Sponsored

2019 PP2 MT82 to charge or not to charge.

L0g23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I've only owned manual cars, went from a 1st gen Eclipse GSX to a Cobalt SS/SC to a 370Z ,I picked up a PP2 MT82 in august from Lebanon ford and I love it so far. I was looking at doing a Roush Stage 2 next year. LFP has an 800hp whipple kit but they recommend using an auto for that setup.

For those of you with a boosted manual was it worth it? I may look at trading in a year or two for an automatic car since pretty much everything I've been reading says that the trans with boost is just a much better car.

Can dealers usually work out favorable arrangements trading in that soon?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I've only owned manual cars, went from a 1st gen Eclipse GSX to a Cobalt SS/SC to a 370Z ,I picked up a PP2 MT82 in august from Lebanon ford and I love it so far. I was looking at doing a Roush Stage 2 next year. LFP has an 800hp whipple kit but they recommend using an auto for that setup.

For those of you with a boosted manual was it worth it? I may look at trading in a year or two for an automatic car since pretty much everything I've been reading says that the trans with boost is just a much better car.

Thanks in advance!
That is baloney. Keep the manual.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
trans with boost is just a much better car.
In what aspect is it a "much better car"? Sure the autos will always be faster in a straight line, and if you have to DD it in rush hour traffic the auto is better. From a driving enjoyment perspective, from an engagement and involvement perspective a manual will always be King. Of course anyone who can't properly drive a manual will tell you otherwise. You may find that the OEM clutch will need to be upgraded to handle all of the torque from the Whipple.

OP
OP

L0g23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
In what aspect is it a "much better car"? Sure the autos will always be faster in a straight line, and if you have to DD it in rush hour traffic the auto is better. From a driving enjoyment perspective, from an engagement and involvement perspective a manual will always be King. Of course anyone who can't properly drive a manual will tell you otherwise. You may find that the OEM clutch will need to be upgraded to handle all of the torque from the Whipple.
Clutch I dont mind. Some of the posts about blowing 4th gear had me a bit worried. I did get the extended warranty (my grandfather retired from Ford so I got a discount on it). I believe that would be covered if I have the dealer install the kit.

Sponsored

Teej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 401A, PP2 & 2017 Mazda 6 6spd

Thanks in advance!
Ordered my PP2 from LFP as well. Had them install the Roush kit (so it keeps warranty), MGW shifter (because I didn't feel like dealing with that), Corsa exhaust (because they already had to have the old exhaust off for the shifter), SS clutch line, and clutch spring. Anything else I will install myself.

I drove it stock for 2 weeks and didn't really like the clutch feel with the stock spring. After they switched out the spring I love it now. Much easier to drive.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Clutch I dont mind. Some of the posts about blowing 4th gear had me a bit worried. I did get the extended warranty (my grandfather retired from Ford so I got a discount on it). I believe that would be covered if I have the dealer install the kit.
Historically the MT-82 is not one of the better manuals out there. Unfortunately Ford opted to give the good manual only to the GT350. I believe Ford did address the shift fork issues with the Early MT-82d4 transmissions. People blow up the autos too, it really all comes down to how and where you drive it. If it's just a street car with street tires, you will be fine. If your launching it on a prepped track with sticky tires, do the Auto or a T-56 magnum swap.

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 2019 Ford Raptor 2018 Cadillac Escalade
I’m running a Roush stage 1 700 HP with MT82 and love it. No worries at all with the stick. I can shift mine at redline and never have an issue.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue

Thanks in advance!
Crap yes...do it! I done did it. Your turn! Makes our PPL2 cars all that much better.

Sponsored

Mavtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1 #3530
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 PP2 and im completely sold on a supercharger. I just got to save to play. Hard to pick between dealership warranty vs whipple.

Rebirth_18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Thanks in advance!
I had a 18 PP M6 and was one of the people affected by the shift fork issue. Ford fixed it and they were solid after that. The stock clutch will have to be upgraded it really is not a good unit it's a half assed attempt to give us a good clutch by Ford and IMO is the main reason for the shift fork failures. I replaced the stock unit after getting my car back from Ford a couple months later with a RXT and was wonderful after that with a FBO E85 Cobra Jet setup on it, 8k shifts were a breeze. I did wind up trading it in on an auto, but I wouldn't have hesitated to boost that car.

Kmp013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 1990 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4X4 1971 Chevrolet C20
I have had a Whipple Gen 5 Stage 1 on my 2019 PP2 car since day one and now have almost 10,000 miles on it. It has been a great car and I have done two track days with the car. I have no issues with the transmission and can shift at redline. I also installed the Ford Performance Short Throw shifter the day after I got the car.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
You'll love it!:inlove:

Just make sure you do all the supporting mods, especially if you plan on drag racing it.

jmorris47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
A SC Mustang PPL2 is one of the greatest joys you will ever know. Among other mods, I do have a MGW shifter and a Steeda clutch pedal assist spring. I highly recommend both to help you enjoy the manual transmission.
Sponsored