work ethic

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
so im just gonna rant. i am 28 a male and a nurse. idk if that makes any difference whatsoever but holy smokes the lack of work ethic these days from people everywhere is ridiculous. everyone wants something but no one wants to work for it. ive got techs complaining about having to do this or that. nurses complaining about their assignments, floor nurses complaining about admitting patients, everyone always wanting to leave early and no one actually wants to work. its gotten so annoying that i just stop responding to people and if im blessed to work around people who actually have some kind of work ethic its shocking and i find myself constantly thanking them for simply doing their jobs. im not sure where we went wrong but this is getting out of hand and it doesnt just seem to be in healthcare. ive had people/coworkers/managers talk about how i do such a good job and im really not trying to toot my own horn but all i do is my job. i dont think i go above or beyond excessively, but i do do what needs to be done and for that alone i get tons of praise. is this a newer thing or did i just finally open my eyeballs? rant over/
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Work ethic seems to be a thing of the past as time passes, but it sounds to me like a few people you work with got into the wrong field.

Or, as is increasingly the case, they're just a bunch of whiners in general.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I think a lot of the issue is the younger generations put a high value on time off. We've got two young guys here who are taking Friday off to.... play the latest version of Call of Duty or whatever game is coming out. They said "we have vacation days, and we're using them." They come in, do their work, and leave. They don't "bring work home with them". They don't put work first. Work is something that they have to do, but it doesn't define who they are. I have been fortunate, if you want to see it that way, that I've been able to put work first. My wife worked for the school district and was able to be available when needed for the boys while I worked. Looking back, I wish I would have been a little more like this younger generation. I work and work and advance (although, where I work, there's really no where to advance to, small family owned company) and make pretty decent money, but I've missed out on a lot. I'm trying to change my ways a little and take time off not only for important things, but for fun / silly things. I don't think anyone looks back and says, "Gee, I wish I would've gone to work more"

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Every time I come across one of these people who seems to be living well despite their gutter-level work ethic, I figure I must be doing it wrong, or they've found the correct behind to smooch.

OP
OP

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i dont have any issue with people taking time off. if you have earned it you should be able to use it for whatever you want. if you wanna take vacation to play games you should be able to do that. what i get annoyed about is the lack of work ethic while at work. like i said im a nurse so when i leave the hospital i leave my work behind. but while at work you should be doing work. if they expected you to be lazy or it to be easy they would have called it something else. i think the younger generation def has a different view on working but the lack of work ethic is not just the younger people

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Work life balance is a big struggle for some people. I’m still trying to master it. I don’t have a family yet, but I do feel I’ve lost some valuable paid time off to go travel and explore the world because I “had to stuff to finish”. Delegating and perspective of what’s important in life has helped me a lot. I don’t feel bad for taking a random day off or several vacations throughout the year. I bust my ass but also have burnt myself out a few times doing things for someone else’s benefit.

I’m a millenial and also agree, work ethic is a rarity. I’ve gotten better about reading people in interviews and asking questions that require an engagement and give you some leverage to see if people have a few beans in their skull before you ever extend an offer. I’ve seen and heard some interesting things over the past couple years.

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
I was given some good advice upon entering the workforce full time Circa early 90s. I was told I need to do two things to be a superstar and be very successful in the workplace.

1) Show up on time with my shoes tied everyday.

2) Do something, anything while I was there.

The explanation was simple. If I followed rule number 1 I immediately had 1/2 the place beat out because 1/2 the place is either out sick or running late. Rule number two addresses those that did show up spent more time complaining and making excuses why something couldn’t be done than it took to do it.

These two simple rules to being a superstar still hold true today. Don’t believe there was ever any work ethic back in the day. Utter nonsense.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
People have always been lazy. In the last 15 years though it HAS gotten worse, and there are two main reasons for that.

a) Too many kids going to college that have no place there, expecting to graduate with worthless degrees and inherit an easy job that will pay them well. They don't work hard to succeed, so they don't get paid well, and that makes them even less likely to work hard because they think they're some kind of victim of the system instead of their own laziness.

b) Technology and social media. The amount of distraction that people have these days is astronomical, no wonder it's hard for them to focus on their actual JOB. Employers banning phones completely is thought to be draconian, but that's often the only way. Normal people cannot self-regulate or manage their own time effectively. Couple that with the fact that the technological distraction is often centered around social media, where all these kids see are independently wealthy "influencers" doing everything but working and living this amazing artificial lifestyle, then once they snap back to reality and have to do their jobs they feel like they world has dealt them some sort of shitty hand, instead of recognizing they have a JOB in AMERICA and that's a huge opportunity for advancement through hard work that most people never even get close to.

This makes me sound like an old man (I'm still in my 30s), but I work in an industry where the work is not sexy - it's difficult, long hours, and riddled with conflict and difficult situations, but it can be lucrative. It takes not only a strong work ethic but backbone and determination, none of which are characteristics fostered by our shitty public schools or coddling universities. As such, finding quality young people for entry level positions - even though we pay quite well - is nigh on impossible. I say this as I rearrange workload assignments around yet another Project Engineer that has quit before finishing a year. You would think offering $60k+ salaries right out of school would be enough to attract the good ones with a strong work ethic, but as time goes on I'm realizing that the size of the carrot doesn't matter, because they just don't exist.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
What
so im just gonna rant. i am 28 a male and a nurse. idk if that makes any difference whatsoever but holy smokes the lack of work ethic these days from people everywhere is ridiculous. everyone wants something but no one wants to work for it. ive got techs complaining about having to do this or that. nurses complaining about their assignments, floor nurses complaining about admitting patients, everyone always wanting to leave early and no one actually wants to work. its gotten so annoying that i just stop responding to people and if im blessed to work around people who actually have some kind of work ethic its shocking and i find myself constantly thanking them for simply doing their jobs. im not sure where we went wrong but this is getting out of hand and it doesnt just seem to be in healthcare. ive had people/coworkers/managers talk about how i do such a good job and im really not trying to toot my own horn but all i do is my job. i dont think i go above or beyond excessively, but i do do what needs to be done and for that alone i get tons of praise. is this a newer thing or did i just finally open my eyeballs? rant over/[/QUOTWhat's shocking is that what you describe is systemic in healthcare.
Unfortunately, the word around my family some of whom are in medicine, is simply this...don't get sick. The healthcare system sucks and a lot of people providing it do not care. It's a miserable existence for those who do put the "care"in healthcare and I feel badly for them. I blame the regulators for allowing it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it's just like any time in the past. Some people are harder workers than others. I know after working myself into a brief hospital stay a few years ago I try hard to take more frequent breaks and I don't work as long of hours or weekends any more. I feel very lucky to have a good job.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Something is definately wrong with the workforce these days when you drive down the road and see large lighted billboards put up by companies like Alcoa and Toyota seeking production and tech positions...$25 to $35 an hour jobs here that nobody wants..I spent many a time applying to companies like this many years ago when I was much younger but never got as lucky as others..Now that I'm in my mid 50s and body worn out they can't find people to do these jobs?..just unreal..

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Gold wing 2020 f-150 pro stock mustang. 2019 Shelby gt 350
I blame the parents or lack of parenting. Parents don’t even act like parents anymore. they have kids but haven’t given up wanting to go out and party. they let the kids raise themselves. Give them a cell phone at five years old, an a video game and they think they’ve done a good job.
I learned my work ethic from my parents and my grandparents. City manager told me one time people don’t even know how to work.
People nowadays and I sound like my parents, have no desire or want for something more something better. I wanted a car when I was young so
I worked and saved. I’ve asked people that have worked for me in the past don’t you want a new car don’t you like that new motorcycle, they just kind of shake their heads shrug their shoulders. Their content having nothing I guess. no thought of the future. I’m worried about America.
Sponsored