Sponsored

Make is louder or make it lighter?

Five_Point_OHHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My next step was going for LT headers but I’m wondering 1. What kind of power can I expect 2.how much louder will it be? (Currently have x pipe and borla exhaust). I love the way it sounds now (a little louder would be nice) but my friend has a full corsa setup on a charger and it’s PAINFULLY loud. Was also considering mods to lighten up the car instead.

thoughts?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My next step was going for LT headers but I’m wondering 1. What kind of power can I expect 2.how much louder will it be? (Currently have x pipe and borla exhaust). I love the way it sounds now (a little louder would be nice) but my friend has a full corsa setup on a charger and it’s PAINFULLY loud. Was also considering mods to lighten up the car instead.

thoughts?
It will be much louder and tone will change significantly.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue

thoughts?
Jersey? you have a smog check problem -long tubes won’t pass . You could simply do what I and many others do and get a resonator delete pipe either H or X pipe it will add tone and volume and lighten your car something like 10 or 15 pounds

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Keep the cats and itll sound mean. Remove the cats and itll sound like your friends. Making a performance car lighter always makes sense.

OP
OP
Five_Point_OHHH

Five_Point_OHHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have the resonator delete, I’m just wondering if the LTH will add gains besides noise or if it’s better spent elsewhere?

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You'll gain power from the LTs.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I have the resonator delete, I’m just wondering if the LTH will add gains besides noise or if it’s better spent elsewhere?

Like the beast says... it'll gain power by going LTHs, but the sound will be bananas without a resonator and if you have high flow cats or you are catless.

I can't imagine you being able to shed a hundred pounds or more off this car right? If not, LTHs would be an option. E85 as well.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Go for the E85 with NGAUGE first before you do anything! More bang for the buck than anything else.

OP
OP
Five_Point_OHHH

Five_Point_OHHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Like the beast says... it'll gain power by going LTHs, but the sound will be bananas without a resonator and if you have high flow cats or you are catless.

I can't imagine you being able to shed a hundred pounds or more off this car right? If not, LTHs would be an option. E85 as well.
I was considering these for lightening the load:

rear seat delete
lightweight bucket seats
aluminum driveshaft
I already have aftermarket wheels

I think that could save me ~50 lb or more

My two issues with the LTH is inspection and (less so) neighbors

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I was considering these for lightening the load:

rear seat delete
lightweight bucket seats
aluminum driveshaft
I already have aftermarket wheels

I think that could save me ~50 lb or more

My two issues with the LTH is inspection and (less so) neighbors
Unless you have a full suspension done, drag radials, front runners, E85 tune and long tubes, none of the weight savings stuff makes any sense as far as performance gained from dollars spent. All of what you've listed above should be last items on a very long list of performance improvements. I'll say it another way...shedding 100 lbs of unsprung weight off any car will quicken it by roughly .10 down the 1320...so dropping 50 lbs off these cars makes for truly meaningless better times if you have other performance parts to address first. .10 is a rounding error from run to run even if your car is dead on consistent.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Five_Point_OHHH

Five_Point_OHHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Unless you have a full suspension done, drag radials, front runners, E85 tune and long tubes, none of the weight savings stuff makes any sense as far as performance gained from dollars spent. All of what you've listed above should be last items on a very long list of performance improvements. I'll say it another way...shedding 100 lbs of unsprung weight off any car will quicken it by roughly .10 down the 1320...so dropping 50 lbs off these cars makes for truly meaningless better times if you have other performance parts to address first. .10 is a rounding error from run to run even if your car is dead on consistent.
Valid points and appreciate it, although I'm not planning on dragging the car, plan is to track it

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Complete your goals simultaneously! Add the longtube headers, remove your rear seats (purchase a rear seat delete when you have the funds), remove spare tire, remove passenger seat, etc.

The weight loss depends on how hard you want to go, and how much money you want to spend.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
  1. LTH gain power with or without a tune. With a tune, folks say it is more than without but I have always wondered if it the change is the same amount you gain when you add LTH without a tune. From what I saw, LTH add the same amount of power gain with or without a tune.
    1. Basically, if you put on LTH without a tune, you gain (for example) 20 WHP. When you do a tune without LTH you gain (for example) 20 WHP. If you do both, you get around 40 WHP.
  2. I ran LTH with the stock cat back and with an aftermarket catback with an H-pipe. The resonator makes a difference for volume. I don't have a decibel difference but it went from yeah that's loud to wake the dead loud.
  3. Catalytic converters make a difference in volume. I've heard LTH without cats and with cats, they make a difference.
  4. Tone difference was different but it didn't give the low grunt difference that the H-pipe did for some reason. It was more volume than tone IMO.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Weight savings is truly a total waste of money for what you gain...maybe a .10? I'm a full bolt on's build, just need the Circle D stall and a change from my 3.55 gear to a torsion diff with 3.91's...everything else on my car is done, and I won't be doing a rear seat delete...I took my rear seat out, and my crazy loud exhaust that doesn't drone in the interior with the back seats in, sounds horrible and drones like crazy with them out...so I put that 30 lbs back in the car, even though a rear seat is useless in my car, spending $200+ to delete 30 lbs and end up with a super loud drone in the interior that is obnoxious is yet another reason to just put meager weight savings on the shelf and concentrate on the last 2 pieces o my puzzle needed to see a 10 second 1/4 mile time slip (I'm currently super low 11's at this point). But to each his own...if I want my car to go faster, I'll either pony up the bucks for the remaining mods needed or keep my 225 lb ass out of the car and have a 100 lb chick with reaction times as fast as a cat pilot it for me to see that high 10 I've been looking for....weight savings for all but the few who don't mind wasting money chasing weight savings on the margin isn't just for a guy like me who knows I could pull 100 lbs off the car (other than the weight saved from lighter rotors, and my Race Star front runners) won't net me really anything either at the track or on the streets. Screw up a launch and that can cost ya 1/2 a second....so why try to spend a bunch of cash just to maybe get a .10th gain? Makes no sense to me...

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
  1. LTH gain power with or without a tune. With a tune, folks say it is more than without but I have always wondered if it the change is the same amount you gain when you add LTH without a tune. From what I saw, LTH add the same amount of power gain with or without a tune.
    1. Basically, if you put on LTH without a tune, you gain (for example) 20 WHP. When you do a tune without LTH you gain (for example) 20 WHP. If you do both, you get around 40 WHP.
  2. I ran LTH with the stock cat back and with an aftermarket catback with an H-pipe. The resonator makes a difference for volume. I don't have a decibel difference but it went from yeah that's loud to wake the dead loud.
  3. Catalytic converters make a difference in volume. I've heard LTH without cats and with cats, they make a difference.
  4. Tone difference was different but it didn't give the low grunt difference that the H-pipe did for some reason. It was more volume than tone IMO.
I agree with all this 100%. I picked up 25 whp on E85 tuning after the revision file and data logging it with my catless lt's...and the sound is ear splitting, it took me a while to get used to the sound difference! The first time I got on it, I backed off, thought the engine was about to come apart it sounded so aggressive and different. I wouldn't do catted lt's, catted lt's are a waste of time and money if you ask me.
Sponsored