Sponsored

GT500 vs It's competitors: Is it really overprice ?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
are you saying its impossible or innaccurate to measure time with video? I sort of have a good background in timed events.. more than a hobbyist.

answer carefully ;)

and updated the post with Billy J saying that wasnt even its fastest pass+had a passenger :)
Both have run at Gratton, there is video. 1.21 for GT500 ( Billy J claims that was not even the fastest pass, and had a passenger), 1.26 for C8. this is not debatable
0-60, C8
BUT - 1/4 mile, either you take conjecture and paper racing claims for both, or you take them for neither. The only reviews of C8s are at $88k.
you can SAY it can be done with less options or equipment, but if you SAY that, then its just as true as Carl and Owens SAYING its going to go 10's "and it wont be 10.9" (direct quote from Owens) and just as true as billy J saying its even faster than that.
I am not at all saying it can’t and I actually hope it does. But it’s not a tested, posted time. The Stingray times are. I never said GT500 was out of the game. I said they haven’t putted yet. Dammit, another golf analogy. When they putt, then we’ll mark the scorecard. Until then, Stingray is on the board, GT500 is on the fairway.
Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
are you saying its impossible or innaccurate to measure time with video? I sort of have a good background in timed events.. more than a hobbyist.

answer carefully ;)

and updated the post with Billy J saying that wasnt even its fastest pass+had a passenger :)
If that time was actually done, there would be a huge media uproar praising that time. There is no video of the car doing the whole lap. So saying 1:21 is the time could lead to disappointment when it actually gets tested. I would much rather wait for actual testing then assume the car did a full lap and got that time. Just think of the criticism if when tested doesn’t get that time based off what your saying it got.

jcartwright734

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dream car
You guys need a time out! Lol

Well, I can say one thing for certain. GM, Ford, and the media have certainly fanned the flames with these cars that aren’t even on the lots yet.

That said, you bet I’ll be watching Leno’s Garage tonight!

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
If that time was actually done, there would be a huge media uproar praising that time. There is no video of the car doing the whole lap. So saying 1:21 is the time could lead to disappointment when it actually gets tested. I would much rather wait for actual testing then assume the car did a full lap and got that time. Just think of the criticism if when tested doesn’t get that time based off what your saying it got.
Not trying to fan the flames here, but if memory serves me correct that video was quite long (5'ish minutes), showing the cars completing multiple laps.

Now, that's not to say the video wasn't edited, but it certainly didn't appear to have been. Considering the cars were shown to be making multiple complete laps, it's reasonable to say the 1:21 time is as close as we can get without using transponders or track sensors. It's not much different than standing at the track with a stopwatch. As precise as a transponder or track sensors, no. But VERY close.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to fan the flames here, but if memory serves me correct that video was quite long (5'ish minutes), showing the cars completing multiple laps.

Now, that's not to say the video wasn't edited, but it certainly didn't appear to have been. Considering the cars were shown to be making multiple complete laps, it's reasonable to say the 1:21 time is as close as we can get without using transponders or track sensors. It's not much different than standing at the track with a stopwatch. As precise as a transponder or track sensors, no. But VERY close.

It may of run that time, but there is to many unknowns to say the stock gt500 did it that fast. Was it bone stock? Did it have stock tires? Did the whole track get utilized? Was it edited? Just saying it’s better to wait for actual test then go around saying it did this track in 1:21. Because if it doesn’t match it, it will get criticized big time. I would rather wait then take a chance of getting egg in my face. IMHO

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
It may of run that time, but there is to many unknowns to say the stock gt500 did it that fast. Was it bone stock? Did it have stock tires? Did the whole track get utilized? Was it edited? Just saying it’s better to wait for actual test then go around saying it did this track in 1:21. Because if it doesn’t match it, it will get criticized big time. I would rather wait then take a chance of getting egg in my face. IMHO
It was bone stock with stock tires and a passenger.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Now, that's not to say the video wasn't edited, but it certainly didn't appear to have been.
Chill: I completely agree with that and while I'm not a professional videographer or editor, I've shot and edited lots of video. I have also watched that particular clip multiple times as well as pulled it into my editing software. I see no evidence of tampering with the original clip. FWIW.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was bone stock with stock tires and a passenger.
It may be. Just seems odd that if there just dubbing at this track with a passenger and yet get the fasting time ever set by over a sec. and not say anything about it just seems off. This would be a huge publicity benefit as it would show it really kick butt at the track. Way better then the numbers they have thrown out, especially since the car is in production as we speak. It would really shut the naysayers up. IMHO

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
It may be. Just seems odd that if there just dubbing at this track with a passenger and yet get the fasting time ever set by over a sec. and not say anything about it just seems off. This would be a huge publicity benefit as it would show it really kick butt at the track. Way better then the numbers they have thrown out, especially since the car is in production as we speak. It would really shut the naysayers up. IMHO
I agree with you but Ford never posts track times.
They are not even releasing a 1/4 mile time.
I wish they would brag a little more but if the GT500 beats almost everything I for one, will be happy.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you but Ford never posts track times.
They are not even releasing a 1/4 mile time.
I wish they would brag a little more but if the GT500 beats almost everything I for one, will be happy.
Saying the GT500 did Gratten in 1:21 is much better then saying 0-60 in mid 3’s and sub 11 1/4 mile.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Is the $86K GT500 with painted on stripes faster or slower than the $76k GT500 without stripes? Same comparison with regard to a Stingray 1LT vs 3LT. Content difference is stuff that 3LT has that 1LT doesn’t. Tell me which ones make the 3LT go faster and I’ll agree with you:
  • Turn Signal indicator in mirror
  • Choice of 9 different interior trims and colors
  • Ability to order custom red stitching (that oughta be good for a tenth, right?)
  • Premium audio setup
  • GT2 seat instead of GT1 seat
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Cargo nets
  • Rear Camera Mirror
  • Ability to order the auto incline feature at additional cost
  • Interior motion sensor
  • Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
The other free flow options that the $88k car had were:
  • Interior carbon fiber trim
  • The aforementioned auto incline feature (not part of 3LT package, but you have to order 2LT or 3LT to be able to order it)
So, NOT ordering which of those things listed above will actually prevent the $67,000 Stingray 1LT Z51 from achieving 2.8s 0-60 and 11.1s 1/4 mile. If anyone wants to help V00D00 out with this one, please do, because I apparently am missing something critical here.
I am not at all saying it can’t and I actually hope it does. But it’s not a tested, posted time. The Stingray times are. I never said GT500 was out of the game. I said they haven’t putted yet. Dammit, another golf analogy. When they putt, then we’ll mark the scorecard. Until then, Stingray is on the board, GT500 is on the fairway.
Again, can you verify anything, or must you go off an educated guess? if not, you either take the good and the bad and statements for both, or neither. your choice
they havent and wont release anything until 10/31. to include any grattan time. why is this so hard to believe. the video is ther. original was unedited, mine that shows the 1.21 was only edited to show the timing point. simple why is it hard to believe when its right in front of you - AND THEN CONFIRMED BY BILLYJ "it wasnt the fastest lap either"

yes, multiple laps, only cut to show a measurable start/stop and the time. its impossible for the car to have gone slower in the course, and then somehow sped up.

its the same trolls and haters looking for reasons to talk.

They probably still get their info from cnn/msnbc as well. Its all the same low IQ chatter

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Again, can you verify anything, or must you go off an educated guess? if not, you either take the good and the bad and statements for both, or neither. your choice

they havent and wont release anything until 10/31. to include any grattan time. why is this so hard to believe. the video is ther. original was unedited, mine that shows the 1.21 was only edited to show the timing point. simple why is it hard to believe when its right in front of you - AND THEN CONFIRMED BY BILLYJ "it wasnt the fastest lap either"

yes, multiple laps, only cut to show a measurable start/stop and the time. its impossible for the car to have gone slower in the course, and then somehow sped up.

its the same trolls and haters looking for reasons to talk.

They probably still get their info from cnn/msnbc as well. Its all the same low IQ chatter
agenda news is not news. And agenda posting is obvious from a mile away.

It is baffling why haters join a pro-whatever forum only to sling mud and pretend to just be having a nice discussion over... tea or something.

Ah, it’s not that baffling to be honest. When I was new to forum discussions, I did the same type of thing. But there’s an old expression: “it takes one to know one.” So it’s not that we can’t understand why people troll. It’s that we can simply spot them right away.

That said, I’m thinking the GT500 Grattan time is faster than we think it is. If true, that’s scary since it is already way beyond what it should be doing. So scary that info comes out on Halloween? LOL

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
I was directly responding to your initial claim that "There is no video of the car doing the whole lap", which in fact there was. Multiple laps. We've heard from Billy and others that the car was stock (why would it not be?) and that this wasn't the fastest lap -- note that Billy did NOT refute the legitimacy of our stopwatch time estimate, but rather said it wasn't the fastest. :rockon: And finally, there is only one configuration for Grattan Raceway as far as I know.

So yes, technically we do not "know" that the 1:21 time is correct. However, using logic with the evidence we have coupled with some deductive reasoning, it certainly seems very likely that the car did in fact run that time.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I was directly responding to your initial claim that "There is no video of the car doing the whole lap", which in fact there was. Multiple laps. We've heard from Billy and others that the car was stock (why would it not be?) and that this wasn't the fastest lap -- note that Billy did NOT refute the legitimacy of our stopwatch time estimate, but rather said it wasn't the fastest. :rockon: And finally, there is only one configuration for Grattan Raceway as far as I know.

So yes, technically we do not "know" that the 1:21 time is correct. However, using logic with the evidence we have coupled with some deductive reasoning, it certainly seems very likely that the car did in fact run that time.
You are applying logic reason and experience to someone who is 100% a troll. here only to attempt to talk down. doubt me,? just look at his post history. everything is anti ford and pro gm.

Just Plain Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
Sold - 2015 GT 50 th Anniversary
If u like the 500 and can afford it, it’s not overpriced.
Life is short, enjoy what you enjoy.
Sponsored