Sponsored

Why are superchargers the prefer choice over turbochargers in the mustang comunity?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Also, I’m no mechanic... I’ve only done basic bolt-ons and maintenance.

so roughly what should I expect to pay for install on either applications?
FIgure 8-16 hours of labor depending on the kit. Depending on shop prices near you $100-$125 per hour.
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
There is no bad choice. Any option will give you enough power to require a parachute with relative ease.

I prefer turbos (after trying centri blowers AND PD type) largely due to the ease of adjustability for more power (push a button for more boost).

All of the talk about more "maintenance" is laughable. There are far more factory OEM turbocharged vehicles on the road today than supercharged negating the idea that they require more maintenance or break down more often or run "hot".

Buy what looks the best to you and what you can afford and get er done. No wrong answer here.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Price, and maintenance.

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
There is no bad choice. Any option will give you enough power to require a parachute with relative ease.

I prefer turbos (after trying centri blowers AND PD type) largely due to the ease of adjustability for more power (push a button for more boost).

All of the talk about more "maintenance" is laughable. There are far more factory OEM turbocharged vehicles on the road today than supercharged negating the idea that they require more maintenance or break down more often or run "hot".

Buy what looks the best to you and what you can afford and get er done. No wrong answer here.
Till you route your coolant line to your turbo and coolant feeds back to your oil pan and you fuck your shit up, lol. Happened to a buddy of mine, a lot more shit can go wrong with turbo kits, however, that isn't to say they aren't so difficult that people shouldn't get them.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Till you route your coolant line to your turbo and coolant feeds back to your oil pan and you fuck your shit up, lol. Happened to a buddy of mine, a lot more shit can go wrong with turbo kits, however, that isn't to say they aren't so difficult that people shouldn't get them.
Aw man I bet he was pissed!!!!

Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
My reason to prefer turbo;
A turbo is lighter on the motor. You need to make extra power just to drive the SC. And SC can snap the crank snout.

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
Aw man I bet he was pissed!!!!
Oh yeah he was real upset. Had milkshake coming out of his breathers, all in the pan; and has since done 3 oil changes and a few other things to flush it all out. Hopefully, he caught it in time as he realized something was wrong when he was getting milky build up on his windshield on his first break in drive, lmao.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
My reason to prefer turbo;
A turbo is lighter on the motor. You need to make extra power just to drive the SC. And SC can snap the crank snout.
Make no mistake, turbo cars have knocked the balancer off too. Seen it.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The balancer issue. Is more about improper instalation.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I think 2 reasons why superchargers are big in the Mustang world is that they come on factory hipo Fords like the Terminator, GT500, Lightning, etc and the fact that OHC V8 motors are just huge. Its a real PITA to get down in there. GMs didn't really come with much forced induction a decade ago and the motors are small. Turbos are very popular with the LS crowd. Kit for kit SC is cheaper but for diy setups there isn't a cheap supercharger or an ebay supercharger. Turbos are also popular with the import crowd obviously. Those mostly come turbo from the factory if any forced induction is used and I4, I6, motors are a breeze to wrench on and theres plenty of room. Also those small displacement motors just can't spare any power for turning blowers. Turbos are obviously superior for making big power but if you just want to add 200-300ish hp to a mustang a simple supercharger kit is really the easiest way to do it.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
A lot of misinformation in here.

The way most mid mount turbo set ups are now they take the same or less time to install vs a supercharger. LPF and hellion both can use the stock headers with just swapping out the driver side with a stock 11-14 header. Then you bolt the elbow for the turbos. Clock the turbos. Run the piping from the turbos to front bumper. Mount intercooler. Connect all piping to intercooler. Run pipe from intercooler up to the throttle body. Mount wastegates. T into coolant line and run coolant hoses to each turbo. That's it. Can also hook up a boost controller as most will do so you can have anywhere from 700-1400whp+ on the fly.

The only difference in cost is between the basic kits themselves. As in just the supercharger and whats needed for it to run and same with the turbo. You're talking maybe $1000-1500 difference between the two.
Both will need upgraded fuel systems. Both will need opg/cs. Both will need upgraded injectors.

Turbo kits run more efficiently, no parasitic loss and no having to swap pulley sizes for more power.

Maintenance? All you have to do is grease the turbo's once an oil change if that much. Or every other oil change. I haven't had to do anything other than normal maintenance for a regularly driven car. Regular oil changes and that's it.
Speaking mainly on LPF twin turbo kit with Comp oilless turbos.
More blower cars snap the snouts on the crank shaft. A few turbo cars have done it.

Alllll in alllll turbos are better bang for your buck, end of story.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You can find 50 state Carb legal supercharger kits, can't say the same for turbo kits. I would go turbo if I could get all of my obd2 monitors to go green with them.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think we should put Hellion and Procharger in a ring so we can finally get to the bottom of this “Witch one is better stuff”.

I few rounds and we will finally have an answer.

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think we should put Hellion and Procharger in a ring so we can finally get to the bottom of this “Witch one is better stuff”.

I few rounds and we will finally have an answer.
I had 15 GT running 10.7 @ 141 with my procharger stage 2 D1SC and E85, boss intake, MAK cat deletes, (14-15lbs of boost) 6r80

My 19 GT running 10.3 @ 140 with hellion sleeper kit and E85 (7lbs of boost) 10R80

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I had 15 GT running 10.7 @ 141 with my procharger stage 2 D1SC and E85, boss intake, MAK cat deletes, (14-15lbs of boost) 6r80

My 19 GT running 10.3 @ 140 with hellion sleeper kit and E85 (7lbs of boost) 10R80
Nice! I wonder what my car would do with a d1sc? Hmmmmm.
Sponsored