• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@TexasRebel

Thanks I did not know that! I was wrong.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
@tokuzumi

Yes the real difference is low/midrange power. Top end is negligible, which is what people hang their hat on since that's were peak hp occurs and everyone likes to quote hp numbers
Much like how the midrange gains on E85 are very significant, while the top end is just like 30-35whp. These high compression engines like higher octane, especially the 2018+. Going to E85 was a massive jump in performance. I can see how 93 would give you some midrange umph.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
@Briebee72

15-17 have 3/36 warrantys and please state me the law that a car cant have a part fail after warranty. That would make all car companies go out of business.

Come on dont be disingenuous, you know you can pick up a base gt for around 35k. I bought my 16 Premium with 17k miles used for 26k.

You say they test things but how come more time that not all the 15-17 guys with dual climate control are finding there ac crapping out just before or after warranty is up. This whole form is filled with people having random parts fail. They dont check shit, they cant even get the body panels aligned correct on most. They tested the pinto right? Not to mention the billion threads about gen3 motors with jacked up cylinder walls.

You say you "know" like you've studied the internals of this engine or you've actually done some test to show your point is correct. Your "know" just like the people know your arguing with when they say they can feel a difference on premium. Feelings and presumptions that a multi billion dollar company doesnt cut corners is incorrect.

I'm waiting for someone to present some information with data to prove me wrong, and if they do I'd gladly reconsider my position. Your problem is you know everything and are incapable of letting new points of view in. I dont know much and that's why I come here to take in others points of view and review their findings. I dont go off of feelings...
You misunderstand I didn't say there was a law. But there are plenty of cases where mass amounts of cars some as much as 10 years old have giant recalls because of failed parts. This cost a manufacturer million if not billions and they want to avoid it. You think any mass failing of engines down the road warranty or not and the manufacturer would not be responsible? And the warranty is 5/60k so... not sure what to tell you there. As for the rest of your reply. I can say the same exact thing back to you. Prove it outside of a forum said so? You say you are waiting for someone to prove you wrong? Why is the burden of proof on someone else. Can you prove you are right? That is the norm with some car forums prove me wrong yet they have no proof they are right. Its a two way street. Anyway lets end it here and not make this thread about our disagreement. let's just agree to disagree and move on. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So just filled up at Costco for my trip up to Charlotte tomorrow. I really, really thought about putting in 87. The price difference was $0.50 a gallon. For a half tank it would have been under $4.00. Just couldn’t do it. I know all the arguments, blah, blah, blah. 199 posts and I do not think a single persons mind have been changed. If yours has please speak up!

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@Briebee72

Your right I did not post any actual data of my findings as I did not record this a year ago and am not going to drain my tank, swap injectors, flash the stock tune, then datalog and add it to the thread just to prove a point to you. But I did do an actual test and you are basing your opinions on the car didnt feel any different.

Never said the engines going to blow but your introducing extra wear and tear and that was my reason behind using Premium fuel.

Like you I'm done with this argument and people can make up there own minds on what they do with their car.

If anyone has any questions about this or lives near chicago and would like me to show them in person just PM me

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
For those that daily the car I completely understand the additional fuel cost. If using a top-tier rated brand, your car is getting quality fuel. My typical Sunday fill up is only 4 to 6 gallons, so the additional cost for premium is negligible. 87 costs $2.19/gal average and 93 is $2.69. It wasn't long ago I was paying $3.50 per gallon for 87 so in the big scheme of it all $2.69 is a bargain. For our friends on the left coast, costs are drastically higher.

Bottom line: The car will handle 87 to 93 out of the box just fine. The fact that Ford recommends 91 for severe conditions means my car likes that too. So I buy 91 or 93 premium top-tier rated for Lucy.

Edited to add: If you look at the poll at the top of the page, 85% use premium.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
So I recently put in 87 octane from Safeway which I think from research is not a top tier gas. Car ran ok but seemed like it had a cold. I read about Shell and how they use more additives than any other company with a total of I think 6 or 7 compared to the average 3 to 4 detergents. So last night I filled up with their top Nitro V power 91 ( all we have around here). Car seemed to wake up a bit. It feels a tad more responsive and overall cleaner healthier sounding engine. I just wanted to see if there was a difference in my opinion. I will be using Shell from now on even if it is $4.30 a gallon.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So I recently put in 87 octane from Safeway which I think from research is not a top tier gas. Car ran ok but seemed like it had a cold. I read about Shell and how they use more additives than any other company with a total of I think 6 or 7 compared to the average 3 to 4 detergents. So last night I filled up with their top Nitro V power 91 ( all we have around here). Car seemed to wake up a bit. It feels a tad more responsive and overall cleaner healthier sounding engine. I just wanted to see if there was a difference in my opinion. I will be using Shell from now on even if it is $4.30 a gallon.
It's not so much about the number of additives. The key is the PTB (or ppm) level of detergent in the fuel. Top tier has a much higher level than LAC. ExMo, BP, Shell, and other TT companies will have plenty of detergent. Shell does try to differentiate themselves with other additives (maybe friction modifiers).

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Car seems a bit more peppy to me with premium. Will probably only use it in the summer though. Haven't had it long enough to see how regular does in the winter.
Use "Plus" & Premium, not reg. GT's don't like 87 octane, they will except 89 octane. I sometimes use them together for 91 octane equivalence. In the winter I have used 89 plus gas with no issues.
tn_20191003_094528.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've done that same test with multiple tanks of 87 and 91 in my 2015 GT that I daily drove. I never noticed a seat of the pants difference.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've done that same test with multiple tanks of 87 and 91 in my 2015 GT that I daily drove. I never noticed a seat of the pants difference.
I can definitely tell a difference on my 2015. On 87 it runs fine, just not as responsive as it feels on 93. Midrange torque and on top end is where I really notice the difference. One of my jobs when I was in law enforcement was receiving the new patrol units for our department. We were small, about 100 deputies. The one thing I learned was we could get 10 new units in and there was always one that just ran better than the rest even though all were “identical”. I usually grabbed that one for my use.... rank had it’s privileges. :) We will likely trade/sell the Mustang in about a year and go back to a truck, but until then it will stay on 93.

3F9332EC-56ED-4A37-9F4A-B0B5374AE66D.jpeg
Sponsored