Looking to buy GT350 and need help

TopBallew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
BMW 320i, Volvo XC90, Ford F250
I have owned Mustangs over the years, but not a 6th gen yet. Looking to buy a used GT350. I'm seeing quite a few with 10k or less miles priced around $45k-$50k. Should I be worried that these are going to have blown motors soon or anything because of the low mileage?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If they are on a Ford Dealer lot - ask the Salesperson for an OASIS report. That will show all repair history and warranty work.

Also check to make sure it’s not a Ford RAV Buy Back (Lemon). The Dealership should disclose such info up front if it’s applicable and it will show on OASIS too.

As for the engine - it’s like buying any Mustang used - it could let loose or it could go for 100k+ with no issues. There are plenty of GT350 Owners in the GT350 forum on here who have not had any engine issues.

There are still 2018’s around and the 2019’s have some deals going on too. If you’re in an area where winter is approaching, you should be able to strike up a better deal since they want to move sports cars off the lots before snow season.

Take a look over on cargurus.com and open up the search to whole country - you’ll find plenty of deals on S550 GT350’s and that site shows pricing so you know if the deals are in the “fair” price point of if the dealer is trying to pull a train robbery...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I have owned Mustangs over the years, but not a 6th gen yet. Looking to buy a used GT350. I'm seeing quite a few with 10k or less miles priced around $45k-$50k. Should I be worried that these are going to have blown motors soon or anything because of the low mileage?
Nope. But know what youre buying. The gt350 is a race car trying to be a street car... What that means is you need to be dilligent about letting it warm up and monitoring to oil temps and pressures. Also the tires are not cheap, dont last very long and not many brands carry that size... The rideheight is also something to pay attention to. Getting in and out of driveways etc.

Once you understand all that you should totally buy one.

A lot of owners are buying these cars driving them like a Toyota blowing them up then crying that ford sold them a lemon...

Also physically get down and make sure the one you're buying has the oil coolers for the trans and diff installed. Ford was trying to cut corners in the early days and didnt equip some tech pack equipped cars with those parts and ALL S550s should have those parts, and the gt350 definitely NEEDS them.

Adding the coolers after is expensive.

And whatever car you buy if irs used assume it needs a clutch and driveshaft because most mustang owners CANNOT drive stick and love slamming gears and ridding the clutch... You May want to research the price of these parts and have some cash saved up in case u need them in a year or so after you buy it.

This has been true for every used Mustang.

Last edited:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Nope. But know what youre buying.
Good advice from 3star2nr. I would totally get a low mile GT350, since that's what I did. I got a 2017 used with about 10K on it (from the dealer). IMO used was better. Looked at the Oasis, no reported oil consumption issues (and I have had none), the car already had Xpel on the front bumper and hood and had been ceramic coated and Steeda jacking rails installed. Don't be worried by low mileage, not very many people DD their GT350. I sort of DD mine, but even that is rarely more than 3 days a week, on pace for about 5-6000 a year. I got mine for a little less than a new GT optioned as I wanted (in that 45-50k range). Some oil consumption is normal. If you ask the owner and he doesn't have any idea, that might worry me a bit.

All 2017 and later should all have coolers. Late 2017 have cartridge oil filters instead of spin-on. I would check for the cartridge filter. You can plug the VIN in to a Ford parts finder and see which filter it calls for. The ride height and overhang are a serious concern depending on where you drive. If you have even a little steep driveway (I didn't think I did) it will scrape. You have to think about hitting them at an angle all the time.

I have base Recaro seats and think they are very comfortable, but do a fit check. They are quite snug in the hips and if I were much bigger I don't think I would fit (I'm 6' 185).

That being said, a GT350 will always be a GT350. The difference in looks on the front end and hood are almost worth the price by themselves.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP

TopBallew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
BMW 320i, Volvo XC90, Ford F250
Good advice from 3star2nr. I would totally get a low mile GT350, since that's what I did. I got a 2017 used with about 10K on it (from the dealer). IMO used was better. Looked at the Oasis, no reported oil consumption issues (and I have had none), the car already had Xpel on the front bumper and hood and had been ceramic coated and Steeda jacking rails installed. Don't be worried by low mileage, not very many people DD their GT350. I sort of DD mine, but even that is rarely more than 3 days a week, on pace for about 5-6000 a year. I got mine for a little less than a new GT optioned as I wanted (in that 45-50k range). Some oil consumption is normal. If you ask the owner and he doesn't have any idea, that might worry me a bit.

All 2017 and later should all have coolers. Late 2017 have cartridge oil filters instead of spin-on. I would check for the cartridge filter. You can plug the VIN in to a Ford parts finder and see which filter it calls for. The ride height and overhang are a serious concern depending on where you drive. If you have even a little steep driveway (I didn't think I did) it will scrape. You have to think about hitting them at an angle all the time.

I have base Recaro seats and think they are very comfortable, but do a fit check. They are quite snug in the hips and if I were much bigger I don't think I would fit (I'm 6' 185).

That being said, a GT350 will always be a GT350. The difference in looks on the front end and hood are almost worth the price by themselves.
Awesome. Thanks so much. I was going to ask next if buying a brand new 2018 that is still around for $58k would be better than buying a 2017 for $45-$50k.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Awesome. Thanks so much. I was going to ask next if buying a brand new 2018 that is still around for $58k would be better than buying a 2017 for $45-$50k.
That is a question only you can answer. I would say that it comes down almost as much to color and options you want. A 2018 for $58K isn't much discount, but it's new and you're getting a fresh warranty.
Sponsored