Sponsored

How much extra clearance for a cj manifold?

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I bought a cobra cobra jet setup to replace my 18 im. How much clearance is needed? I am going to put a set of bmr adjustable mounts in and hoping that they will give me enough clearance, and hope they will help with my high rpm shifting issues alao.
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I bought a cobra cobra jet setup to replace my 18 im. How much clearance is needed? I am going to put a set of bmr adjustable mounts in and hoping that they will give me enough clearance, and hope they will help with my high rpm shifting issues alao.
If your using the mounts your good to go.

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The mounts will work, but you can only go 1/2" lower because of clearance issues.

What is your high RPM shifting issue?

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
The mounts will be all you need, I believe you need 1/2 to make it fit. Hit me up if you need some mounts for a great price at Lethalperformance.com

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
1/2" will get you the clearance you're looking for. Some remove the hood liner, others let the hood liner rest on the manifold, your choice.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
The mounts will be all you need, I believe you need 1/2 to make it fit. Hit me up if you need some mounts for a great price at Lethalperformance.com
Does this apply for 2018-up?

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Does this apply for 2018-up?
The 18's still require the mounts, but since the front end is alot lower than the 15-17s, there may need to be slight modification to the underside of the hood as well.

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
As Det-Riot said and from my experience, all that is needed on the 2018 is 1/2". The hood liner on my car rests slightly on the intake, maybe an 1/16 of an inch, but I left it alone as it is not causing any issuses.

Also, I went with the Steeda mounts and only used the softer red bushings. The kit comes with red bushings and two extra/optional higher durometer black bushings. Using just the red bushings helped lessen the NVH, which is not bad.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
S
The 18's still require the mounts, but since the front end is alot lower than the 15-17s, there may need to be slight modification to the underside of the hood as well.
Mounts are required? I was looking into the Cobra jet setup but I don't want to do mounts because of long tube headers and the fact it would skyrocket an installation cost. I was thinking about just cutting the hood instead. Is that not possible with the 18+? Or is it not recommended to cut the hood?

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
S

Mounts are required? I was looking into the Cobra jet setup but I don't want to do mounts because of long tube headers and the fact it would skyrocket an installation cost. I was thinking about just cutting the hood instead. Is that not possible with the 18+? Or is it not recommended to cut the hood?
Depending on how much you're planning on cutting, I don't think you could get away with it without cutting a hole in the hood honestly. Most people I know that have done the install just use the mounts to get the clearance or get a cowl hood.

Sponsored

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
S

The only other option aside from full mounts is the mount bracket that attaches to the block. BMR makes drop brackets that will drop the engine down on the actual motor mount. It's one or the other. Or k-member spacers, but that's it's own endeavor ;]

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to get the CJ to clear the strut tower brace as well?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
S

You will need the mounts. They aren't expensive and they are quick and easy to install. This is what we had to do on my buddy's '18. He has long tubes as well and are not an issue with the mounts. No need to cut the hood.
Sponsored