10R80 Transmission

maxcraig00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Automatic
Hello Guys. Just a quick question here. (2018 mustang gt 10r80)
I am coming on these forums to ask a question about the 10R80 and settle an argument with my friend.
Does anyone know how fast the 10R80 shift times are. He keeps telling me the audi 7 speed shifts way way faster than my car. I am on the other end of the argument I tell him my car shifts either the same or faster than the audi 7 speed

so if anyone has info on shift times for the 10R80 vs the audi 7 speed used in the new audi or the older DCT transmissions please let me know. Thanks
Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I am coming on these forums to ask a question about the 10R80 and settle an argument with my friend.
Does anyone know how fast the 10R80 shift times are. He keeps telling me the audi 7 speed shifts way way faster than my car. I am on the other end of the argument I tell him my car shifts either the same or faster than the audi 7 speed

so if anyone has info on shift times for the 10R80 vs the audi 7 speed used in the new audi or the older DCT transmissions please let me know. Thanks
Stock settings or tuned? My 10R80 stock tuning was absolutely horrible if you ask me...I wouldn't doubt the Audi transmission shifts faster stock vs stock. Have you tried to simply google the answer?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Attachments

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Does he own an Audi?

Do the shift times really matter if the car performs?

Should you maybe find some new friends?

:D

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Which Audi model?

VW's and Audi's use to use(and probably still use) the DSG transmission. Besides maintenance, it's a phenomenal transmission. I believe Audi renamed their side from DSG to S Tronic though. This transmission is capable of consistent 600 millisecond downshifts and up to 8 millisecond upshifts. It has been out a lot longer than the A10 so there is a good chance it has been improved with quicker shift times.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Show your friend this, tell him you’re faster and let he prove otherwise.

Faster and smoother shifts than a DCT. Shifting is controlled by the six clutches, which engage and disengage two at a time to swap cogs swiftly and smoothly. These shifts do not require the torque converter to unlock, which would decrease efficiency. The clutches are controlled by integrated solenoid valves, which respond more quickly than conventional two-piece designs. The system has also minimized the hydraulic passage lengths, which quickens fill times. According to Norris, “With a low 1st gear ratio of 4.696, the torque converter basically aids in a smooth launch, then quickly locks up and stays that way. The transmission can also perform large, multigear downshifts—directly from 10th to 5th, or 9th to 4th—smoothly and rapidly, without jarring.”

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
True story about Audi's vaunted but POS DSG which I had in my S4. It had 2 engine protection modes I hated and feel are inexcusable in a performance car. The first, on fast starts, it would short shift the 2-3 shift by about 2k RPM. Second, and even worse for track, in manual mode it would not hold redline or even within 500 rpm of redline.

After multiple complaints, video proof and dealer visits Audi USA stated all behaviors were normal. All for drivetrain protection. I took a big loss selling that otherwise nice car in less than 6 months, and swore off VAG.

So, I SMH at anyone who thinks VAGs DSG is a performance transmission.

Later, thinking I was being too harsh on VAG I tried the Q5 VDI. We all know how VAG diesels turned out.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
True story about Audi's vaunted but POS DSG which I had in my S4. It had 2 engine protection modes I hated and feel are inexcusable in a performance car. The first, on fast starts, it would short shift the 2-3 shift by about 2k RPM. Second, and even worse for track, in manual mode it would not hold redline or even within 500 rpm of redline.

After multiple complaints, video proof and dealer visits Audi USA stated all behaviors were normal. All for drivetrain protection. I took a big loss selling that otherwise nice car in less than 6 months, and swore off VAG.

So, I SMH at anyone who thinks VAGs DSG is a performance transmission.

Later, thinking I was being too harsh on VAG I tried the Q5 VDI. We all know how VAG diesels turned out.
I believe both the DSG and 10R80 have lawsuits against them. I wouldn't consider either "smooth shifting." But it's a performance car. You didn't mention what year S4.

Both the DSG and 10R80 can be tuned as well.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I believe both the DSG and 10R80 have lawsuits against them. I wouldn't consider either "smooth shifting." But it's a performance car. You didn't mention what year S4.

Not sure I agree - 10r80 shifts in standard mode are seamless in my car.

Dual clutch v torque converter argument will go on forever - pros and cons to both. Some DSG's have appalling reliability (smaller DQ200 I believe) plus Ford have had problems with their powershift boxes on the Focus. I've driven lots of different autos and on balance the 10R80 is the best I have experienced, although I haven't tried a Porsche PDK box which is supposed to be brilliant.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Not sure I agree - 10r80 shifts in standard mode are seamless in my car.

Dual clutch v torque converter argument will go on forever - pros and cons to both. Some DSG's have appalling reliability (smaller DQ200 I believe) plus Ford have had problems with their powershift boxes on the Focus. I've driven lots of different autos and on balance the 10R80 is the best I have experienced, although I haven't tried a Porsche PDK box which is supposed to be brilliant.
I just sold my Porsche with the PDK. It is the best transmission I've ever had, because it's always in the right gear, shifts are firm and feels a lot like a manual. The A10 feels sloppy in comparison. But, I think the difference is just feel. In actual real world performance, there is very little to choose from. When you have 10 gears, it's harder to program what is the "right" gear in all circumstances. The PDK has been around since 2009, so they have had a long time to refine the programming.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I just sold my Porsche with the PDK. It is the best transmission I've ever had, because it's always in the right gear, shifts are firm and feels a lot like a manual. The A10 feels sloppy in comparison. But, I think the difference is just feel. In actual real world performance, there is very little to choose from. When you have 10 gears, it's harder to program what is the "right" gear in all circumstances. The PDK has been around since 2009, so they have had a long time to refine the programming.
Do you have the modes on your car? I like sport mode and I paddle shift 95% of the time. Drag mode is insanely violent but awesome for hooning since you can break the tires loose at 40-50 mph

I am also tuned and have like 0 torque management so its insane.

Drag mode shifts on this car actually accellerate harder than when you are in gear lol, I dont think its even possible to shift better than drag mode it multiplies torque during the shift.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I just had my 2018 A10 reflashed at the dealer with the updated software. Huge improvement in shift quality and no more lunging from reverse to drive. And yes, the drag mode is insane.....just toggle up and hold onto the wheel! YOUTUBE star Stangmode continues to drag race his A10 with no failures after 100+ passes. Pretty impressive!

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase

I didnt have a problem with smooth. I had a problem with DSG not acting like the performance transmission as advertised. Not holding gear near redline is inexcusable. It was a 2013.

Sure, you can flash...and run severe risk of voiding powertrain warranty. Audi's are too fragile to take that chance.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Do you have the modes on your car? I like sport mode and I paddle shift 95% of the time. Drag mode is insanely violent but awesome for hooning since you can break the tires loose at 40-50 mph

I am also tuned and have like 0 torque management so its insane.

Drag mode shifts on this car actually accelerate harder than when you are in gear lol, I dont think its even possible to shift better than drag mode it multiplies torque during the shift.
I have the modes and I use all of them, depending on weather, traffic, how much gas I feel like using, etc. Porsche has launch control and it is extremely effective.
Sponsored