Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like that's my next move. I'll update once I've done that. The install video I watched did not perform that step.
Sponsored

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, took another crack at it, and I decided to simply copy the entire APIM ASBUILT from a '17 GT with my same options. The original values were a mix of my old ASBUILT, and other random bits. Probably should have just done that in the first place instead of trusting the eBay seller's guarantee that it was a simple swap. Pretty sure it was the transmission bits that were throwing it off. Now, the GPS is 100% accurate, and I didn't have to touch the antenna. Guess I'll have a spare when it comes in.

Now running Sync 3.4 and everything's working great. Was a good learning experience, and a fun project.

jbostian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Just wanted to say thanks to @HextallS550. I came across a good deal for a screen/apim and was tempted to buy it. Found this thread and read through quite a bit of it and decided to pull the trigger and give the swap a try. I was able to swap from MyFordTouch to Sync 3 without issue this afternoon.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
They are good people, just hope they remember that.

Sponsored

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Is there any benefit to replacing a 2017 APIM with one from a 2019 if you already have NAV?

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Is there any benefit to replacing a 2017 APIM with one from a 2019 if you already have NAV?
Other than ensuring that you get the latest updates and the hardware improvements I guess not.

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like 5pointOh said, a 2019 APIM will basically give you the ability to run Sync 3.3 and above, whereas a 2017 will remain on 3.0.

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Curious if anyone has done a direct APIM swap in a car that already has Sync3/Nav just to get the newer version. Any weird stuff to look out for?

Also PM send to Hextall550 about getting just the 2019 APIM :)

Last edited:

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd imagine it'd be a straight swap, though you'd still need to program it to your car in Forscan unless it came from a car with your exact same options. Since you've already got a Sync 3 APIM, you could probably just copy your current ASBUILT data right over to the new one in Forscan and be done. I'm currently running a 2017 GT ASBUILT config on mine running 3.4, and it's perfect. I couldn't use my old ASBUILT since i came from SYNC 2.

Sponsored

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'd imagine it'd be a straight swap, though you'd still need to program it to your car in Forscan unless it came from a car with your exact same options. Since you've already got a Sync 3 APIM, you could probably just copy your current ASBUILT data right over to the new one in Forscan and be done. I'm currently running a 2017 GT ASBUILT config on mine running 3.4, and it's perfect. I couldn't use my old ASBUILT since i came from SYNC 2.
Cool thanks for that. I kind of assumed the same thing

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
I will confirm what Jo3f1sh says is correct. If you have sync 3 already you can backup your apim module to a file and load it onto the new one

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I will confirm what Jo3f1sh says is correct. If you have sync 3 already you can backup your apim module to a file and load it onto the new one
That should make it a super simple swap. Now to find the part # for a 2019 APIM w/NAV....

charliechupacabra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Question regarding swapping a sync 3 into a 19 base Gt. From my understanding the 19 cars do not require any additional harnesses so would I be able to just swap the apim/screen and bezel from an 18 sync radio and rewrite the as built data and be good to go?

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Question regarding swapping a sync 3 into a 19 base Gt. From my understanding the 19 cars do not require any additional harnesses so would I be able to just swap the apim/screen and bezel from an 18 sync radio and rewrite the as built data and be good to go?
Correct
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.