But someone gave the analogy of some dry leaves rustling together, and that’s exactly how mine sounds. Again, I’ll try and upload a better version tomorrow.

Sponsored

RideSallyRide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ya, same. Dealer is trying to say it "may be a normal transmission noise". Ehhh, no.

BlackStallion18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 5.0 Mustang w/Performance Package 1
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqcg038ryouricn/0FAE6FA1-E730-440A-B041-1364AB9BAB4D.MOV?dl=0

This is what I’m getting. (It’s at 0:09 seconds in the video). This was a crappy, very faint example I got after finding out my iPhone has decent audio. I’m going to record more tomorrow. But someone gave the analogy of some dry leaves rustling together, and that’s exactly how mine sounds. Again, I’ll try and upload a better version tomorrow.
I have the same exact noises coming from mine. Did you ever get it checked out? I've already had my transmission rebuilt once and had to drive a convertible Ecoboost around for a month while they fixed it lol

RideSallyRide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the same exact noises coming from mine. Did you ever get it checked out? I've already had my transmission rebuilt once and had to drive a convertible Ecoboost around for a month while they fixed it lol
I just had my transmission swapped under warranty. Mine was more a "card in the spokes" kind of noise though. Ford wanted dealer to rebuild it, I told them hell no, I want a new one. They could hear it in the bell housing with chassis ears. Check fluid, lots of metal in it. Picked it up, can still hear the noise. Ugh. Huge fiasco.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
When cold, mine rattles going from 1-2 and 2-3. Pretty annoying.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Does OP have a resolution to this thread? My A10 makes this weird whirring sound only when shifting gears. It sounds like all of the sounds in the videos posted in the thread, like almost an electrical connection. It also does it super loudly if I shift into 2nd gear at like a stop light, etc. I'll try to post a video soon.
Also, sorry about reopening this after so long.
Sponsored