Sponsored

Tire pressure for winter storage? -40 C*

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Out of curiosity, what does the tire pressure go down to during the coldest times during storage at that temp?
Never checked. Never had any flat spots on my tires in the spring doing it this way.

Depending how far North you are in Ontario it could get -40C. I've seen -35 just North of Toronto.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Build a bonfire under each tire. By my math, it’s cold enough the tires will stay a balmy 70*.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Modern radial tires do not flat spot. There is no point putting it on jacks stands either. If you are concerned about the tire pressure dropping, just refill it lol

Do you think the dealerships that let the cars sit out for months during the winter do any sort of prep? You will be fine.

Last edited:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Modern radial tires do not flat spot. There is no point putting it on jacks stands either. If you are concerned about the tire pressure dropping, just refill it lol

Do you think the dealerships that let the cars sit out for months during the winter do any sort of prep? You will be fine.
I've seen our lovely infamous PZeros do this on a coworkers Challenger. Not sure about Michelin PS4S's or better tires do it.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
If you have summer tires id just keep them and the wheels stored indoors if it was getting to -40..

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’d be more concerned about the prolonged cold causing cracking in that type of rubber compound.

Summer tires are meant for summer heat. Sure you can run them through a mild winter but we all know that means poor traction.

oldirtysturdy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 MT82

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
PV=nRT...it's the law!
The ideal gas law, that is. Assuming V, n and R are constant, pressure varies with temp. I would just check P a few times and adjust it if needed. This will also help find if there is a leak, need to keep n constant, lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

Last edited:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I usually bump my tires up about 5 psi when I store my cars. I've never had any flat spot issues or cracking even when I had summer only P-Zero's on my Camaro SS before the GT. I put vinyl tarps on the concrete of my garage floor to keep the moisture away from the bottom of the car & square pieces of plywood under each wheel. OP it will be fine. And only ambient temperature is "felt" by a car wind chill is not a factor for them.
Sponsored