Are we just too demanding?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So i was watching this review of the Bullitt by savagegeese yall should subscribe to his channel.

He went into a review on the s550s in general and to be honest it got me questioning if we as owners and car buyers are just too demanding?

So one of the things he kept bringing up was these cars arent "drivers" cars like a BMW or Porsche is and you dont "feel" as much and the suspension system is built of steal to a price point...

But to me as a owner I think these issues are the biggest selling points of the car... I LOVE that unlike a BMW I dont have to replace my entire suspension system once a year...

I love the fact that when I go over a train track i dont need to call AAA and order a new set of wheels... I love that these cars are overbuilt, easy to work on and cheaply made. That means I can fix it myself, with non special tools. And i can get parts at AutoZone in an emergency or have a plethora of options if i want quality stuff... Compare that to my buddy who had a E60 M5 who dropped 15k on a clutch job... I really love having ford problems vs BMW pproblems..

I agree with his gripes about fit and finish quality, but really to me that stuff is nitpicky... Price cutting has to happen... There are no free lunches... If the price I have to pay, is a bumper gap, less "feel", but i still get a great interior, functionality, performance, great looks, reliability, ease of repairs bro I'll, take that deal all day....

What are ur thoughts.
Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
If it was offered with the A10 I would be driving a Black one.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Actually the dude that looks like he lives in his Mom's basement said some nice stuff in the summary about the Mustang but he sure trashed it while driving it. The other guy gets it the GT just puts a shit eating grin on your face when you roll into it with that sound and feel.

Jm22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S90
I have an M2 and it's a fun car, but the suspension and steering isn't this magical thing.

Is it a better car than a Mustang? Yes, but not as much as people think. Besides the M2, I wouldn't buy a BMW. I rented a Mustang on vacation for a week and put a lot of miles on it and was seriously impressed with it overall.

I don't want to modify my car because the DCT is a fortune to fix and the motor is $25k to replace if you break it.

Granted mines an '18 with 14k miles, but I haven't had a single issue with it as a DD. However, I won't keep it past warranty.

I want a car I can upgrade and tinker with without fear. I'm likely going to American V8 within the year.

Porsche is amazing, but you can get 2 GTs for a base 911.

They're fundamentally different cars. Refined fit and finish European 6-cylinders versus raw, V8 power that isn't as refined and lacks some interior, but has a massive aftermarket and nearly unlimited tuning and customization.

Same reason my father traded his RS7 for a Stage 2 Hellcat.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I honestly feel like if they had put in the Ford Performance shifter as stock, and left the gearing alone, or given it a 4.09 rear, It would have been much better drive train wise.

Handling I still feel the PP2 and BULLITT should have been 1 car with a wheel option for wider wheels with Cup2's like how the Focus RS had a Winter wheel option.

Those things alone would have improved the car a LOT.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
if we as owners and car buyers are just too demanding?
No. The Japanese, Korean and VW make better cars, lighter cars, and their fit/finish is superior. Detroit simply does not expect nor DEMAND excellence from their workers and suppliers and so therefore you end up with (admittedly worlds better than the utter crap from 70/80's) the observed results. There is nothing inherently deficient in the American worker that a swift kick in the ass can't fix. There is also the observation that the American buying public is only interested in price and will willingly accept crap. If Toyota/Honda tried to sell in Japan what Detroit thinks is acceptable, they'd be bankrupt in no time flat.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
No. The Japanese, Korean and VW make better cars, lighter cars, and their fit/finish is superior. Detroit simply does not expect nor DEMAND excellence from their workers and suppliers and so therefore you end up with (admittedly worlds better than the utter crap from 70/80's) the observed results. There is nothing inherently deficient in the American worker that a swift kick in the ass can't fix. There is also the observation that the American buying public is only interested in price and will willingly accept crap. If Toyota/Honda tried to sell in Japan what Detroit thinks is acceptable, they'd be bankrupt in no time flat.
Vw? Vw pushes out garbage. The others sure they have a good reputation , they're boring af but hey if boring and reliable is your thing then sure a Toyota or Hyundai are solid. But vw?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You know a lot of suppliers work for multiple brands right? My dads factory made parts for GM, VW group, BMW, MB, Ford and Dodge. The difference was that the American brands cares less about tolerances and often requested lower spec items. the EU brands demanded tighter tolerances and were willing to pay more for them. So they got better version of the exact same part, the ones that didn't pass VW/BMW/MB spec usually met GM/Ford/Dodge so they got those parts.

US brands are just cheap.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm not a fan of savagegeese. I feel like all he does is just rip on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that he touches. I'm just trying to stay away from the cesspool that is the YouTube car community all together to be honest.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm not a fan of savagegeese. I feel like all he does is just rip on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that he touches. I'm just trying to stay away from the cesspool that is the YouTube car community all together to be honest.
Not true. He VERY much loves everything about Mazda 3.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The difference was that the American brands cares less about tolerances and often requested lower spec items.
Which was my point. I didn't say the suppliers were incapable of producing good stuff, just that they were not required to - for delivery to US brands. Even the Chinese marvel at the American appetite for shitty-ass quality.

Mike702

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
I've owned 5 BMW's (3 of them brand new leases) and just bought my '19 GT once my most recent lease expired after having a Mustang as a rental for a few days earlier this year.

I was really surprised how nice the Mustang is and how much I liked it. Different driving experience? Yes. A little bit less refined? Yes. But they're just different cars with different goals. I'd have to agree with the guy being a little too demanding.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I love my car, but I have the 10 speed, I had a mt82 on my 2011 and it broke
Sponsored