GT vs. EB high performance for city driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I guess I've driven too many geared low, turbo cars in my recent past. My highly tuned Audi TTS got me spoiled with such effortless pull in any gear. I got in the GT (15-16) MY and just expected to watch out when I hit the gas or I'm gonna be in the weeds. My wife was the same. She was afraid of it but then said my Infiniti is faster then that after test driving. I was just so disappointed. Yes, I first bought the ecoboost because it was cheaper and a sideways move from my higher mileage Audi that I was getting very afraid of high cost of repairs until my daughter would be out of college and I was still competitively roadracing. But after 2 years I became pretty impressed with the eco and figured its time for the GT. I sold off all my Roadrace stuff and dirtbike and had about 10000 in my pocket. I just couldn't get over the disappointing test drive of a stock GT "big" v8 being sluggish until I got it screaming after I sold off all my other toys. So the thing is I want to want a GT but in stock form its just not that thrilling cruising around. Believe me the Ecoboost has its boring parts too especially if running hard. But truth be told its pretty damn quick driving around town driving a little sporty. So I plan to get a GT in about a year when no college and I'm not worried about a warranty with a used GT I can tune and mod away. Or either maybe an 18+ A10 will make me content since I haven't driven one of those yet.

And my Boss was making fun of me saying the GT torque wasnt that great. Then he test drove one too and called me up and said he was so shocked also. He even asked them if it was in some kind of de-tuned transportation mode. He loved everything about the PP2 except the power and didn't want to throw the warranty out to get it tuned.
Holy toledo this post is so wacky! You do know if you get a Ford warrantied SC the game is over for any EB comparisons right? Just stop with the tuned this and tuned that when comparing to a stock 5.0 Nothing is dumber than comparing a tuned car with a stock one. Anyone driving a PP1 or PP2 GT after driving a stock EB ans says the GT is lacking torque should hand in their drivers licence for a card that simply says "skippy".
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The stock V8 map is fairly lame. I could say the same thing of the factory EB map as well. Ford Perf really needs to get off their ass and release a factory-supported map for the 18+ GT. Once I put the Unleashed tune on the EB it became a "holy sh*t" car north of 4500RPM and large throttle, but more importantly the throttle response below 4 grand also improved significantly. The GT after an Unleashed tune also woke up. No, it doesn't have a 'hit' like an EB by any stretch, as that would be out of character.

I think folks who think the GT feels "slow" aren't paying close attention to just how fast they are going. The human brain has a major blind spot in the absence of 'jolts' - IOW the species perceive steady acceleration poorly. I have to routinely get out of the throttle when driving the V8s because my senses aren't yelling at me that sane speeds were left behind long since. The EB is very audible while it's thrashing about which gives sensory feedback that you're "haulin" even if you're actually not. My level 1 tuned GTI is like the V8 because it's so quiet and the torque so effortless (esp. for a 4-banger) that i had to set the overspeed chime down to 70 to make sure I stay out of jail. But like any good turbo I4, you can clearly tell the engine is "on the pipe" when passing 3000 RPM. The EB doesn't have that same change in power gradient even after the tune (except >4500 when the turbo *really* kicks in).

The other mental difficulty people have is that since the I4 is thrashing, one tends to shift at around 35-4500 when driving "sporty". On the Gen3 Coyote, 3000 RPM is where the fun is just starting and shifting at 5000 (and higher) is something one has to condition themselves to do. I ride motorcycles so have no mental block against 3000 or 3500 RPM being the floor of my operating range. I don't drive A10 so don't know how badly it interferes with keeping the V8 on the boil.

Right, but the long-gone OP was asking about 'city' driving. For that I would give the edge to the EB because you'll be under 3500RPM almost all the time and it'll *feel* faster than the GT even though it's really not.
You nailed it. I took a friend of mine for a ride in my GT Friday night. This guy has built tons of big block and small block chevy's. He's had 8 and 9 second track cars. We rode motorcycles together for years (sport bikes). He didn't seem impressed with the GT....until he glanced over at the speedometer. The change in his reaction was almost comical.

We were merging onto a 4 lane Interstate where the speed limit is 70. It was later at night, and this part of this interstate has very little traffic outside of big holiday travel weekend or normal commuting hours. The on ramp itself starts out straight, takes a hard, FLAT turn and there's not a lot of breakdown room to actually merge. In fact, there's also another exit ramp right there - and I tend to avoid this interchange when possible because of it jamming up with people trying to merge slowly - no room - and people trying to exit - no room. I was turning pretty low RPMs in 3rd gear as we took the hard turn. As it straightened I just rolled into the throttle....staying in 3rd.

He told me he was getting ready to say "That's it?" as we merged - until he saw the speedo and realized we were at damn near triple digits and I'd never matted it.

I've had fast cars. I've had fast daily drivers. The GT in a sense is almost like a video game. The tach and the speedo climb, quickly, but the sensation of the car accelerating simply doesn't match what the car itself is actually doing. It's almost as if the acceleration is too 'refined' for lack of a better term.

Honestly I think the biggest reason this entire thread still lives - and the reason some version of this discussion / comparison constantly comes up - is that many of the people who drive EB's are coming from entirely different types of vehicles. Meaning - the butt dyno is actually telling them the exact opposite of what's happening. I've had cars that FELT REALLY fast. And then was shocked by the actual performance numbers at the track they put up.

Honestly it's the same reason that devices like the Pedal Commander (or whatever it's called) are so popular with some people. They swear they've added all this power and trying to explain to them they added zero power is almost a losing battle.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Holy toledo this post is so wacky! You do know if you get a Ford warrantied SC the game is over for any EB comparisons right? Just stop with the tuned this and tuned that when comparing to a stock 5.0 Nothing is dumber than comparing a tuned car with a stock one. Anyone driving a PP1 or PP2 GT after driving a stock EB ans says the GT is lacking torque should hand in their drivers licence for a card that simply says "skippy".
Well of course the SC will blow anything away. And I do have hopes that I might go down that road in the near future. But spending 10000 more for the GT and then about another 10000 for the SC isn't in my plans at this point. And nothing "dumb" about comparing tuned vs stock in my context. I was just stating because I was used to the tuned Audi torque is why maybe the stock GT didn't live up to what I was expecting. I'm hoping a tuned GT will help a lot. It sure helped my 05 GT a lot. I have not driven a PP2 or an 18+ GT yet only PP1 and base and preimum 15-16 Gt's. All were stock and sorry to say but they were not that strong down low.

I could certainly see the GT was a fast car like mentioned but my main goal is a effortless quick car. We all agree the Gt like to be in the revs and that means trouble speed in 3rd already. I'm not concerned with high speed any more since I'm done with track racing. I want a quick car at lower speeds instead of a fast car at high speeds. I think changing the rear gears will also help with my goal and of course FI.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hoping a tuned GT will help a lot. It sure helped my 05 GT a lot.
Highly subjective on your definition of a "lot". I am very happy with the improvement even the canned 93 tune did to the '19 GT.
I have not driven a PP2 or an 18+ GT yet only PP1 and base and preimum 15-16 Gt's.
Then you're in for a pleasant surprise.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Well of course the SC will blow anything away. And I do have hopes that I might go down that road in the near future. But spending 10000 more for the GT and then about another 10000 for the SC isn't in my plans at this point. And nothing "dumb" about comparing tuned vs stock in my context. I was just stating because I was used to the tuned Audi torque is why maybe the stock GT didn't live up to what I was expecting. I'm hoping a tuned GT will help a lot. It sure helped my 05 GT a lot. I have not driven a PP2 or an 18+ GT yet only PP1 and base and preimum 15-16 Gt's. All were stock and sorry to say but they were not that strong down low.

I could certainly see the GT was a fast car like mentioned but my main goal is a effortless quick car. We all agree the Gt like to be in the revs and that means trouble speed in 3rd already. I'm not concerned with high speed any more since I'm done with track racing. I want a quick car at lower speeds instead of a fast car at high speeds. I think changing the rear gears will also help with my goal and of course FI.
Not really sure you understand how the GT's work. They are fast down low, maybe not like a Hellcat, but they are certainly fast. Yes, comparing a tuned car to non-tuned is dumb all day long since you can always tune the other car. Also, are you really sure your TT was faster down low or just felt faster?

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I want a quick car at lower speeds instead of a fast car at high speeds.
Since sound doesn't seem to be an issue for you, you seem like a Tesla guy to me. You want down low torque without effort or sound, you can't beat electric. I love electric go karts, but I wouldn't have a Tesla to drive on the streets. The sound of a V8 is just oh so pleasing to me.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
The biggest thing will depend on you and your tastes.

Before my current, my first mustang was a 2010 GT and I bought it on the not a true mustang unless its a V8 line of thinking. Before that, all my cars were imports. I enjoyed the car for the time I owned it but when it came time to upgrade, after driving both, I simply decided that I didn't need it.

I prefer to spend my time on swirly roads or mountain passes than the drag strip and the decreased weight in the front just feels better for "me" especially because mine came optioned with magneride. The A10 is the money maker in these cars. While the factory parameters leave some to be desired, a 93 octane tune will wake the car up and you can get one from Ford to keep your warranty in tact. I just recently swapped out the stock exhaust for a quad tip roush system and I think it sounds fine. Top it off with the fact that I just made a 430 mile trip without stopping for gas and my insurance dropped to $70 a month to insure, I personally have no desire to own a GT.

You're never going to sound like a V8. Even with the active exhaust. If that's what you're chasing, then get a GT.
If you're wanting to take it to the drag strip or do roll races on the highway, get a GT.

If can get over that and the stigma of owning a non-V8 mustang, then you look into the i4 engine and make the best decision for your lifestyle.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The biggest thing will depend on you and your tastes.

Before my current, my first mustang was a 2010 GT and I bought it on the not a true mustang unless its a V8 line of thinking. Before that, all my cars were imports. I enjoyed the car for the time I owned it but when it came time to upgrade, after driving both, I simply decided that I didn't need it.

I prefer to spend my time on swirly roads or mountain passes than the drag strip and the decreased weight in the front just feels better for "me" especially because mine came optioned with magneride. The A10 is the money maker in these cars. While the factory parameters leave some to be desired, a 93 octane tune will wake the car up and you can get one from Ford to keep your warranty in tact. I just recently swapped out the stock exhaust for a quad tip roush system and I think it sounds fine. Top it off with the fact that I just made a 430 mile trip without stopping for gas and my insurance dropped to $70 a month to insure, I personally have no desire to own a GT.

You're never going to sound like a V8. Even with the active exhaust. If that's what you're chasing, then get a GT.
If you're wanting to take it to the drag strip or do roll races on the highway, get a GT.

If can get over that and the stigma of owning a non-V8 mustang, then you look into the i4 engine and make the best decision for your lifestyle.
Ok your a bit late to the "get what you want" party. No one is saying don't buy what you want. That is true in anything, get what you want and what you can afford. Just don't try to say a EB is better in performance than a GT as it is not in almost any conceivable way. The OP of this thread (who has abandoned it) was claiming that in city driving a EB is better than a GT. That is not the case, if anything they are equal as you really can't use all of the power of either without looking like an ass or having Five-O coming for you. At that rate anything with wheels is going to give you the same "thrill".

So I think it is agreed that you get what you want and be happy with it, but don't try to make something better than it is, just because you can.

Lastly. The EB is a fine implementation of a turbo engine in a Mustang and I have no doubt you can find ways to enjoy it.....I am pretty darn sure you can enhance that fun with a GT unless your expectations are not looking for the best performance. In some ways a GT350 will be better than a GT as well as a SC GT will be better than a GT350 in most ways....etc etc etc.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Ok your a bit late to the "get what you want" party. No one is saying don't buy what you want. That is true in anything, get what you want and what you can afford. Just don't try to say a EB is better in performance than a GT as it is not in almost any conceivable way. The OP of this thread (who has abandoned it) was claiming that in city driving a EB is better than a GT. That is not the case, if anything they are equal as you really can't use all of the power of either without looking like an ass or having Five-O coming for you. At that rate anything with wheels is going to give you the same "thrill".

So I think it is agreed that you get what you want and be happy with it, but don't try to make something better than it is, just because you can.

Lastly. The EB is a fine implementation of a turbo engine in a Mustang and I have no doubt you can find ways to enjoy it.....I am pretty darn sure you can enhance that fun with a GT unless your expectations are not looking for the best performance. In some ways a GT350 will be better than a GT as well as a SC GT will be better than a GT350 in most ways....etc etc etc.
The only thing that could've even been remotely interpreted that way was the statement of it being lighter in the front (which it is) and that feels better "to me" on the roads that I drive.

Nowhere in my post did I claim an Ecoboost was a better performance vehicle than a GT and I fail to see the value of you trying to 1up everything I said with "but a GT can do better."

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So what did we figure out? Which one is better got city driving?

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Since sound doesn't seem to be an issue for you, you seem like a Tesla guy to me. You want down low torque without effort or sound, you can't beat electric. I love electric go karts, but I wouldn't have a Tesla to drive on the streets. The sound of a V8 is just oh so pleasing to me.
That is pretty much the power delivery I am looking for packaged in a Mustang and preferably a v8 or twin turbo v6. Turbo engines as small 4cyl can do that now better the n/a motors. I actually really enjoy and crave a good rubble of a V8 short shifting around. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the sound of the coyote from 5000 to 7500 rpm but don't want everyone in the car or around town wondering who the a-hole is. Since the GT likes to Rev and I would like the power in that range I would want quiet exhaust if I would drive in the 4000 range a lot. Or the active exhaust sounds like it might fit the bill.

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
I think we have concluded that if your a part-throttle fan, the ec0boost will scratch that itch, and you should ask your husband to get one for you.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
That is pretty much the power delivery I am looking for packaged in a Mustang and preferably a v8 or twin turbo v6. Turbo engines as small 4cyl can do that now better the n/a motors. I actually really enjoy and crave a good rubble of a V8 short shifting around. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the sound of the coyote from 5000 to 7500 rpm but don't want everyone in the car or around town wondering who the a-hole is. Since the GT likes to Rev and I would like the power in that range I would want quiet exhaust if I would drive in the 4000 range a lot. Or the active exhaust sounds like it might fit the bill.
A-hole? You're giving your townsfolk harmonic bliss. They should be glad it's a v8 revving that high and not the civic with the autozone fart can revved to 7k

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
A-hole? You're giving your townsfolk harmonic bliss. They should be glad it's a v8 revving that high and not the civic with the autozone fart can revved to 7k
Isn't that the truth. I hear plenty of VW's in our area with that sounds screaming around all the time. Now the new thing seems to be young kids are all into Big diesel trucks stinking up the town with clouds of black smoke with exhaust tips the size of trash cans. The one GT I did test drive had at least some kind of mufflers and god did it sounds good running it to red line. That's why I think I would like the active exhaust.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.