Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Something I alluded to earlier is that the OP never said what "tailgating" means to him. Basically to me the connotation is that someone was following closer than HE would have preferred.

Many self-righteous people in this thread may be tailgating every single day by this definition, because the person you are behind definitely has a different standard for tailgating than you do. And that is the assumption I started with when I posted in this thread. Whether or not I personally think I'm following too closely, the person in front of me might think I'm too close.
that and not all tailgaters are being assholes. I had a guy in a truck tailgating me. He pulled up beside me and told me he was just wanting to enjoy my exhaust. happened again 2 days ago. I was on a 3 lane interstate, in the middle lane, and with no one around us. 2 young dudes in a big Ford truck were right on my ass. No doubt they were doing the same. I could see them talking about it and motioning. When y girlfriend follow behind me she does the same thing. drives me nuts but I'd probably do the same thing.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Something I alluded to earlier is that the OP never said what "tailgating" means to him. Basically to me the connotation is that someone was following closer than HE would have preferred.

Many self-righteous people in this thread may be tailgating every single day by this definition, because the person you are behind definitely has a different standard for tailgating than you do. And that is the assumption I started with when I posted in this thread. Whether or not I personally think I'm following too closely, the person in front of me might think I'm too close.

edit: and people who are judging others don't know how I define tailgating or what I do in traffic. I might leave a larger gap than you do.

Basically the point I'm trying to make is that people should try to be tolerant of each other.
Back when people used to give a crap about learning to drive, I remember the driver's handbook AND my driving instructor saying 2 seconds following distance was the closest you want to get. Less than that and it's tailgating. We all know in the current driving climate, it's almost like driving backwards if you adhere to that rule because that gap end up just being an invitation for someone to impose their douchery. Taking multiple lanes out of the equation because this is a 2 lane road, there is no reason that rule shouldn't be followed. Guy ran a stop sign and got being the OP, if the OP is going 3mph or 120mph, the person behind him should have maintained a 2 second distance and then passed when it's safe to do so. Of course, emotions, past experiences, and other circumstances all weigh into how the situation was perceived by both parties involved. Ultimately it's done and over with so now karma is all we can hope for.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
I have to chuckle a bit here with some of the immature responses. I understand being frustrated with the blue hairs heading to Walgreens for their meds holding up traffic, but it is what it is. Tailgating doesn't change their speed.

That being said, the public roadway is not your personal racetrack. I routinely drive at or just above the posted speed because I enjoy my low insurance premiums and the roads I drive are heavily patrolled. I take my ego and aggressions out on track days ... that's what they are designed for.

People also need to keep in mind that the world is changing. There are many vehicles out there that are speed limited company cars/vans/trucks that couldn't get out of your way if they wanted. The vehicle I drive daily is limited to 65 and I have no control over who it pisses off or doesn't. Have some patience.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever! This is why I hate sharing the road with all of you. If somebody wants to get by let em. How hard is that? I mean you don't know what that person's reasons are.
Many years ago I go ta phone call & left a military base at a high rate of speed. At the exit gate 2 MPs put up a road block and with M16s held across their chest demanded to know what I was doing driving so fast. I explained my wife is delivering a baby and I promised to be there. They scrambled to remove the barricade! LOL
Somebody's mother or child might be dying. Somebody's house might be on fire. You don't know - Don't be a jerk.

I'm out :sunglasses:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Whatever! This is why I hate sharing the road with all of you. If somebody wants to get by let em. How hard is that? I mean you don't know what that person's reasons are.
Many years ago I go ta phone call & left a military base at a high rate of speed. At the exit gate 2 MPs put up a road block and with M16s held across their chest demanded to know what I was doing driving so fast. I explained my wife is delivering a baby and I promised to be there. They scrambled to remove the barricade! LOL
Somebody's mother or child might be dying. Somebody's house might be on fire. You don't know - Don't be a jerk.

Uuummm that why our taxes pay for those one dudes...you know in those vehicles with the flashing lights.....you aren't gonna get there any faster than them and you're putting yourself and all of us in danger letting your emotions drive your car.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
OP has not stated what his speed was. Until he does, statements like those are nothing but conjecture without basis. IOW, "what-if's".

No wonder road rage exists (and what are you interpreting all those special characters in the title of this very thread to indicate?). Enjoyment need only mean not having to drive in lock-step with some other driver who's driving literally just a couple of mph slower than you would.

Norm
Legally you can drive as much as 30mph below the posted speed limit of course depending on the road. So op has the right legally to go 25 in a 45. If he chooses... If you're stuck behind him it sucks to be you, but he's in the right to drive that regardless.

All that said let's not kid ourselves here we know that likely OP was going posted speed limit. The s550 guy was going 20+ over. Was hoped up on adrenaline and got but hurt that the op "was in his way" and didnt move... So he decided to tailgate and be reckless like an entitled loser...

Driving like that is wrong and shouldnt be defended and it hurts all of us as a community, cause when that idiot eventually falls off the mountain or kills a family now cops are going to beef up harassment on sports cars and target s550s specifically...

Do we really need more attention from cops because one idiot had to play vin diesel...

I dont know ur auto background but I owned a import in the 2000s and I would get pulled over almost everynight after 10pm for bogus reasons because kids were street racing in the area and cops started targeting imports... It's not cool.

Last edited:

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

On a twisty mountain road most places you cant just let them by. And it doesnt matter you arent entitled to forcing someone to yield because you want to play race car driver...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I don't tailgate. It puts stone chips in the paint. Only idiots tailgate or impede traffic.
The law states that once five or more cars have formed a line behind the slower driver, the slow driver is required to pull off the roadway at the earliest safe opportunity to let the following cars pass. And all you righteous handicapped drivers need to obey the law. You can do this for any number of faster moving cars behind you. It's called courtesy.
Not being courteous is rude and small minded.
Just last weekend I was in a line of no less than 30 cars following a slow car 35 miles down a mountain road.
Sucks to be you bro... You could have pulled off and taken some pictures and waited for traffic to clear... No one owes you anything...

All they have to do is comply with the law. If they didnt feel safe to drive faster or pull over, tough luck. You wait...

I've encountered lots of cyclists, Harley riders and honda groms on the mountains... You wait, or u pull over and chill... You dont tail gate or drive like a moron and risk killing someone... if a cop was there you wouldnt drive like a dick right? So what's different?

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Sucks to be you bro... You could have pulled off and taken some pictures and waited for traffic to clear... No one owes you anything...

All they have to do is comply with the law. If they didnt feel safe to drive faster or pull over, tough luck. You wait...

I've encountered lots of cyclists, Harley riders and honda groms on the mountains... You wait, or u pull over and chill... You dont tail gate or drive like a moron and risk killing someone... if a cop was there you wouldnt drive like a dick right? So what's different?
Apparently you cant drive and now we see you can't read either :cwl::cwl::cwl: Sucks to be me? IDTS

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
when i lived at the base of Big Bear i didnt get annoyed when someone was doing the speed limit, I did how ever get annoyed when someone was doing the speed limit and a row of cars behind them holding up traffic and wouldnt pull over in the pass areas or speed up so no one would pass them on double lane sections. I was on a bike usually but it sucks to have to do 50-60-70-80 to pass someone in a 35 because they wanna play police. Luckily i never got caught, but once and he let me go. i guess he understood? it was 65 in a 45 and a whole line of cars and the guy doing 30 in his RV.

If youre the guy holding people up then pull over in the areas designated and let them go by.
Baldwin lake?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
So is the OP attitude is you have a reason & a right to block, delay, hinder somebody else's progress, use, or enjoyment of the road because you got there first. And what you are doing is righteous and the other person is wrong. And that is why you are denying them passage !? Is that keeps going through the heads of the slow car drivers that won't pull over ahead of me!?

yeah, in what world is driving according to the law and the basic rule considered blocking, delaying and hindering?

OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
OP has not stated what his speed was. Until he does, statements like those are nothing but conjecture without basis. IOW, "what-if's".

No wonder road rage exists (and what are you interpreting all those special characters in the title of this very thread to indicate?). Enjoyment need only mean not having to drive in lock-step with some other driver who's driving literally just a couple of mph slower than you would.

Norm
I was going 10 mph over the posted speed. the other driver was being totally unreasonable and trying to force me into doing something i was not willing to do.

OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra

edit: and people who are judging others don't know how I define tailgating or what I do in traffic. I might leave a larger gap than you do.

Basically the point I'm trying to make is that people should try to be tolerant of each other.

hard to be exact but i'd guess less than 10' off my bumper and even closer a few times.

OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Our Sherriff patrols drive undercover Scat pack challengers and S550 mustangs. you never know when one of them is behind you or beside you trying to set you up

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra