MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Out of curiosity, how much do you raise/lower your top? To be clear, you should be able to do that as much as you'd like, just wondering if there's a tipping point where there's concern.

I don't drive mine daily, and I rarely put the top up, seriously, based on my '16, I bet I put the top up 3-4 times a month :D

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Out of curiosity, how much do you raise/lower your top? To be clear, you should be able to do that as much as you'd like, just wondering if there's a tipping point where there's concern.

I don't drive mine daily, and I rarely put the top up, seriously, based on my '16, I bet I put the top up 3-4 times a month :D
i live in canada so i use it 4-5 month. And i almost open it 6 times a day. For use it s worstening the problem i think but there is no limit in the manual :-)

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
i live in canada so i use it 4-5 month. And i almost open it 6 times a day. For use it s worstening the problem i think but there is no limit in the manual :-)
Hey, you're living in the wrong part of Canada:)

Any day that is dry and above 5C is top down weather, regardless of time of year. In the prime months (April-October), the top is down pretty much every day. This season I started leaving the top down in the garage overnight and only putting the top up upon arriving at the office, so I was really only cycling it once every 24 hours. Of course, weekends are different as I won't leave it with the top down in a parking lot, unless I'm just dashing in and out of somewhere, so it sometimes gets cycled a few times in a day. 6 cycles a day for me just doesn't happen.

Sponsored

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I recently bought my 2015 with 5k miles and the top is perfect. I know that’s low mileage but still almost 5 years old. I have to ask, are some of these cars with problems being parked/stored outside or leaving top down for long periods of time?

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)

First, I’m very jealous. Two, I thought I had read/heard that it’s actually good to store it with the top UP as much as possible. It allows the top to remain stretched and less likely to have permanent creasing or loose elasticity. Any truth to that, you think?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
First, I’m very jealous. Two, I thought I had read/heard that it’s actually good to store it with the top UP as much as possible. It allows the top to remain stretched and less likely to have permanent creasing or loose elasticity. Any truth to that, you think?

My '16 I left the top down most of the time, if we were traveling (not using the Mustang), I'd put the top up, umm, for some reason, I guess in case it started raining in the garage :cwl:

When I sold it, the top seemed perfect, did not seem negatively impacted by spending 95% of the time down.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I think the top shrinking is more of a vinyl top issue than cloth, and also temperature related, as in low temperature, which our friend in FL probably doesn’t have to worry about, although I understand that above Orlando it can occasionally get cool there. I have driven with the top down as cool as the low 40s and not had any issue when I put it back up.

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I think the top shrinking is more of a vinyl top issue than cloth, and also temperature related, as in low temperature, which our friend in FL probably doesn’t have to worry about, although I understand that above Orlando it can occasionally get cool there. I have driven with the top down as cool as the low 40s and not had any issue when I put it back up.
Very good and valid points. My Midwest brain didn’t think of the more moderate climates.

Sponsored

andremk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
andre
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2016 california gt special v8
I had a roof replacement already 3 times and the problem stays , also after realignment. My car is again in the shop now, for almost a mount already. As it is still warranty. I do think the best thing to do if there is no more warranty is just to put a elastic string on the sides to help the cover go inside and not to get between the metal frame any more... if ford can not come with a proper solution.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
And it’s issues like this. Is the reason why I keep my top in storage and down when I know I’ll be used for extended periods. To minimizing the wear.

what I don’t understand is why ford hasn’t gone to a hard (retracted too). My dad is a BMW guy so I grew up around the German imports and they seemed to figure this out. Everyone has different tastes, I like the clean look of the couple but like the option for the top down too.

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I had a roof replacement already 3 times and the problem stays , also after realignment. My car is again in the shop now, for almost a mount already. As it is still warranty. I do think the best thing to do if there is no more warranty is just to put a elastic string on the sides to help the cover go inside and not to get between the metal frame any more... if ford can not come with a proper solution.
Holy crap - 3 replacements already?! I fear for my car.... ugh...

Good luck with your fixes.

Whoznex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Han
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost convertible
The top is dropped about 3 times a week for less then 20min at a time (how long it takes me to get home from work). Car is garage kept. The only problem I can think of is there is a black plastic flap piece that stretches roof in the truck. That piece was not attached on the side where I have the damages. I pushed it back in placed and it stay that way. Maybe the roof never stretched out properly and learned to fold properly on that side.

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Hey, you're living in the wrong part of Canada:)

Any day that is dry and above 5C is top down weather, regardless of time of year. In the prime months (April-October), the top is down pretty much every day. This season I started leaving the top down in the garage overnight and only putting the top up upon arriving at the office, so I was really only cycling it once every 24 hours. Of course, weekends are different as I won't leave it with the top down in a parking lot, unless I'm just dashing in and out of somewhere, so it sometimes gets cycled a few times in a day. 6 cycles a day for me just doesn't happen.
5 is cold even with heat turned on if you are not stuck in traffic. I m a salesman so when i stop somewhere i always close the top
Sponsored