Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I spent 3 years perfecting my suspension for Bavarian roads and high speed journeys on the German autobahns and succeeded, wildly. However, now that I've moved back to the US I have sadly realized that my suspension is too stiff for the local roads around me. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyway, I'm looking into swapping my 225F/880R springs for either a linear option that is close to PP OEM, or venturing into the progressive realm. I'm even considering a mix & match by installing a 200lb/in-ish front spring and a progressive rear. In the end, the overall goal is light spring, a bit over on the dampers, and big(er) swaybars. My initial thought is to grab the Steeda Progressives (tried and true) and pair them with adjustable ProActions, though I'm open for ideas.

I'm interested to hear what moderate, lower stance, street setups you all are running and how you like them. If you have photos and vignettes on how you drive please share.

Thanks,

- Mike
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I spent 3 years perfecting my suspension for Bavarian roads and high speed journeys on the German autobahns and succeeded, wildly. However, now that I've moved back to the US I have sadly realized that my suspension is too stiff for the local roads around me. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyway, I'm looking into swapping my 225F/880R springs for either a linear option that is close to PP OEM, or venturing into the progressive realm. I'm even considering a mix & match by installing a 200lb/in-ish front spring and a progressive rear. In the end, the overall goal is light spring, a bit over on the dampers, and big(er) swaybars. My initial thought is to grab the Steeda Progressives (tried and true) and pair them with adjustable ProActions, though I'm open for ideas.

I'm interested to hear what moderate, lower stance, street setups you all are running and how you like them. If you have photos and vignettes on how you drive please share.

Thanks,

- Mike
Based on what I've heard, I'd stick with your ultralites (which I could've sworn were 200/800) or sport linear, and grab the Bilstein B6 monotubes. Can be had on eBay for ~$700 for all four. "Silky" is how they've been described to me. When I went from the fixed Pro action to the FP track monotubes the ride became significantly more compliant and more controlled at the same time. The Bilsteins are even better from those who've tried both.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what I've heard, I'd stick with your ultralites (which I could've sworn were 200/800) or sport linear, and grab the Bilstein B6 monotubes. Can be had on eBay for ~$700 for all four. "Silky" is how they've been described to me. When I went from the fixed Pro action to the FP track monotubes the ride became significantly more compliant and more controlled at the same time. The Bilsteins are even better from those who've tried both.
Those Bilsteins are very tempting, without a doubt. I'm sure they'll improve things, but I'm not confident it'll resolve the ride issues due to the roads I drive now. The amount of potholes and webbed asphalt I deal with on a daily basis is basically like driving off-road -- the road quality is impressively terrible (to the point where I'm considering a different car).

Anyway, do you think the Bilsteins would be too aggressive on the Steeda Progressive or OEM rated spring? Any of your Mustang buds running a pure street oriented setup that they like? As for the Ultralites, I confirmed they are 225/880 with Steeda a while back.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Those Bilsteins are very tempting, without a doubt. I'm sure they'll improve things, but I'm not confident it'll resolve the ride issues due to the roads I drive now. The amount of potholes and webbed asphalt I deal with on a daily basis is basically like driving off-road -- the road quality is impressively terrible (to the point where I'm considering a different car).

Anyway, do you think the Bilsteins would be too aggressive on the Steeda Progressive or OEM rated spring? Any of your Mustang buds running a pure street oriented setup that they like? As for the Ultralites, I confirmed they are 225/880 with Steeda a while back.
Yeah. @Lexman is local to me and has the BMR min drop setup (170/740, 0.88"/0.5" drop) with just the pp dampers, and he's a purely street/dd setup. It'd ride way better with the Bilsteins, but is good on the pp dampers.

If your roads are that bad you may want something that has more travel and significantly more tire sidewall (like a CUV).

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm interested to hear what moderate, lower stance, street setups you all are running and how you like them.
BmacIL pointed me in the direction of Ford Racing’s blue painted GT350 struts and shocks that I paired with Steeda latest revision Ultralite linears. I’ve never looked back since installation and drive on crappy Chicago roads year around.
If your in Huntsville I do know the roads there, I’d have even higher praise of my setup on those roads.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
BmacIL pointed me in the direction of Ford Racing’s blue painted GT350 struts and shocks that I paired with Steeda latest revision Ultralite linears. I’ve never looked back since installation and drive on crappy Chicago roads year around.
If your in Huntsville I do know the roads there, I’d have ever higher praise of my setup on those roads.
Good intel. That makes two votes for just changing dampers, so I'm listening carefully now. You really don't have any disturbing moments driving in Chicago?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good intel. That makes two votes for just changing dampers, so I'm listening carefully now. You really don't have any disturbing moments driving in Chicago?
Dampers can do wonders. I find the occasional road that's harsh even with my setup (a lot more serious/track oriented), but most are fine. Wife approved.

It's only been in the last couple months that the Bilstein full setup has been available. I'd not advise anyone with the FP monotubes to change from them until they're worn out, but if you are looking for new, you'd be hard pressed to find a better damper option for stock to ~50% stiffer than stock rates.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Dampers can do wonders. I find the occasional road that's harsh even with my setup (a lot more serious/track oriented), but most are fine. Wife approved.

It's only been in the last couple months that the Bilstein full setup has been available. I'd not advise anyone with the FP monotubes to change from them until they're worn out, but if you are looking for new, you'd be hard pressed to find a better damper option for stock to ~50% stiffer than stock rates.
Good stuff, thanks.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Make that three votes for just changing dampers.

Harshness is usually the worst part of poor ride quality, and it's the sharp bumps causing high damper velocities (and consequently forces) that's mainly to blame.

I'll just mention the notion of adjustable dampers as evidence - my wife would not tolerate ride quality in my '08 for very long at all if I left the dampers on my track settings (around 75% of the way to full firm). She can deal with the street settings that I prefer for myself (30-ish%) but certainly appreciates when I dial them back still further (getting close to but not quite at full soft).

This is with wheel rates around 225 lb/in - think GT350R except with a stick axle instead of IRS.
FWIW, in a couple of days we'll both be "70-somethings". Even up toward the firmer range of aftermarket lowering springs, ride quality really can be quite live-able.

Norm

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Good info here, I was planning on buying a new shock/strut this winter. My pro actions have to go as these chicago streets and highways are shaking my car apart! You live and your learn....

Anyone have any input on koni adjustables?

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
We have tested several Mono Tube Dampers and Twin Tube Dampers and found that the Mono Tube traditionally are firmer because of the high pressure design.
I would recommend our Steeda Progressive springs and our new "PUR" polyurethane foam jounce bump stops which provides a more gentle transition.This alone with our fixed valve dampers soften the ride quality considerably. The final would be our Pro-Active Dampers.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Comfort-Suspension-Package-15-17-555-2422
Steeda S550 Mustang Comfort Suspension Package (2015-2020)
Comfort.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good info here, I was planning on buying a new shock/strut this winter. My pro actions have to go as these chicago streets and highways are shaking my car apart! You live and your learn....

Anyone have any input on koni adjustables?
Very sharp handling but a bit on the harsher side. My recommendations stand, as does my recommendation to not lower the car too much (reducing travel). There's only so much a damper can do with soft springs and limited travel.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'm fairly settled on trying an experimental setup: retaining my ProAction fronts and swapping the rears for the B6 shocks. If the Bilsteins feel as good as advertised, then I'll pop for the struts and perhaps a lower rate spring. I recall seeing that the Steeda shock mounts won't fit the B6s; any aftermarket units that will? Otherwise, it's back to the OEM mounts.

Option 2 is to get the Steeda adjustable shocks to see how those feel. If they, after some trial and error with settings, work well, then I’ll consider popping for the struts too.

In either case, keeping the Ultralites would be awesome if I can improve the rough reaction to the poor roads around here. I love the look and they handle incredibly on curvy roads.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited: