AC compressor

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
Hey guys, I suspected my evap core was/is leaking never got it confirmed but regassed twice, however my AC was running dry for a while before I noticed there wasn't any coolant in there.

However the AC compressor is really noisy I've got a video of it (excuse the quality Idk why it isn't in HD) I'm now out of warranty although the garage is aware and logged it in warranty, do I go and ask them to replace the AC compressor or should I wait until the gas escapes again and push the evap core replacement as well as this?

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
It wouldn't run dry - the compressor will not engage if there is insufficient coolant.

It needs a proper investigation to find the leak - especially if it was logged as under warranty

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
It is a popular misconception but there is no coolant in an AC system.

As said the compressor would never engage if the pressure in the system dropped too low.

However the main question the OP needs to ask, is why was the leak never investigated properly originally?

When the OP took the car in with a suspected leak, the garage would have checked standing pressures and they would have seen they were low to have even thought about refilling the system.

Another popular misconception here, AC systems are filled with a liquid not a gas. yes the liquid boils off into a gas in parts of the system, but in most of the system and in the form when filling the system the refrigerant is a liquid.

Anyway as soon as the garage noticed there was low pressure, and suspected a leak, they should by law, investigate and find the leak, it is illegal in every way to refill a system with a known leak.

To have refilled a system with a known leak,..... twice ......, that is just incomprehensible.
Sponsored