Sponsored

source for Gen 3 short blocks ( nationwide shortage)

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
This is the kind of responses I'm getting....I can't wait to put my case together against the jack wagons that sold me the kit then upgrade then AFTER they sold me the high dollar upgrade told me that was to much psi and wanted me to spend another 1000 all together to turn the boost back down in a way to encourage me to void my warranty.....then stopped answering emails, providing no support or delivering on any promises....dirty as hell ( seller not maker so far) just have to get my car running and all will he dealt with....I am patient but I'm tired of getting walked on in this and only one who is bearing this load...SURE AFTER they sold it to me and I paid to have it ASE installed they told me its to much a damn griptech pulley and Lund tune would have done nearly the same thing.....tired of making a payment on car blown up...
Screenshot_20191020-221638_Gmail.jpg
Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
This is the kind of responses I'm getting....I can't wait to put my case together against the jack wagons that sold me the kit then upgrade then AFTER they sold me the high dollar upgrade told me that was to much psi and wanted me to spend another 1000 all together to turn the boost back down in a way to encourage me to void my warranty.....then stopped answering emails, providing no support or delivering on any promises....dirty as hell ( seller not maker so far) just have to get my car running and all will he dealt with....I am patient but I'm tired of getting walked on in this and only one who is bearing this load...SURE AFTER they sold it to me and I paid to have it ASE installed they told me its to much a damn griptech pulley and Lund tune would have done nearly the same thing.....tired of making a payment on car blown up...
Screenshot_20191020-221638_Gmail.jpg
That’s BS .
Hang in there man (and sorry the thread jack )
It will be worth it in the end when you have your freshly built block with all the goodies and you know it will take whatever you can throw at it

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
That’s BS .
Hang in there man (and sorry the thread jack )
It will be worth it in the end when you have your freshly built block with all the goodies and you know it will take whatever you can throw at it
You kidding me? I LOVE the hijacking of the thread. I'm still new to the platform and learn from every single discussion. I'm really glad to see this community pontificating discussing possibilities outside the box....which is more of what I'm used to, when so many seem cookie cutter perhaps I watch to much YouTube....
Lets face it no manufacturer makes us cars ready to use like we want....even it it's not a design flaw the stock 392 Hemi has a super thin crown area and not enough gap thereby while it might pass emissions at its stock 485hp and live forever its woefully setup up wrong for us to add boost for example....
I wanted to get into all this and tune it myself on like a 2 year time frame..BUT the point of my family talking me into buying my first new car and complete 50 states legal warranted kits installed by ASE and Ford techs was precisely to take load of me for health reasons while still providing a little of what I've always liked and it's been one long series of spending money....stresses...fighting....arguing......new stresses....downtime....carfax is easing into the multi page territory.....everyone lying.....and most of all my car seemingly constantly unavailable to me ( even impounded waiting on a check with work done when I stressed to the dealer multiple times if it's not preauthorized DONT down the work I'll pay you the labor for pulling it and then tow it home yet they completed work against my multiple reminders and wishes then held it hostage so I had to sweat it out just like I will now) to the point to do my daughter's gender reveal at the track as she wished; I had to fire up a car not driven since July before last....filthy, fuel line dry rotted ( they shouldnt have let me run it honestly) brakes locked up, external voltage regulator acting out but 1 day later drove it in and was making power done its job and drove the 52 year old car home next to a NEW car hood up waiting on its 3rd engine in 988 miles.....it kinda just hit me hard when I drove back in and parked it next to the 19....after owning that car then thinking damn how nice would the old gurl be if I had wasted the money I've wasted on the 19( especially after diminished value from 2 engine replacements).
So dont mind me I'm just a little extra salty right now....
I DO appreciate the responses as the opportunity to learn, especially if I am thinking wrong about something.....

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I don’t think 6 knock detectors is needed. You can go with 2 what you can do with 6 just not as accurately. With six they can triangulate exactly where the knock is in the engine. Left side of cylinder 6 for instance. This helps with 87 on 12:1(or makes possible) but in racing application knowing there is knock is all you really need.

The gen 3 has bigger oil drain back passages but the holes in the actual head gaskets aren’t very big. Might flood the head with oil though?
On the sensors: assuming using an 18+ ECU/harness/tune; since the tune and algorithms and everything the tuners work with for 18+ is based on 6 sensors, changing to 2 might create more work and time/cost for tuner to make a one off 18+ tune w only 2 sensors. I would lean towards adding 4x $1.00 bolts to get the 6 signals just because the 18+ ECU and tunes are already set up for it.

I think the oil drainback chimneys are wide open on head gasket. Dont think a bolt thru chimney would obstruct enough to flood heads since chimneys are so oversized.

Man... anyone have 2020 GT500 head gasket pictures?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Are head gaskets specific for the head or block ?.

I know the GT 500 uses the Gen 2 Voodoo heads which are “beefier” with larger central cooling passages but otherwise unchanged from Gen 1 .
Head gaskets are also thicker .

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6050-M52A
C628AD5E-7803-4249-B3F0-28373317ED87.png

Sponsored

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Just an FYI I think my new Gen 3 ( may29th 2019 build date) only come with 4 knock sensors but is that another BOSS for one in the center?

Forgot to upload the photo haha
20190813_150428-01.jpeg

Last edited:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Don't know if it's been mentioned or not but you might want to try MPR racing engines for a new Gen 3 block, they had them in stock when I ordered one a few months back.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 is always going to be better that 2. I just don’t know if a specifically built engine (race) needs what an all purpose built engine needed. It is theoretically impossible to run straight 12:1 on 87 octane. Ford does it with valve timing and other wizardry.

Attaching more knock sensor should work no problem I just don’t think it is necessary if you are looking for any knock (race) vs expected knock and control (87 octane).
funny thing is the OEM Gen 3 engine in my 18 has been quite resilient (hope I did not
Just jinx myself ) compared to the Gen 2’s in my 15’s.
It’s the longest I have ever had a stock motor last.

I am on my 4th engine (hopefully last ) in my 2015 Hellion car that has 24000 miles .
That car has seen up to 20 psi of boost but probably less 1/4 miles passes in 4 years.

Previous engines were OEM, alluminator and sleeved 5.2 prior to current predator(non sleeved Gen 2 voodoo block ) based engine with GT 350 heads /ford racing cams.

The 2015 KB car is also on its 4th motor in 15,000 miles . That has seen also 20 psi and less 1/4 miles passes. Previous engines were OEM, buddy assembled non sleeved 5.0, MMR sleeved 5.2 (just came out due to lifting heads ).

Current motor is another sleeved (BES) 5.2 /GT350 heads/Ford racing cams (like Hellion car )
Has less than 1000 miles and just found metal in oil pan so may need to come out and be replaced with 5th engine !!!

All have been 11:1 compression but the one that MAY be going in the KB car is a BPS assembled 12:1 compression long block (non sleeved Gen 1 voodoo/GT350 heads as ford racing cams ).
Previous failures have ranged from holes in pistons(OEM and alluminator in Hellion car ), spun rod bearing (OEM in KB ),crack in the valley (buddy assembled non sleeved block in KB), broken crank (MMR sleeved 5.2 in Hellion ), Head lifting (MMR sleeved 5.2 in KB) , metal in pan ?? (BES sleeved 5.2 now in KB -cause to be determined ).

Meanwhile the OEM motor in the 18 is still running strong @15 psi and may be over 100 1/4 mile passes in 2 years /20,000 miles.
Best it’s been is 9.7 and highest trap 143 mph(with 3.25 grip tech pulley )
It’s a a full weight (4200 lbs with driver ) but lighter cars are trapping much higher which is why I am wondering if it has issues and plan on a compression test .
If /when it needs a new block definitely will use the L&M sleeved Gen 2 . Tuner is already aware that’s the plan so a “custom “ tune for 2 knock sensors should not be an issue .

Last edited:
OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Don't know if it's been mentioned or not but you might want to try MPR racing engines for a new Gen 3 block, they had them in stock when I ordered one a few months back.
Thanks and they should be rewarded for their work in telling us the root issue with the slap, aka the stock bores grow 5 thousandths at 200 degrees so no cast piston can match that thermal expansion..they would have to be on half thousandths skirt to wall cold, which is insane, to even be close....
Thanks for that

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to be disingenuous but why don’t you just stuff in another stock 18+ short block? I don’t know if I would even put pistons in it. Ford put tons of money in fluid modeling on these engines so I can imagine changing anything 12:1 boosted is going to make things better.

Also another question why are you sticking with 11:1 on these built motors? I would be down at least 9.3-9.5 especially on the turbo motor. The TVS motor I understand but would still prob drop back to the 10:1.

Are you running E85 on everything?
yes,E85 on everything.

I stuck with stock compression as they started off as “street “ cars/driven frequently and wanted the additional “pep” you seem to get from higher compression motors.

I have considered an OEM 18 short block...if I need to replace the current one . Car is daily driven more than any other mustang I have had and not looking to push it any more than the current .
I am strictly a “test and tuner “ and even that is getting old (no longer fun waiting in line 3-4 hours to make two 9 second passes )

May be sell the L&M block to someone with 15-17 (or offer with cars I am listing ) and have some extra play money left over considering the 18 blocks are cheap .

Sponsored
OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
yes,E85 on everything.

I stuck with stock compression as they started off as “street “ cars/driven frequently and wanted the additional “pep” you seem to get from higher compression motors.

I have considered an OEM 18 short block...if I need to replace the current one . Car is daily driven more than any other mustang I have had and not looking to push it any more than the current .
I am strictly a “test and tuner “ and even that is getting old (no longer fun waiting in line 3-4 hours to make two 9 second passes )

May be sell the L&M block to someone with 15-17 (or offer with cars I am listing ) and have some extra play money left over considering the 18 blocks are cheap .
Sound like me, anymore I want to go once or twice a year and smash it in the counter now and then....
Now as far as actually getting a short block as you can see that can be difficult and by the time it gets to you, you pay shipping and core it's around 3k....still not bad...but makes the bare block ( cheapest I found to door was 1100ish that actually had it) that's the way to go I suppose for all out cheapness.
Another thing I notice is if you go to the local Ford parts directly they will charge you more than their own service department will.....also I cant order cheaper short block online ( the ones that seem $2100 till you order them) and return the core to yours....

Once I really looked back and seen how long my car has actually been down I been trying to work every angle I can to get going hehe.....

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Also I think the e85 is the key and regardless of what product makers want to say it's a lot to ask a 12 to 1 engine to produce much over stock power on 91/93....and stock exhaust....especially 50 states legal stuff that make you run stock stat and fan turn on ranges ect....ect ect...

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Sound like me, anymore I want to go once or twice a year and smash it in the counter now and then....
Now as far as actually getting a short block as you can see that can be difficult and by the time it gets to you, you pay shipping and core it's around 3k....still not bad...but makes the bare block ( cheapest I found to door was 1100ish that actually had it) that's the way to go I suppose for all out cheapness.
Another thing I notice is if you go to the local Ford parts directly they will charge you more than their own service department will.....also I cant order cheaper short block online ( the ones that seem $2100 till you order them) and return the core to yours....

Once I really looked back and seen how long my car has actually been down I been trying to work every angle I can to get going hehe.....
Contact AER and ask if you can either meet them roadside or they can just pick up a core at local dealer (they almost always say option 2).
You will be bribing a local dealer to scan a core in using another dealers AER code.
I bribe local dealer parts counter staff. I take $100 worth of pastries in once or twice and many dealers around town know me as the cinnamon roll guy.
Have the discount motors shipped to local dealer using Ford dealer network cheap shipping.
Pick pallet up at dealer parts dock.
Return core to same dealer and have them scan in using discount dealer scan codes.
I find out what day the AER truck picks up to bring the core back on that exact morning so its not sitting and less likely a manager might say 'wtf'.
I bribe everyone.
I put shit tires on rear and let techs and parts desk peeps do 60 second long donuts in empty lots while their buddies videos.
Make it as easy as possible for people to do what you need done. Make your own luck and theirs.

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Can you upload a boat load more pictures from all over that engine if you have any?
Wife has me doing something with her, I'll look...
I'll tell you this if it will help the community I'll take a boat load of photos and video with my pro gear....I just kinda did this for posterity hehe
Sponsored