Sponsored

Test driving a GT350

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
I test drove at my local CarMax. Dealerships were having none of it.

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
I test drove at my local CarMax. Dealerships were having none of it.
I drove the exact same color combination you have. I didn’t think I would like the kona blue to be honest but it was very appealing.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I could not get a dealer to let me drive one though they were very happy to gouge me on price. The dealer I eventually bought from (had to go out of state to get one at msrp) offered to let me take it out. What I did as a half measure was go and drive a GT to at least get a few for the chassis and the car in general. It helped but I can say that the Shelby is a whole level superior.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Yes you should be able to take one for a short test drive, maybe not a R though. As others mentioned be warned after driving it you will want to make the purchase. I did several weeks ago and couldn't get it off my mind, traded in my loved Boss yesterday. Something I said I would never do. Good luck.

Sponsored

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
My local Ford dealer has 4 2019s all with dead batteries they've been there so long. No test drives allowed. I'm a two Hellcat guy and was shopping for a Zl1 1LE. having driven a friends....phenomenal car. My neighbor bought a GT350 and literally pulled into the dealer as I was negotiating a ZL1 deal. I took one look and knew I was in trouble. He let me drive it.....and I DROVE it! Long story short....bought a 2019 the next day. Something about this Shelby just feels very special. My only gripe is low end torque but that is overshadowed by the unbelievable handling and sound of that marvelous hand built flat plane crank V8. Ohhhhh and it's gorgeous! Ford Performance made a fan out of me real real quick. I LOVE this car.

Last edited:

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Test drove a new 2017 at a local dealer but couldn't come to a deal, offered MSRP but they had a hefty ADM. A few months later went to another dealer, they let me test drive three 2017's, including one by myself! Ended up buying one of those.

Sixx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
19 GT 350
I was able to test drive mine; however, most of the other dealers in my area wouldn't let me.

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I put the first test drive miles on the two GT350s my dealership had at the time I was looking to order a GT. But I had a good working relationship with the dealership, and had struck up a positive relationship with the Ford Performance manager there. I was sitting in the Recaros, just to see if I wanted to get something like that for a GT when he grinned and asked me if I wanted to drive it. "Are you sure that's allowed?" He said, "I'm the Performance Manager here. If I say it's allowed, then it is."

So I test drove it. Next day I scrapped plans to order a new GT and drove home with the GT350. :) Happily ever after story.

I think the OPs answer here, test drives depend entirely on the dealership. If they know you, like you've bought Mustangs from them before and/or had them there for service or mods or both, then they might let you test drive regardless of regular policy.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
I put the first test drive miles on the two GT350s my dealership had at the time I was looking to order a GT. But I had a good working relationship with the dealership, and had struck up a positive relationship with the Ford Performance manager there. I was sitting in the Recaros, just to see if I wanted to get something like that for a GT when he grinned and asked me if I wanted to drive it. "Are you sure that's allowed?" He said, "I'm the Performance Manager here. If I say it's allowed, then it is."

So I test drove it. Next day I scrapped plans to order a new GT and drove home with the GT350. :) Happily ever after story.

I think the OPs answer here, test drives depend entirely on the dealership. If they know you, like you've bought Mustangs from them before and/or had them there for service or mods or both, then they might let you test drive regardless of regular policy.
Funny how the GT350 has that effect!

The OP was looking to buy/test a used GT350. There in no reason a dealer shouldn't let him test used.

Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
The best thing I ever did was test drive a used GT350 the day I placed my order for a GT Premium PP2. After crunching the numbers and talking myself into the extra money that I blow on crap can go towards the payment on the GT350, I cancelled the PP2 and bought the GT350. I haven't looked back.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered mine new with no test drive. I knew I wanted one.
Voodoo3a.JPG

I would like to test drive a used one and hire a mechanic to look at it (with something in writing). The same deal would be true for any car over $25K. I'd pay $350 to avoid some disaster. I am a good shade-tree mechanic but a long way from a professional mechanic.
Sponsored