Sponsored

How many winter drivers

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
This is my sixth stang. I've driven all of them as DD. Sure there are a few days I won't drive in the winter snow, but mostly only if we get 5 or more inches.
Then I wait until the streets are plowed somewhat.
Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I got my mustang last spring so it hasn't seen winter yet but it's my only car so I plan to drive it all winter. I just ordered a set of wheels with winter tires.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
100_0499.jpg
Not my first rodeo, SE AZ right there. I went to work, a foot of snow to drive through, hour later power goes off. Snow on the car is the 3 hours it was outside, Snow gone the next day. TaDa!

No snow on the opposite (this) side of the state.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Its my only car so I drive it in the winter. If it snows I try not to go out till its plowed but they are usually pretty quick around here.

Haffl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Your Bullitt looks awesome!

Count me in! New Mustang owner and it's my year round daily driver. I picked up a 2019 GT A10 w/PP1 on July 20th of this year. I purchased a set of 19" OEM Boss 302 wheels with Pirelli Sottozero II winter performance tires. Cost me $2,500 from Tire Rack...not cheap but I'm taking no chances with my safety.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
h46079F65.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I drove my 2011 V6, 2011 GT and 2015 GT through the winter daily. When I bought the 2016 GT350 I decided to try to avoid the worst salt and slush. Any of our cars can easily drive through the winter - especially if you invest in a good set of tires (I had some Blizzaks).

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
NJ here - every Mustang I’ve owned has been driven daily 24/7/365 through ALL seasons.

Even my 94 Cobra was driven in the winter and most can’t even tell that car was a daily, as it looks as new as my 2018.

Tips for S550 newbie winter drivers:
1) Tires - must have decent tires, even if they are “summer only”, if you’re driving on bald ass tires you’re screwed no matter what type of tire you have on the car. Winter tires help no doubt, but I’ve driven in winter without issues with performance tires that had a good amount of tread.

2) Weight - no I don’t mean pick up a fat girl and drive around for traction... You want a full tank of gas and get yourself (3) 50 or 75lb bags of kitty litter or rock salt. The weight over the rear wheels will be beneficial and if you get stuck, you can use the product to get some traction. If you still have the product at end of season, either keep and store or donate for a tax write off.

3) Common Sense - don’t be the moron WOTing it from a stop light on a snow/ice covered road OR think that you’re invincible and can still drive 65+ on the straights and take on/off ramps or curves at 50+ in bad weather. The #1 cause of Mustang demise is lack of common sense (well, not just in bad weather for some).

4) If owning a Manual trans car, at a dead stop start out in 2nd gear rather than 1st. It will help with initial traction and the gear ratio will be more forgiving when it comes to tire slippage. Feather the clutch and be light on the go pedal and the car will pull from a start on snow covered road without much issue.

5) Keep a small shovel in trunk in the event you do get stuck. It comes in handy for digging out rear wheels when you’re out and about by yourself.

6) Keep windshield washer full of proper product that will still be fluid when below 30*. Too many people just use regular washer fluid and then bitch when the bottle is frozen and the windshield can’t be cleaned.

7) Keep the defrosters on both the front and rear glass the entire time your driving - it will help keep the glass warm and from snow/ice accumulating.

8) Use the ”Snow” mode on the S550 - it does help. It’s still not idiot proof and still won’t mattwr if you have bald tires - BUT it’s an added driver aid that does help to control (reduce) the power of the car in snow/ice conditions.

9) Insurance Policy - make sure it’s up to date, current with payment schedule and you know the policy fine print as far as what it NOT covered.

10) DISTANCE and SPACE - Distance for the guy/gal in front of you and Space to your left and right in the event someone in those lanes starts sliding out of their lane (or they can’t stop). You want to do this because it’s not so much about if you can handle your own car - it’s about the others around you who that can’t handle theirs. If folks coming up behind you want to pass, LET THEM. Don’t risk your ride for the sake of trying to prove that you can get to your destination faster - because it just never ends well....

11) Common Sense - yep, can’t stress it enough....

Last edited:

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Yea... Moved south just for that reason. Only time I want to see snow is when I go visit. Been there done that, you all enjoy!
At least we don't have to worry about an alligator running out in front of us!

JCF204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F-350
Drive mine all year as well in Colorado. More snow coming this week!

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'll take the car out in the winter, but I avoid snow at all costs. I'll also avoid driving the car when the roads are salted and wet.

I'm fortunate enough to have a beater Civic, so I use that most of the time.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Blizzaks going on in a few weeks, always use rain/snow mode if roads are wet/snow covered.
Sponsored