Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Im at 12,500 miles, and mines been rattling like a maraca under light throttle (any gear) since ~1000 miles. I have a few oil samples I've been meaning to send in, but haven't gotten around too it. Car runs fine. I've never seen anything bad in the oil or the filter, and the noise goes away under load or off throttle. It only rattles at a very specific throttle load, so I suspect it's normal. One of these days I'll get around to trying to locate it, but if I had to guess, I'd blame the fuel pump. It's louder inside than out, though I can hear it outside too. Especially if I'm driving beside a building or something.
Did yours do it when cold only or all the time? Same thing for Chris. I am taking my 2019 in next thursday because it has a terrible rattle between 1500-2500 when cold. Sounds like the motor wants to let go until its warm.
Sponsored

chrisscahill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Did yours do it when cold only or all the time? Same thing for Chris. I am taking my 2019 in next thursday because it has a terrible rattle between 1500-2500 when cold. Sounds like the motor wants to let go until its warm.
After putting the ~1000 miles on both engines the noise is heard constantly at that rpm range whether the engine is cold or hot.

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Okay, mine pretty much goes away when warm. If it's just some rattle till everything is warm I am good with it, but my buddy with a 2019 has zero rattle at all, which is what concerns me.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Im at 12,500 miles, and mines been rattling like a maraca under light throttle (any gear) since ~1000 miles. I have a few oil samples I've been meaning to send in, but haven't gotten around too it. Car runs fine. I've never seen anything bad in the oil or the filter, and the noise goes away under load or off throttle. It only rattles at a very specific throttle load, so I suspect it's normal. One of these days I'll get around to trying to locate it, but if I had to guess, I'd blame the fuel pump. It's louder inside than out, though I can hear it outside too. Especially if I'm driving beside a building or something.
4k miles and 2 oil samples into Blackstone have all come back clean. Blower install time this winter.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
All the time. It started around 1k miles and has never stopped. It bothered me at first, and now I'm used too it, though I am still curious about it.

Sponsored

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1

Here is mine from last night. Video is not as good as some of the others I have seen on here, but the diesel sound is pretty clear. I guess, like most of you, I am confused why when I let off the throttle and coast at those RPMs the noise goes away. You would think if it was internal, the noise would be at those RPM's under all conditions, no?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Dealer recommended full engine replacement as there was metal in the oil filter. Replacement engine started exhibiting the same sounds at ~ 1000 miles.
The metal in oil and the sound might be completely unrelated .....

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
The metal in oil and the sound might be completely unrelated .....
I have to think it is. Because allot of these rattle, including the gt350. One thing I have thought of... people say the gt350 rattle tab doesn't apply to us because the pistons are not forged. But their are multiple people pushing 900-1200 who without cracking the block open. For some bot forged pistons we have , they sure as hell sound like they can take a beating

Sponsored

chocoblox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Hey guys,

I got my 2018 GT back in January of last year, and have about 9k miles on it currently. I started getting the 1-1.5k RPM tick after my first oil change at around 5k miles. At the time, the rattle would go away after the engine warmed up.

I just got my 2nd oil change, this time to full synthetic, and now the rattle persists even after the engine is warm. Here’s what it sounds like with 1k RPM after I’ve driven about 5 miles:

It’s hard to keep up with all the ticking/rattle threads, but is this about in line with how everyone else’s sounds?

Thanks!

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Hey guys,

I got my 2018 GT back in January of last year, and have about 9k miles on it currently. I started getting the 1-1.5k RPM tick after my first oil change at around 5k miles. At the time, the rattle would go away after the engine warmed up.

I just got my 2nd oil change, this time to full synthetic, and now the rattle persists even after the engine is warm. Here’s what it sounds like with 1k RPM after I’ve driven about 5 miles:

It’s hard to keep up with all the ticking/rattle threads, but is this about in line with how everyone else’s sounds?

Thanks!
That's not the "rattle" in your vid. It's the typewriter tick and has been deemed "normal" by Ford
Pour in a bottle of ceratec

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey guys,

Thanks!
That is way louder than the occasional typewriter tick. That does not sound good brother. Sorry but I'd definitely have that looked at ASAP.

vcast555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Valentin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hey guys, new here and this is my first post. My car is a Roush RS2 with a blower. I just got this car in late June 2019 and only have 4700 miles on it. It has a build date of April 2018. As many of you have experienced, I too have a rattle coming from my 2018 Mustang 5.0L. It started rattling at close to 2000 miles and has only gotten worse. It used to only rattle during warm up between 200-2700rpm, now it’s gotten louder and more consistent.

I finally took it to the dealership only to have a technician tell me it was “normal clutch chatter”. At the time (about a month ago) when I first took it in, it wasn’t as loud and prominent as it is now. The tech seemed like a good dude and asked me to please bring it back if it got worse. That’s where I am now, I took it back on Tuesday and went for ride with the foreman. He took notice quickly and agreed that there is a noise coming from the motor. He said that it would be a couple of days before he can diagnose it.

I got a call back on Thursday confirming what I thought which was catastrophic engine failure. I spoke with the technician, he said that he drained the oil and found what he thought looked like glitter in the oil. He then took the filter apart and found lots of metal shavings in the cartridge. He basically said that everything would need to be replaced from the supercharger down, but would need approval from Roush before he could order the parts. He couldn’t tell me how long it would take to or couldn’t reassure me that this wouldn’t happen again with the new engine. “Unfortunately this has happened a lot with these cars” he said. Hmm…:headbang:

Here is a video sound clip of what it sounded like:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Count me in to this club. My car sounds like a video posted by sfvjet a while back. Between 2-3K under light load the rattle really comes on. Started after 5K miles. Still on factory fill oil. Worse during "early" driving -it diminishes after being driven for a while. But the motor is always up to temp when it happens.
Sponsored