Sponsored

Real World C8 tests by Motortrend (Compare to GT500)

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Show me the video of it doing 0-100 in 2.8 or is it because someone said it means it can do it?
Sponsored

TexxasGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2018 Rator, 2020 GT500
I think Ford only said one stat that was not "estimated", and that was the 0-100-0.
0-100-0 in 10.6

Ford claims the new GT500 is able to sprint from 0-100 mph and back to zero again in just 10.6 seconds.

Below 10.9 1/4 Mile at 6:30 in video. Ford not releasing 1/4 mile going to let journalist.

10.8 1/4 mile or better in the base GT500

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The C8 is fantastic and the GT500 looks beaten in (edited): Almost all aspects.

0-60 2.8 seconds
60-0 97 feet
1/4 mile 11.1 seconds
3622 lbs

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/che...rolet-corvette-stingray-c8-first-test-review/
Just about every article I’ve read says the c8 z51 is a disappointment. The base c7 z51 beats it in handling and braking distance. That’s sad. We already know why it runs a good 0-60.

Look up the Road &Track and Car and Driver review.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Roy that first post was a little melodramatic. No one races to sixty. It'll probably be a good race for 300 feet. After that the GT500 will blow by like the Vette is standing still. If the mustang doesnt stop on a dime with those giant heavy rotors up front. Someone at ford should be fired. And handling??? We'll know something one of these days for the 500.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Roy that first post was a little melodramatic. No one races to sixty. It'll probably be a good race for 300 feet. After that the GT500 will blow by like the Vette is standing still. If the mustang doesnt stop on a dime with those giant heavy rotors up front. Someone at ford should be fired. And handling??? We'll know something one of these days for the 500.
The c8 handles worse than the base c7. It’s def not going to handle better than a GT500

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don’t think most people understand what mid-engine means.

It means if you turn off the traction control the car spins. There is no weight in the front to keep the car straight in a over-steer situation. The engine in the front makes a car recoverable with the tail out. Think of a pendulum.

It also mean it will curb stomp the GT500 on the street in the Z06 (650hp) trim. Just the reality of weight over the wheels. The traction will be there.

The GT500 will be quicker on the strip as well as the track though. The ability to over steer in the 500 will make it quicker on the track. Oversteering a C8 without nannies just isn’t realistic. Front engine should also help the 500 with braking vs the toy.

These as two completely different cars. One will be the ultimate old man spin cycle and the other will be a tire roasting track monster.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

It means if you turn off the traction control the car spins. There is no weight in the front to keep the car straight in a over-steer situation. The engine in the front makes a car recoverable with the tail out. Think of a pendulum.

It also mean it will curb stomp the GT500 on the street in the Z06 (650hp) trim. Just the reality of weight over the wheels. The traction will be there.

The GT500 will be quicker on the strip as well as the track though. The ability to over steer in the 500 will make it quicker on the track. Oversteering a C8 without nannies just isn’t realistic. Front engine should also help the 500 with braking vs the toy.

These as two completely different cars. One will be the ultimate old man spin cycle and the other will be a tire roasting track monster.
You mean won’t spin if traction control is turned off. Very minimal at this power level. No doubt Zo6 trim c8 will beat a GT500.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You mean won’t spin if traction control is turned off. Very minimal at this power level. No doubt Zo6 trim c8 will beat a GT500.
I was more talking about turning off the traction control and spinning the car itself. 500hp is more than enough to break loose any UHP street tire if turning on the gas.

Bottom line is these cars without nannies won’t drift or power slide. They will spin.

Drifting is like playing on a razor blade in mid engine cars.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Another thread that needs to be in the off topic section the mods are sleeping or turning a blind eye again

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, MotorTrend produced these figures. Not some GM hype bullshit. The 2.8 0-60 is better than GM said wasn't it? I thought GM said 2.9.
Motor trend is the most gm biased POS magazine out there. You race your magazine and I'll drive the GT500 and kick you magazine racing ass

Sponsored
OP
OP
roygriffin2020

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Motor trend is the most gm biased POS magazine out there. You race your magazine and I'll drive the GT500 and kick you magazine racing ass
I thought they were Mustang lovers as in the GT350R vs ZL1 and they picked the GT350R

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Just about every article I’ve read says the c8 z51 is a disappointment. The base c7 z51 beats it in handling and braking distance. That’s sad. We already know why it runs a good 0-60.

Look up the Road &Track and Car and Driver review.
Yup such a disappointment. I mean why would i pay 67 grand for a 1lt z51 and get a slow ass car 0-60 in 2.8s quarter mile in 11.1 and above 1g lateral? There are faster cars out there for less money like GT350R. It is totally a disappointment. I was expecting 0-60 mph less than 2 seconds quarter mile in the 10’s and a roadcoarse warrior hang with a ZR1 c7 vette. I ll pass.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

The test cars were pre production models. Everyone complained about the braking problem. It is an easy fix on GM’s side with programming the abs system.

Matt Farrah from smoking tires tested the car and he loved it in the video. He was smiling and laughing like a little kid from joy. During the drive he only complained about not being able to rev the car higher and he hit the rev limiter couple of times. You gotta live with the car to actually get used to it. He mentally assumed driving a Porsche or a high revving exotic while driving the c8. The car gave him that feeling with the new setup but minus the engine characteristics of an exotic. He also commented on the abs system/ braking being off. Those are totally normal considering most of the weight being in the back and the front of the car trying to do most of the biting while braking. It is an underengineering and a miss on GM’s side, luckily, a programming can fix that.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The test cars were pre production models. Everyone complained about the braking problem. It is an easy fix on GM’s side with programming the abs system.
GM is well known for shitty brakes and power steering I can see the recalls coming already.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Jason Cammisa added some insights over on a Vette forum:

I mean it when I say that GM does some of the best chassis tuning in the business. They have a secret sauce on the C7 and Alpha-plaform vehicles that somehow gives steering response at the understeer limit. This violates the laws of physics — you can get those cars to go neutral even after they've started understeering, using the steering alone. It's likely a combination of MR dampers, diff, and really good elastokinematics. The cars are unbelievable. They're some of the most rewarding limit-handling cars ever made.

The C8 doesn't do this.

I'm in the business of not getting hard-working people fired, so there will be no names ever given. Put it this way: GM confirmed to me the limit-handling magic trick that the Alpha/C7 cars do isn't possible on the C8 for engineering reasons. But they're working on it. I suspect subsequent versions of the C8 will do this trick... but the Stingray will remain a resolute understeerer for production.

Let's talk about understeer. Does that mean that the C8 is less rewarding on a track for an advanced driver than it could/should be? Yes. Does it mean it should/could be faster around a track? Absolutely.

Does any of that make it a bad car — or a bad Corvette? Of course not. It's one data point!

You guys are clearly enthused about the car, and nobody wants to hear bad things about something they're excited about. I get that — but please, let's keep the conspiracy theories under control. There's no plan to sell additional magazines. I don't want, need, or care to re-spark a career that's not dead. (By the way, I didn't suddenly reappear at R&T; I've been working with those guys since Travis took over 6 months ago. I have a tech column in every issue.)

And as for "perspective:" the thing is fast as (insert profanity here.) Beats every Corvette ever tested to 60 mph; nearly ties the C7 Z06/Z07pkg through the quarter mile. That's a huge achievement, especially given no substantive power bump over the C7 Stingray. I wrote a big tech piece for R&T's Performance Car of the Year issue on that, explaining how it's possible. It's simple physics, and GM's intelligent guys and gals took advantage of the physics benefits of MR traction and a quick-shifting DCT. They did good.
Sponsored