jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Just some fyi on the ST43's...

I've got a bit over 11 hours at Gingerman on mine, running on average 1:42's/1:43's, some laps knocking on 1:39's door, and still have 7mm of material left.. 4k total miles on them including the track time as I leave them on for street and drive to the track with them... they are pricey, but seem to last pretty well so far! they do squeal quite a bit on street once the transfer layer is scraped off though!
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

How many pad changes are you getting out of a set of rotors? I saw one video saying you needed to change rotors when you change pads which sounds rediculous to me. This thing isnt going to space. A few sets of pads should be fine I'd think. Use the visit when its rotor change time.
measure rotor thickness, keep an eye on them for cracking... def don't have to replace at same time, that's what most people do for street driving, but for track time that rule doesn't make sense.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Just some fyi on the ST43's...

I've got a bit over 11 hours at Gingerman on mine, running on average 1:42's/1:43's, some laps knocking on 1:39's door, and still have 7mm of material left.. 4k total miles on them including the track time as I leave them on for street and drive to the track with them... they are pricey, but seem to last pretty well so far! they do squeal quite a bit on street once the transfer layer is scraped off though!
Thank you for the feedback, very helpful. That sounds like stunning wear! I figure i average 1.7 hours of track time per day, so my oem front pads are toast around 8hrs. This is down to 2mm from 9.5 new.

Are there any deals to be had on the ST43’s, or is it pretty much $400 for front set from Porterfield and $200 for the rear? I can’t find them on eBay.

The noise will be a little annoying but I really just use this car for track duty and driving there for events. Do you notice a big difference in performance? Oem does seem to get a little soft mid session and require more pedal pressure. Do you use them in rear as well?

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I buy from LPI, haven't seen any cheaper options out there. $400 front $200 rear... free ship and no tax from them though...

I run them square, and they feel consistent, guessing 25 minutes is longest i've run them at one time. similar wear in the rears which could be from not turning stability control completely off, not sure how much this system causes additional brake wear but seems far less intrusive than my old s197 chassis did!

rear rotors still look like new and may last a long long time but haven't measured thickness yet, fronts have the "normal" light checking and based on thickness i'm guessing will last thru 2 sets of pads which may be close to 2 seasons for me so i'm happy.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I run in track and don’t notice much interference if any. Sport is even quite unobtrusive, although that’s track dependent a bit. Tracks like gingerman with long higher speed sweepers seem to set off the nannies more than wipping twisties at Waterford hills. Only time Ive been glad they were there is two spots at grattan where the car loses spring compression and coming down wot on the rear could cause a spin out (ie need throttle balancing if all Nannies are off or you are spinning).

I have a set of spare rotors I can still return. Was going to keep them to have a backup spare set (especially for multi day weekends) and in case service is backed up and/or has to order replacements and I have an upcoming track day. Maybe I’ll just keep the front rotors and leave the rears if it looks like rear rotors can last 3+ years of heavy track use. Agree I’m seeing zero rotor issues on rear as well, but only killed 2 sets of rear oem pads yet. I’ll measure them and probably only keep the non drilled fronts for my spare, put that cash to the st43s.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
just measured mine, 35.7 front and 25.8 rear... pretty minimal wear IMO.

Turn 5/6 is where i usually feel the nanny at gman. doesn't really kick in anywhere else unless I messed up haha

I'm going to grattan for first time next month so will keep that in mind!

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I spoke to my service manager about this plan and he insists it doesn’t cover rotors, which kills a lot of it’s value for me coupled with needing to have pads 2mm or less. Might consider a 6 visit plan for 6 years for about a grand I think, as at least 6 oil changes at $140 is break even plus some pads thrown in for good measure, then insurance in case I need a clutch within 6 years.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
yeah rotors not included. however...

i'll eat crow on this (see my posts earlier in this thread). i may consider this prem mainten plan now with a recent price quote i got. looking at the 8yr/36k @ 5k mi intervals for $880 (with full synthetic included). with my car coming on 1 yr soon, i'll have 7 visits to use anytime for 7 more yrs. with brake pads and more included ( see https://fordprotect.ford.com/premium-maintenance-plan ), this is really tempting. i'd also push for the new FL-2087 filter and not the old FL-2062; i'd hope they'd use the new one.

i'd want to actually watch them do the work though when i take the car in.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve decided to pass on this. I wore my rear brakes down to the wear bars, they were annoying squealing, and measured 3mm still! This plan won’t cover them until 2mm. To hell with it, ordered Raybestos st43 race pads for $600 last week, tired of doing pad swaps every 5 track days anyway (7-8 on rear). It’s a pita to take the car in and schedule visits as well, much nicer to do at home.

That said, $880 for 7 visits is $125.71 per oil change if that is all you have done, and that’s cheaper than I pay $145 each oil change for. I doubt I will use any other part of the plan, but where did you get that price? Anderson? I’m fine having them change oil.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve decided to pass on this. I wore my rear brakes down to the wear bars, they were annoying squealing, and measured 3mm still! This plan won’t cover them until 2mm. To hell with it, ordered Raybestos st43 race pads for $600 last week, tired of doing pad swaps every 5 track days anyway (7-8 on rear). It’s a pita to take the car in and schedule visits as well, much nicer to do at home.

That said, $880 for 7 visits is $125.71 per oil change if that is all you have done, and that’s cheaper than I pay $145 each oil change for. I doubt I will use any other part of the plan, but where did you get that price? Anderson? I’m fine having them change oil.
I have a contact at Ziegler. I used them for my recent Chrysler purchase as well. I can give you the contact if you want, just message me.
Sponsored