Paddle shifter relocation/stabilizer

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Does anyone know if someone will be developing s kit to relocate the paddle shifters off of the steering wheel to just brhind it so they do not turn with the wheel. It can become difficult (if not impossible) to shift in sports mode while going through certain turns.
Sponsored

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
After swapping the steering wheel it doesn't look like it would be hard really. I don't think we'll see anything soon though because it is a small demand/large setup product.

You wound need a molded piece to look nice and hold the shifters, the steering wheel back off of a manual, possibly new switches/paddle depending on placement. After all that you have to find the correct wires and splice into them lower in the column so they do not run through the rotating part of the wheel.

Very few people are probably willing to go through all that for column shifters.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
After swapping the steering wheel it doesn't look like it would be hard really. I don't think we'll see anything soon though because it is a small demand/large setup product.

You wound need a molded piece to look nice and hold the shifters, the steering wheel back off of a manual, possibly new switches/paddle depending on placement. After all that you have to find the correct wires and splice into them lower in the column so they do not run through the rotating part of the wheel.

Very few people are probably willing to go through all that for column shifters.
Thanks...I know it would be a tough modification...but Ford really dropped the ball on this. You really think no one will take up the charge to develop a kit for this? For those of us who have automatics and want to use the paddle shifters, I am sure there is a market out there...even if there is no shifter-relocation kit developed....is someone at least developing replacement paddle shifters for these cars?

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
Paddle shifting

When I turn left I use my left hand to shift, when turning right I use my right hand to shift, knowing were the + shifting is at all times. A quick look at the steering wheel is located. I keep my 2015 mustang in sport mode never using the drive mode.:gossip:

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
When I turn left I use my left hand to shift, when turning right I use my right hand to shift, knowing were the + shifting is at all times. A quick look at the steering wheel is located. I keep my 2015 mustang in sport mode never using the drive mode.:gossip:
Thing is...I live out here in Los Angeles where are actually a couple of challenging canyon drives (decker canyon and "the snake" comes to my mind) that I love to do in sports mode, but with the fast and sometimes very sharp turns, if you take your eyes off the road even for a split second...you can kiss you and your car goodbye.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Don't want to be smartA$$ here, but other members have mentioned/suggested (down)shifting before entering a turn.

Anyway, I agree that it would be nice to be able to find shifter paddles all the time (including during turns, b/c you never know when/where you might need it).

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Ok...guess I will wait and see if anyone dares take up the challenge I have thrown down....now on a similar line of questioning...anyone developing different paddle shifters or paddle shifter covers that could go over what comes with the car (the plastic ones are a let down in regards to quality).

ecomike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Hey! I know this is an old thread, but have you found anything? I’m looking to do the same with mine and I’ve been racking my head for days trying to figure out a way to do this.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Damn...you really dug up this thread from the grave. And as far as I know that would be a no.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread, but I understand why the question was asked. This is the first car I've owned with paddle shifters. When I first started using them I quickly found myself wanting another way to shift while the wheel was turned. Now that I've had the car over a year I've learned to make do, but it would be a nice feature.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Blast from the past. :) Now that I have had the car for 4 years, I have gotten used to the shifters in where they are and how to shift while turning. I will admit having paddle shifter extensions is VERY helpful.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Blast from the past. :) Now that I have had the car for 4 years, I have gotten used to the shifters in where they are and how to shift while turning. I will admit having paddle shifter extensions is VERY helpful.
Maybe I'll look into those. Did you find extensions that look decent?